Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 86
Like Tree24Likes
  1. eyeinthesky's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    11 Posts
       #1  
    So both the new lumias don't have a FM radio which will allow the users to access the local FM channels.:@ Although the hardware (WCN3660) has support for FM transceiver but for some reason, FM has been switched off.:mad: Can some one answer the two questions that are coming to my mind:

    1. Can a firmware upgrade enable the FM receiver functionality?

    2. Can a third party app access the hardware chip and allow a user to access FM radio channels?
  2. Dave Blake's Avatar
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

    Posts
    5,662 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    #2  
    Where did you read that the 920 doesn't have an FM radio. Last I heard we still didn't know.
  3. TenTwelve's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    513 Posts
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    #3  
    I'm sure so few people care about that as a feature that it's the least of their concerns.
    socialcarpet likes this.
  4. Coreldan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,532 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,540 Global Posts
    #4  
    No idea what this page is, but Windows Phone Message Board - Msg: 28421347

    Also says that the chip also has capability for FM transmitter. The lack of FM transmitter is easily my biggest gripe with the phone. Why would Nokia not enable these if the hardware is already there. Would simply suck :/ I'd hope at least 3rd party could use the hardware if Nokia wouldnt do it, but I doubt it.

    Ive never used FM radio on my phone, but FM transmitter is just about the best feature in my N8.

    Please Nokia, take use of the hardware or give us a VERY good excuse as to why not :D
  5. eyeinthesky's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    11 Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blake View Post
    Where did you read that the 920 doesn't have an FM radio. Last I heard we still didn't know.
    technically speaking, you are correct. nothing has been mentioned in the specs on the nokia's website. I guessed this as I saw a nokia lumia 820's detailed video and the guy launched the music and video application and there was no radio listed there.

    Although I sincerely hope that I have guessed it wrong :)
  6. tissotti's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,106 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,107 Global Posts
    #6  
    Nokia developers page are for you if you want 100% right specs. It's specification list made by Nokia for developers for each device. SoC might have FM transceiver but it's not on the specification list.

    Device Details -- Nokia Lumia 920

    I doubt there will be FM radio. FM radio support on smartphone is dying. Nokia has actually kept it going on Symbian phones but masses don't seem to want it.

    It is possible that like on N9 either 3rd party or/and Nokia made software for FM radio, but again somehow i doubt this scenario to happen on Windows Phone platform compared to the open MeeGo on N9.



    Does any of the other Windows Phone 8 devices have FM radio? if non of them have it then it's quite clear there wont be one on Lumia 920 as they are all more or less identical on the SoC level., same OS.
  7. Daniel Ratcliffe's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,820 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,476 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by tissotti View Post
    Nokia developers page are for you if you want 100% right specs. It's specification list made by Nokia for developers for each device. SoC might have FM transceiver but it's not on the specification list.

    Device Details -- Nokia Lumia 920

    I doubt there will be FM radio. FM radio support on smartphone is dying. Nokia has actually kept it going on Symbian phones but masses don't seem to want it.

    It is possible that like on N9 either 3rd party or/and Nokia made software for FM radio, but again somehow i doubt this scenario to happen on Windows Phone platform compared to the open MeeGo on N9.



    Does any of the other Windows Phone 8 devices have FM radio? if non of them have it then it's quite clear there wont be one on Lumia 920 as they are all more or less identical on the SoC level., same OS.
    I don't know about the Lumia 920 but I know for a fact my HTC TITAN with Windows Phone has it... if the chipset supports it then why isn't the software there for it? Especially if it was on WP7...

    "Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
  8. tissotti's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,106 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,107 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by paladinleeds View Post
    I don't know about the Lumia 920 but I know for a fact my HTC TITAN with Windows Phone has it... if the chipset supports it then why isn't the software there for it? Especially if it was on WP7...
    That is interesting. Seems like Lumia 900 has FM radio, as does Lumia 800. Never knew that myself as i haven't had use for it in years.

    One possibility if Lumia 920 does not have FM radio is to use Nokia BH-221 that also has internal DSP with equalizer.
    Last edited by tissotti; 10-06-2012 at 06:28 PM.
  9. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    17,359 Posts
    Global Posts
    32,896 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by tissotti View Post
    That is interesting. Seems like Lumia 900 has FM radio, as does Lumia 800. Never knew that myself as i haven't had use for it in years.

    One possibility if Lumia 920 does not have FM radio is to use Nokia BH-221 that also has internal DSP with equalizer.

    I know it exists on the 900, but I've yet to try it. My guess is that there isn't much demand for it.
  10. VagrantWade's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,399 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    #10  
    People still listen to FM radio?
  11. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    7,200 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,369 Global Posts
    #11  
    Most people wouldn't want to wear the wired headphones to use it, plus there are internet radio applications that let you listen to radio stations from around the world.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
  12. thed's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    993 Posts
    #12  
    I can't imagine that there will be no FM radio. Every single WP to date has it.
    palandri and mister2d like this.
  13. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    17,359 Posts
    Global Posts
    32,896 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Most people wouldn't want to wear the wired headphones to use it, plus there are internet radio applications that let you listen to radio stations from around the world.

    That's what I do. There aren't any local FM stations worth listening to.
    palandri likes this.
  14. tissotti's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,106 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,107 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Most people wouldn't want to wear the wired headphones to use it, plus there are internet radio applications that let you listen to radio stations from around the world.
    Yeah i get that. Thought i just threw it out there if Lumia 920 does not have FM radio and it's a must for reason or another.

    Myself just use Nokia Music to listen my ad free custom radios and TuneIn Radio at times straight from Nokia Collection. Unlimited data plan with no data data cap make those services kind of a no-brainer for my use rather than FM radio.
  15. thzman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    106 Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by vagrantwade View Post
    People still listen to FM radio?
    I for one listens to FM radio almost every day during my train ride to work. Along the way the reception can be quite bad, but the mobile network signal is far worse so network radio is not an option for me. I know many BT-headsets have built in radio receiver so if/when I get the lumia 920 I guess I have to buy one of these also.

    Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2.
  16. cckgz4's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,952 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,799 Global Posts
    #16  
    Its a Music+Video feature in every windows phone. Why would it not be present
    Nokia Lumia 1020/Blu Studio 5.0 LTE owner here...

    mister2d likes this.
  17. #17  
    I'm too lazy to look it up, but I always thought it was one of the requirements in the Windows Phone spec... but maybe that's an assumption since I haven't seen a WP yet that lacks the feature.
  18. Xtian.Castro's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodThings2Life View Post
    I'm too lazy to look it up, but I always thought it was one of the requirements in the Windows Phone spec... but maybe that's an assumption since I haven't seen a WP yet that lacks the feature.
    you are correct, it was a chassis requirement with WP7. It seemed it was a carry over feature from the Zune players because they all had FM players. I have had certain scenarios come up where the FM radio came in handy (bears games on my way home from work), but I can see MSFT dropping this requirement.

    I don't think the OEMs have much they can do add it in the Music hub. Maybe someone will make an custom app, If anyone would it'd be Nokia. They'd make an exclusive app that told you if it was a Leap Year if someone asked.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by XtianAstro View Post
    you are correct, it was a chassis requirement with WP7. It seemed it was a carry over feature from the Zune players because they all had FM players. I have had certain scenarios come up where the FM radio came in handy (bears games on my way home from work), but I can see MSFT dropping this requirement...
    That's what I was thinking, and I don't think it was dropped from the WP8 spec... I think things were added or made more flexible, but I don't recall any news about removing specs. In fact, I think a couple of the sensors were changed from optional to required. I'm certain we'd have seen a much bigger outcry if they had removed radio. It would have made WPCentral main page news, and there'd be posts about how Microsoft sucks, and such, lol. :)
  20. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    17,359 Posts
    Global Posts
    32,896 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodThings2Life View Post
    I'm certain we'd have seen a much bigger outcry if they had removed radio. It would have made WPCentral main page news, and there'd be posts about how Microsoft sucks, and such, lol. :)
    I doubt if that would be the case. The iPhone does not have a built-in radio. I am not sure which, if any, Android devices have one. The demand is not very high. Digital Music News - The Smartphone: Where FM Radio Goes to Die...
  21. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    17,359 Posts
    Global Posts
    32,896 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by XtianAstro View Post
    you are correct, it was a chassis requirement with WP7. It seemed it was a carry over feature from the Zune players because they all had FM players. I have had certain scenarios come up where the FM radio came in handy (bears games on my way home from work), but I can see MSFT dropping this requirement.

    I don't think the OEMs have much they can do add it in the Music hub. Maybe someone will make an custom app, If anyone would it'd be Nokia. They'd make an exclusive app that told you if it was a Leap Year if someone asked.
    FM is pretty much useless here except for Browns games. The Cavs and Indians are on AM.
  22. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    I doubt if that would be the case. The iPhone does not have a built-in radio. I am not sure which, if any, Android devices have one. The demand is not very high. Digital Music News - The Smartphone: Where FM Radio Goes to Die...
    I didn't mean to suggest it was a huge, major feature that people were clamoring to have, just that every time you take some fringe feature away, people freak out like their lives depend on it. ;)
    Jf.Vigor likes this.
  23. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    17,359 Posts
    Global Posts
    32,896 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodThings2Life View Post
    I didn't mean to suggest it was a huge, major feature that people were clamoring to have, just that every time you take some fringe feature away, people freak out like their lives depend on it. ;)
    Ok, I gotcha! :)

    I wonder if anyone misses IR ports.
  24. socialcarpet's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    #24  
    I think very few people use that feature.

    As far as I'm concerned, NPR is the only thing worth listening to on FM radio and even that can be found just as easily through podcasts.

    Although Nokia has long made the FM radio a feature on a lot of their phones, I think it will be pushed aside to make room for other things. Perhaps digital radio or even satellite radio. Either one would be much more welcome I think. But most people listen to their own music, or streaming music and use podcasts. You could probably count the people actually using the FM radio on their Lumia regularly on one hand. I think I've used it twice since I've had my phone. It's more of a novelty now than anything else.
  25. mister2d's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    458 Posts
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    I think very few people use that feature.

    As far as I'm concerned, NPR is the only thing worth listening to on FM radio and even that can be found just as easily through podcasts.

    Although Nokia has long made the FM radio a feature on a lot of their phones, I think it will be pushed aside to make room for other things. Perhaps digital radio or even satellite radio. Either one would be much more welcome I think. But most people listen to their own music, or streaming music and use podcasts. You could probably count the people actually using the FM radio on their Lumia regularly on one hand. I think I've used it twice since I've had my phone. It's more of a novelty now than anything else.
    Just because very few people use it doesn't mean it's not there. It's been on every WP since and it's on the L900. And I do use FM very occasionally and I'm glad it's there.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions