Nokia Lumia 920 or Samsung Galaxy Note 2

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why mobile manufacturers skin the android OS. So happy Microsoft doesn't let them do that.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express
I don't either it just make everything lag like crazy I know you can custom ROM the device but i'm not to keen to mess around with such things and it destroys the warranty. :dry

That one of the main reasons am going for Microsoft OS same throughout every device no changes, no crappy overlay specially touchwiz which hopefully will go to **** and burn in flames. :lol:

I cant wait for the L920 I'm so excited I JUST CANT HIDE IT COME ON COME COME ON COME ON COME ON COME ON wait that two songs oh yeah Will Young come on come on come on. :D

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't either it just make everything lag like crazy I know you can custom ROM the device but i'm not to keen to mess around with such things and it destroys the warranty. :dry

That one of the main reasons am going for Microsoft OS same throughout every device no changes, no crappy overlay specially touchwiz which hopefully will go to **** and burn in flames. :lol:

I cant wait for the L920 I'm so excited I JUST CANT HIDE IT COME ON COME COME ON COME ON COME ON COME ON wait that two songs oh yeah Will Young come on come on come on. :D
oh mate. Windows phone never lags one bit. I had my phone (Nokia Lumia 800) for almost one year. and it never lagged or forced restart. literally not even once. This is why Wp8 and Wp7 is very optimised on specs. it can even run smoothly on a 800mhz processor (Nokia Lumia 610). with the dual core processor on Lumia 920. you'll be very happy. no doubt about with the features like Pureview and Sensitive screen

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
If you are handy in the workshop, do what I do before I get a new phone. Go cut out a piece of 3/8" (usually 11/32" actually) or 1/2" (15/32") plywood to the dimensions of your phone candidates. Round the edges as required. Now you can hold it, pocket it, put it to your ear. Basically get a feel for the phone. I usually do it to check if any of my existing cases will work.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
I probably cut my hands off if I was giving the hack saw then i wont be able to use any phone.

I'll just go to o2 and spend a hour or two comparing both they wont mind. :3

I will also try to steak both into my pocket without them notices. :D

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
oh mate. Windows phone never lags one bit. I had my phone (Nokia Lumia 800) for almost one year. and it never lagged or forced restart. literally not even once. This is why Wp8 and Wp7 is very optimised on specs. it can even run smoothly on a 800mhz processor (Nokia Lumia 610). with the dual core processor on Lumia 920. you'll be very happy. no doubt about with the features like Pureview and Sensitive screen
That sounds amazing I want I WANT IT NOW GIVE IT TO ME I NEED IT :D

That why I'm so excited to go out and buy Nokia Lumia 920 I have heard so many good things about the OS such as what you have said either with the low spec devices. :3

I will have to wait a couple of months one for the money i need money to buy such items, two it probably come cheaper after santa been, waiting to see if it come in cyan if not red not to fuss i like red. :lol:

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I also like your picture I LOVE GANDNAM STYLE HAY SEXY LADIE I WATCH IT EVERY MORNING, WHEN I'M IN COLLEGE, AT HOME, WALKING AROUND AND DANCING TO WITH FRIENDS GOING DOWN THE STREET WE GET SOME FUNNY LOOKS LOL :lol:

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Some Lenovo tablets have that problem. They skin the android OS, then it just lags all over the place. It forces people to download skins from the play store. That's right custom launchers ( not roms, skins ) make some Lenovo devices run fast.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
The Galaxy Note, like the Android OS itself, tries to be everything to everyone and winds up being rife with compromise and not particularly good at any one particular thing except making you look like a dope when you use it.

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
While I would prefer Windows Phone over Android, the only way that I would go back to an Android device would be if I bought a Nexus phone. I had a Galaxy S III for about 10 days and absolutely hated the TouchWiz interface. I also have no desire to own a phone with such a large screen. While the Note 2 may be a great device, it isn't the right fit for me.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I also like your picture I LOVE GANDNAM STYLE HAY SEXY LADIE I WATCH IT EVERY MORNING, WHEN I'M IN COLLEGE, AT HOME, WALKING AROUND AND DANCING TO WITH FRIENDS GOING DOWN THE STREET WE GET SOME FUNNY LOOKS LOL :lol:

Yeah. I love that song? Gangnam style replaces swag

sholokov

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you about the smoothness of the OS.

The Super sensitive screen on the other hand looks like a gimmick. I mean, what is the point of a screen that can work with a pen or a stylus when there is no Transcriber in the phone. Remember the WinMo days where you could write on the screen and let the phone convert it to typing. That was awesome on my 8125 and TP2.

That said; I am getting a L920 and a Surface RT no doubt. But I am also getting the Note 2 for my wife.:happy:

gmlongo

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Based on all of the reviews I have read (and there have been a lot), the Note 2 is much improved from the OG Note. I never really considered one since I have been firmly in the WP camp, but the wonderful reviews have started to get my attention.

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Me too. The original Note didn't interest me, mainly because the pen integration was buggy and gimmicky. The Note II apparently is a generation leap forward.

Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
The Super sensitive screen on the other hand looks like a gimmick. I mean, what is the point of a screen that can work with a pen or a stylus when there is no Transcriber in the phone. Remember the WinMo days where you could write on the screen and let the phone convert it to typing. That was awesome on my 8125 and TP2.

That's probably not really even the primary function of it. Nokia comes from a country where half of the year is a weather that warrants using gloves. With just about any current smartphone, you'll have to take off your glove to even answer the call (short from voice commands I guess, but people will frown at you if you do that in public :D). Same goes for many little things like.. putting the phone on silent/taking it off silent. I wouldnt necessarily start texting with gloves on, but theres a lot of little things I want to check/do without taking gloves off outside.

I dont think the makeshift-stylus idea was based around writing really anyways, cos as you said I doubt it'll have any real support for handwriting kind of stuff, but you can still operate the phone with anything, be it fingernails or just your pencil while you are sitting at school/work/meeting, etc.

I wouldnt look at it as filling some small niche function like handwriting on a phone, but more so as a general huge improvement that allows for a lot more stuff than your generic smartphone screen. The screen and this feature is one of the biggest selling points for me and I didnt really even dream about handwriting on it!

And naturally such weathers mentioned above arnt restricted to just Finland :p

That said, I did personally suggest some ideas to Nokia regarding this, now that you can make a stylus out of everything, some handwriting recognition and software down the road could be a big thing. Nokia exclusive, anyone? :D

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
While I have a thing for large screened devices I personally find the SGN2 too big. It's funny how many people look at even my Lumia 900 and still say "wow that's a huge phone". Meanwhile I my last phone was a Titan 2 with a larger screen.

5.5" is huge.. And of course you have to be a fan of Android. While the hardware of SGN2 is impressive I could never go back to Android after my short use. Not that it's not a great OS.. but it's just not for me. Which is why I ended up back with a WP for it's simplicity and refreshing look.

I have heard Samsung is releasing a GS3 refresh with GN2 specs.. If I had to go Android I'd take that over the SGN2. But I'll be more than happy with my upgrade to the Lumia 920.

OBfree

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
That's probably not really even the primary function of it. Nokia comes from a country where half of the year is a weather that warrants using gloves. With just about any current smartphone, you'll have to take off your glove to even answer the call (short from voice commands I guess, but people will frown at you if you do that in public . Same goes for many little things like.. putting the phone on silent/taking it off silent. I wouldnt necessarily start texting with gloves on, but theres a lot of little things I want to check/do without taking gloves off outside.

I dont think the makeshift-stylus idea was based around writing really anyways, cos as you said I doubt it'll have any real support for handwriting kind of stuff, but you can still operate the phone with anything, be it fingernails or just your pencil while you are sitting at school/work/meeting, etc.

I wouldnt look at it as filling some small niche function like handwriting on a phone, but more so as a general huge improvement that allows for a lot more stuff than your generic smartphone screen. The screen and this feature is one of the biggest selling points for me and I didnt really even dream about handwriting on it!

And naturally such weathers mentioned above arnt restricted to just Finland :p

That said, I did personally suggest some ideas to Nokia regarding this, now that you can make a stylus out of everything, some handwriting recognition and ware down the road could be a big thing. Nokia exclusive, anyone? :D

Just on the point of gloves I have an SG Note1 and you can unlock it & answer calls whilst wearing gloves. I have owned an N95 then went to SGS which I liked then to an E7 which was a step backwards to the N95 - no custom labels in contacts, no 1,000 grouping in calculator with no scientific option just to name a couple of basics - then it just stopped and like dozens of other E7 users was told it was water inundation, strange when the screen was fine & the phone has never been in the rain or had had any liquid spill, anyway no warranty - I had paid for the extended. Anyway now the very happy owner of SG Note 5.3" which does everything flawlessly. Just ticks all the boxes everytime I use it. I used to be a Nokia fan but they would really have to come up with something other than free maps to win me back. They should build on their successes in functionality & listen to their public not throw the baby out with the bath water.

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
That's probably not really even the primary function of it. Nokia comes from a country where half of the year is a weather that warrants using gloves. With just about any current smartphone, you'll have to take off your glove to even answer the call (short from voice commands I guess, but people will frown at you if you do that in public :D). Same goes for many little things like.. putting the phone on silent/taking it off silent. I wouldnt necessarily start texting with gloves on, but theres a lot of little things I want to check/do without taking gloves off outside.

I think you're right about all that. Surely quite a lot of people in Europe will buy this phone purely because of that feature. I know I'd like to have that feature if I lived in a cold climate which warranted wearing gloves a fair bit.

Personally, living in Australia, I never wear gloves and find that feature to be a bad thing for me. Whenever I get water on my screen from rain or something while I'm using it, I just use my sleeve to wipe it off knowing that I won't do anything to it. Won't be able to do that anymore.

vizagdude

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Posting your question on a Windows Phone Forum... I think I already know your decision. You are leaning towards the 920 and/or everyone is going to recommend the 920.

Personally, I do not like a skin over a core OS. Those were really great with Windows Mobile. But I think you should place your decision based on the OS first and then on the hardware. Because the Hardware is only as good as the OS that it runs.

Personally I like the Jelly Bean for it's smoothness and they way Android integrates with it's core apps like Gmail, maps, Goole+, Picasa, YouTube, etc. I've never tried any of the TouchWiz devices to know how it integrates with the Core Android in the device. But the facts speak for themselves... meaning Samsung is selling millions of their devices.. so I am sure they must be doing something right.

WP is an emerging OS and still trying to figure out a place in the Mobile OS eco system. We are all hoping that it will definitely pick up given the fact that MS has changed their core OS to mimic WP with Windows 8. So that should give a boost.

IMHO, Nokia Lumia 920 is by far has the best HW specs in a mobile phone in relation to how it integrates with the OS. From what I've seen, it's has a Kickass camera with PureView technology.

Hope this helps...

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
The pen feature might look attractive, but trust me, its beyond useless.

I had xperia neo earlier, so I knew much about android already. I have used the original note (not much different than note 2 in usage) for about an hour, and here's the deal:

1. There was no writing recognition. (I was like ?!?!?!)

2. The pen was jibbery. I could never think myself comfortably writing a note on that phone (same for placing the phone next to my ear)

3. The screen, even being over 5in, seemed useless for photo editing using pen (unlike their ads). I'd much rather prefer it on a tablet.

So eventually, while trying to be a phablet, its a bad tablet and a bad phone.

I prefer drawing a line between phone and tablet/laptop than phone/tablet and laptop. Tablets should be more productive than they already are, matching laptops in regards to functionality.

iOS has same store for iPhone and iPad (same apps with different scaling) (android is similar to iOS for this) while there's mac store for MAC's apps. Windows has its Win Store for Laptop/Tablet while Win Pho store for phones. So I'd much rather prefer windows.
As a Note 2 owner, you couldn't be more wrong. The Note 2 is a massive improvement over the original version. It's an amazing phone/tablet (phablet of course) and makes the Note 1 look like a beta product.

That said, I'm looking at the Lumia 920, but at this point having owned the Note 2 (international unlocked on AT&T) I don't really see the need. Yes, they are very different devices, but if you want something that literally replaces a tablet/phone and sometimes computer, the Note 2 is worth a strong look. Of course if you are dead set on Windows 8, it's a waste of time, but for someone who is open to modern Android (4.1 and up) it feels like a very mature product that rocks with daily use. There is handwriting recognition, the wacom pen is very precise with like 1,000 pressure levels and the battery lasts FOREVER. It easily replaced my phone and Nexus 7 tablet. Carrying one device that does it all is great.

Yang_H

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
My unlocked Note II is coming tomorrow and your post certainly makes me pleased... I played with Note II a few seconds at T-Mobile store and it does look and feel like a fabulouse phone. Too bad if this phone runs WP8 it could well replace Nokia 920 as my dream phone.

I still plan to buy a 920 later because I love WP8 and plan to evetually migrate to Windows Tablet too (played Surface a little bit today and the build quality is great, but the after iPad 3 screen I simply can't stand the low dpi diaplay on Surface).

Anyway, I'll see how I get along with this BIG phone...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb