Where will you be getting your Lumia 920? (for those not on AT&T/Rogers)

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I would image there are many others like myself that want the Lumia 920 but either aren't on one of the exclusive carriers or don't want to switch carriers just to get it. I for one live in Toronto, Canada and Rogers is carrying the Lumia 920 which based on previous history I would imagine could be carrier unlocked to use on Bell or Telus. 2 downfalls however is the phone is that Rogers has only announced the 920 in black (boring!) and we'll have to sacrifice MMS, group text and tethering. Same goes for using any other unlocked model.

Now personally if I'm buying a 920 it's definitely not going to be in black so that leaves me to wonder where else I'll be able to pick one up (and successfully unlock it). I have a strong feeling AT&T will withhold the unlock codes again like they did with the L900 which will rule out unlocking those an option.

But those in the US that don't mind a black L920 will be okay to use the Rogers model. For the majority of us that want color in our lives we have to rely on an international model with compatible bands. I do recall using an unlocked Telstra HTC HD2 back in the day that worked flawlessly on Telus (same bands as AT&T/Rogers/Bell). And I do know they are releasing the L920 at the end of October but from what I can see it may not do LTE which could be another big draw back.

Anyone know of any other models that will compatible on the same bands as AT&T/Rogers/Bell/Telus that will be in colors other than black AND have LTE capabilities?

jkrc717

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm waiting to see if an unlocked international L920 will work on T-Mobiles 4G network in the US.

Some say it will, some say it won't.

rwcrossman

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping to get an unlocked version to either use on tmobile or straight talk. As long as it works on one of those two I will be happy. I dread the thought of having to go to AT&T.

Aykazu

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
The way I have understood the LTE question, is that Lumia 920 will support LTE and the international version will support a great amount of bands anyway, it could be refered as a (WorldPhone) since it supports so many bands, however if your uncertain that will it work with your carrier then match these to your carriers network:

GSM 850
GSM 900
GSM 1800
GSM 1900
WCDMA, V, (850)
WCDMA, VIII, (900)
WCDMA, IV (1700)
WCDMA, II, (1900)
WCDMA, I (2100)
LTE 700
LTE 800
LTE 850
LTE 900
LTE 1700
LTE 1800
LTE 1900
LTE 2100
LTE 2600

rwcrossman

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
After this email it looks like I'm going to have to buy one from AT&T and hope its not too much of a PITA to have them unlock it.

Thanks for the note.

Initially, it will need to be through AT&T if purchased in the US.

Regards,

Stephen

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
After this email it looks like I'm going to have to buy one from AT&T and hope its not too much of a PITA to have them unlock it.

Thanks for the note.

Initially, it will need to be through AT&T if purchased in the US.

Regards,

Stephen

If you want to unlock it, at&t is not your best option. If they go the same route as with the 900 you'll have to wait 6 months to get it unlocked from them. Might be better to look at the Rogers version, their 900 version was easier to unlock and will work on at&t's LTE network.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
The way I have understood the LTE question, is that Lumia 920 will support LTE and the international version will support a great amount of bands anyway, it could be refered as a (WorldPhone) since it supports so many bands, however if your uncertain that will it work with your carrier then match these to your carriers network:

GSM 850
GSM 900
GSM 1800
GSM 1900
WCDMA, V, (850)
WCDMA, VIII, (900)
WCDMA, IV (1700)
WCDMA, II, (1900)
WCDMA, I (2100)
LTE 700
LTE 800
LTE 850
LTE 900
LTE 1700
LTE 1800
LTE 1900
LTE 2100
LTE 2600

Are these the announced bands for the possible pentaband model?

rwcrossman

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
If you want to unlock it, at&t is not your best option. If they go the same route as with the 900 you'll have to wait 6 months to get it unlocked from them. Might be better to look at the Rogers version, their 900 version was easier to unlock and will work on at&t's LTE network.

I was thinking the same thing but I just got off the phone with a rep and did a chat support so I would have a record of it and they both said if I buy it full price they will unlock it same day.

ryzama

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I've heard a few comments from people regarding Rogers and how it was fairly easy to unlock their Lumia 900?

I live in Alberta on TELUS and along with everyone else, I am quite ticked with this carrier exclusive bullcrap. TELUS still hasn't announced any Windows Phone 8 devices, and I am trying to decide if I can pass on the L920 for the HTC 8x if TELUS picks that up, or maybe even the Samsung.

However, if I just can't pass on the L920, which is probably going to be true, is Rogers my best choice? Do they unlock the phone for you, who has experience in unlocking Rogers phones? Also will L920 Rogers phone work on TELUS LTE? I think TELUS is using LTE 700MHz, not 100% sure though.

ryzama

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking the same thing but I just got off the phone with a rep and did a chat support so I would have a record of it and they both said if I buy it full price they will unlock it same day.

Got off the phone with who, Rogers or AT&T? Because I would definitely buy from AT&T instead of Rogers so I can get different colours if they are willing to unlock the phone.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Most likely from the flagshipstore in Helsinki, Finland. Unless some one of the finnish carriers offer any discount for the phone for taking up a 2 year contract with them, they usually don't around here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3