Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    What is the device on the left?
    It's a Zune HD stuck inside a case. I seriously cannot get it out.
    Thanked by:
    palandri and tissotti like this.
    iHeart does the job for me. I get to listen to sports radio kjr, and kiss fm 106.1 in Seattle. I love clear channel stations, now it is pretty much the only ones I listen too.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

Quote Originally Posted by algs26 View Post
    It's a Zune HD stuck inside a case. I seriously cannot get it out.
    My Zune hd was in that same case until the case broke a month ago lol.
    Banned

Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    FM Radio is nice to have when you don't want to use data/WiFi to stream the same local station on a delay. Audio is crisper on actual FM than it is using Tune-In or a similar app. Lately I've just been loading my Lumia with music off of Zune Pass and going that route. Paired with decent earbuds this is an enjoyable experience. However, the radio does come in handy so I can't fault anyone for including it. It would be a shame not to have it.

Can some one please answer the two questions asked in the original post?

1. Can a firmware upgrade enable the FM receiver functionality?

2. Can a third party app access the hardware chip and allow a user to access FM radio channels?

disappointing. I use radio too.
    And many of you'll are assuming that just because in your country fm is not used it is the same everywhere. In some places fm is still popular.

Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    wtf........... I didnt know I had a radio option on my samsung lolol!!!

Hi,

Is there any news yet about any of the wp8 phones supporting FM radio? Data limits here are atrocious and its a primary use for me.

Thanks
    EnolaB29 likes this.

I don't know about its inclusiveness in WP8 or not. While not a major feature, I can attest to the usefullness of this feature. Like others mentioned it comes in handy if you are out of cell range. It gives you freedom from cell data when you want that freedom. It is a differentiator; A small source of bravado of what WP offers that others don't:)

When a child blows through his data allotment by streaming music and videos, a parent can easily cut him off and tell him/her that they can only use the radio now. (Not that I have any first hand experience with this scenario:)

So if it is gone, I will be a little dissapointed, but I expect I will get over it.

I suspect that if this feature is not there, the carriers had some part of denying it because they can profit more on streaming service.

Carriers 1, Consumers 0
    EnolaB29 likes this.

So the people who buy phones for payg get reamed for no reason.

Wow, this is potentially a deal-breaker for me. It didn't even cross my mind that an FM tuner might not be included.

Any update on whether or not this is true?

As far as I know, you can download TuneIn apps for free so that you can listen the radio all over the world. Right now I am listening country music from a US radio station while in travelling an Asia country. I am using a lumia 610. L920 and L820 should be much better I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Flora Vale View Post
    As far as I know, you can download TuneIn apps for free so that you can listen the radio all over the world. Right now I am listening country music from a US radio station while in travelling an Asia country. I am using a lumia 610. L920 and L820 should be much better I believe.
    That's totally useless if you don't want to use data, or if you're somewhere without a data connection, or in an emergency. Many of us want legit FM radio.

EnolaB29 likes this.

Now that it's in people's hands, anyone can confirm this? FM radio may be archaic, but as stated it is handy. Was one of the big things for me.
    Banned

Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    There is a benefit to having FM radio on a phone. My Lumia 900 is completely capable of playing a clear broadcast of the local stations here without much (if any) interference. I know when I pick up the L920 from FedEx this afternoon I won't have my own music loaded into the device. This is where streaming music comes in though, right? I have a rather generous data allowance on my Family Share plan, and I know in the months I've been with AT&T that I have not gone over the 15GB I have for two lines. But, why should I have to fork over a portion of my data allocation for FM radio?

TuneIn is an exceellent application. I used it on my numerous Android devices and I bought the pro version to support the developer. Unfortunately, it isn't an actual FM radio. I've had smartphones in the past with the FM radio built in, including two devices made by HTC. I wasn't in a favorable location at the time to get clear reception so I never took advantage of it. That being said, I find the capabilities on the Lumia 900 to be far superior to that of the HTC Incredible I attempted to use the built in raido app on. TuneIn isn't a real radio. It's an application that taps into the streams of FM stations online and there is a delay on top of the broadcast delay. If you are just going from an a to z vantage point, yes it ultimately does the trick and gets you the FM feed. It isn't 'live', subject to data coverage versus actual FM reception and cuts into your data allowance.

No smartphone is perfect. There are compromises people will choose to make with the Lumia 920 coming from the Android and iOS family of devices. Shoot, there are compromises coming from Windows Phone 7.x devices. The point is one little thing - this is little - shouldn't prevent you from getting the device. If you want to make the argument FM radio could be life saving, like when the networks were down in the northeast due to Sandy, its pretty valid. Then again, I don't know how much I'd be relying on my smartphone during that time other than making phone calls - using the radio or internet would be disabled by choice so I could focus on calls and text messages. I personally own a weather radio for that reason.

HTC's soon to be former flagship Android device the HTC One X has an active FM radio, but AT&T had this disabled. If you manage to root the phone and install a stock ROM with the missing apps included you could listen to radio through headphones. I wouldn't say that FM radio is dying, it's just that it isn't something the carriers can monetize and use as a legitimate selling point of the device. Now if they began building phones with SiriusXM pre-installed with a receiver then subsidies could be netted from that and SiriusXM could be billed on your wireless account.

Carriers are reaching a fiscal cliff of their own - as modern smartphones continue to improve there are less services that have to be paid for or that can be sourced from outside content providers. There is less to monetize on by the carriers directly compared to several years ago. The last refuge for them is billing for the data consumption and controlling how much data you consume. Yes, go ahead and stream Spiderman - that will cost you x out of your data package. Once you hit 2GB, 3GB or 5GB you'll be dinged for additional data. And more after that.

Quote Originally Posted by cckgz4 View Post
    Its a Music+Video feature in every windows phone. Why would it not be present
    I have had my phone for two days. If there is a radio I cannot find it. It used to be an option within Zune. It is not an option within xbox music. The only options within xbox music are:

1. Music
    2. Video
    3. Podcasts
    4. Store

Looks like its a Windows Phone 8 thing. The hardware is there, but the software is not. If you look at the 8x it doesn't have an FM radio either. If we had unlimited data this would not be a problem, but some people don't use that much data often and choose to have cheaper data plans. They could get away with this by using an FM radio to get free streaming music. Now they have to get higher tiered plans to achieve this. Maybe carriers had influence on this, take out the radio, make people who use FM radio get more expensive plans....
    Banned

Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    I don't believe that an app like TuneIn uses that much data. For me it's just why not include it - it's a benefit to the subscribers.

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    lumia 920 does not have a radio.. i never used it until we all had to evacuated cuz of hurricane sandy n we had no power or anything n only way to stay in touch with latest news was with my FM! on lumia 900 lol so ya I GUESS it is important
    sdreamer and hasasimo like this.

Best thing to do is to complain to Microsoft somehow and get them to enable it in Xbox music app. From what I've read, the FM api is missing in WP8, so Microsoft is the one that needs to fix this...

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    I never understood why people want FM tuning on their phone or MP3 players... Almost every radio station on the planet now streams via web or app their live radio feed. I like listening to AM radio but don't complain that my phone doesn't have an AM tuner.

Just stream it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stadifer View Post
    I never understood why people want FM tuning on their phone or MP3 players... Almost every radio station on the planet now streams via web or app their live radio feed. I like listening to AM radio but don't complain that my phone doesn't have an AM tuner.

Just stream it.
    Clearly you haven't read through this thread...

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hasasimo View Post
    Clearly you haven't read through this thread...
    I did and there is a reason I have an FM Radio in most places I feel the need to listen to FM. Absolutely 0 desire to use my phone to tune in FM Radio. I use, ya know, a radio for that.

From Microsoft's dev boards: No more radio FM on WP8 devices?
    [CODE]
    elGeekalpha

Know sombody if radio fm would be available on this "next gen" of windows phone devices? I'm trying to develop a little radio fm inside my app and it doesn't works. Also ther's no refrence on Lumia 920 or Music+Video app...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

elGeekalpha Every day we know more, and understand less...

Mark Chamberlain - MSFT
    Hi,

FM Radio was an optional feature in WP7.x. WP8 does not have an FM Radio.

-Mark

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark Chamberlain Sr. Escalation Engineer | Microsoft Developer Support | Windows Phone 7
    Marked As Answer by Mark Chamberlain - MSFTMicrosoft Employee, Moderator 19 hours 58 minutes ago
    [/CODE]

Quote Originally Posted by Stadifer View Post
    I did and there is a reason I have an FM Radio in most places I feel the need to listen to FM. Absolutely 0 desire to use my phone to tune in FM Radio. I use, ya know, a radio for that.
    And for our MP3s we used to use a, ya know, MP3 player. And to take pictures we used to use a, ya know, digital camera. An FM radio is an extremely easy, useful feature to include on a smart phone. Somebody just posted how their L900 FM radio helped them during Sandy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast