So no FM Radio? Now what?

eyeinthesky

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
So both the new lumias don't have a FM radio which will allow the users to access the local FM channels.:mad: Although the hardware (WCN3660) has support for FM transceiver but for some reason, FM has been switched off.:mad: Can some one answer the two questions that are coming to my mind:

1. Can a firmware upgrade enable the FM receiver functionality?

2. Can a third party app access the hardware chip and allow a user to access FM radio channels?

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
No idea what this page is, but Windows Phone Message Board - Msg: 28421347

Also says that the chip also has capability for FM transmitter. The lack of FM transmitter is easily my biggest gripe with the phone. Why would Nokia not enable these if the hardware is already there. Would simply suck :/ I'd hope at least 3rd party could use the hardware if Nokia wouldnt do it, but I doubt it.

Ive never used FM radio on my phone, but FM transmitter is just about the best feature in my N8.

Please Nokia, take use of the hardware or give us a VERY good excuse as to why not :D

eyeinthesky

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Where did you read that the 920 doesn't have an FM radio. Last I heard we still didn't know.

technically speaking, you are correct. nothing has been mentioned in the specs on the nokia's website. I guessed this as I saw a nokia lumia 820's detailed video and the guy launched the music and video application and there was no radio listed there.

Although I sincerely hope that I have guessed it wrong :)

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Nokia developers page are for you if you want 100% right specs. It's specification list made by Nokia for developers for each device. SoC might have FM transceiver but it's not on the specification list.

Device Details -- Nokia Lumia 920

I doubt there will be FM radio. FM radio support on smartphone is dying. Nokia has actually kept it going on Symbian phones but masses don't seem to want it.

It is possible that like on N9 either 3rd party or/and Nokia made software for FM radio, but again somehow i doubt this scenario to happen on Windows Phone platform compared to the open MeeGo on N9.

Does any of the other Windows Phone 8 devices have FM radio? if non of them have it then it's quite clear there wont be one on Lumia 920 as they are all more or less identical on the SoC level., same OS.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Nokia developers page are for you if you want 100% right specs. It's specification list made by Nokia for developers for each device. SoC might have FM transceiver but it's not on the specification list.

Device Details -- Nokia Lumia 920

I doubt there will be FM radio. FM radio support on smartphone is dying. Nokia has actually kept it going on Symbian phones but masses don't seem to want it.

It is possible that like on N9 either 3rd party or/and Nokia made software for FM radio, but again somehow i doubt this scenario to happen on Windows Phone platform compared to the open MeeGo on N9.

Does any of the other Windows Phone 8 devices have FM radio? if non of them have it then it's quite clear there wont be one on Lumia 920 as they are all more or less identical on the SoC level., same OS.

I don't know about the Lumia 920 but I know for a fact my HTC TITAN with Windows Phone has it... if the chipset supports it then why isn't the software there for it? Especially if it was on WP7...

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't know about the Lumia 920 but I know for a fact my HTC TITAN with Windows Phone has it... if the chipset supports it then why isn't the software there for it? Especially if it was on WP7...

That is interesting. Seems like Lumia 900 has FM radio, as does Lumia 800. Never knew that myself as i haven't had use for it in years.

One possibility if Lumia 920 does not have FM radio is to use Nokia BH-221 that also has internal DSP with equalizer.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That is interesting. Seems like Lumia 900 has FM radio, as does Lumia 800. Never knew that myself as i haven't had use for it in years.

One possibility if Lumia 920 does not have FM radio is to use Nokia BH-221 that also has internal DSP with equalizer.

I know it exists on the 900, but I've yet to try it. My guess is that there isn't much demand for it.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Most people wouldn't want to wear the wired headphones to use it, plus there are internet radio applications that let you listen to radio stations from around the world.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Most people wouldn't want to wear the wired headphones to use it, plus there are internet radio applications that let you listen to radio stations from around the world.

Yeah i get that. Thought i just threw it out there if Lumia 920 does not have FM radio and it's a must for reason or another.

Myself just use Nokia Music to listen my ad free custom radios and TuneIn Radio at times straight from Nokia Collection. Unlimited data plan with no data data cap make those services kind of a no-brainer for my use rather than FM radio.

thzman

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
People still listen to FM radio?

I for one listens to FM radio almost every day during my train ride to work. Along the way the reception can be quite bad, but the mobile network signal is far worse so network radio is not an option for me. I know many BT-headsets have built in radio receiver so if/when I get the lumia 920 I guess I have to buy one of these also.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm too lazy to look it up, but I always thought it was one of the requirements in the Windows Phone spec... but maybe that's an assumption since I haven't seen a WP yet that lacks the feature.

Xtian.Castro

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm too lazy to look it up, but I always thought it was one of the requirements in the Windows Phone spec... but maybe that's an assumption since I haven't seen a WP yet that lacks the feature.

you are correct, it was a chassis requirement with WP7. It seemed it was a carry over feature from the Zune players because they all had FM players. I have had certain scenarios come up where the FM radio came in handy (bears games on my way home from work), but I can see MSFT dropping this requirement.

I don't think the OEMs have much they can do add it in the Music hub. Maybe someone will make an custom app, If anyone would it'd be Nokia. They'd make an exclusive app that told you if it was a Leap Year if someone asked.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
you are correct, it was a chassis requirement with WP7. It seemed it was a carry over feature from the Zune players because they all had FM players. I have had certain scenarios come up where the FM radio came in handy (bears games on my way home from work), but I can see MSFT dropping this requirement...

That's what I was thinking, and I don't think it was dropped from the WP8 spec... I think things were added or made more flexible, but I don't recall any news about removing specs. In fact, I think a couple of the sensors were changed from optional to required. I'm certain we'd have seen a much bigger outcry if they had removed radio. It would have made WPCentral main page news, and there'd be posts about how Microsoft sucks, and such, lol. :)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss