Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Lundon44's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    389 Posts
       #1  
    I would image there are many others like myself that want the Lumia 920 but either aren't on one of the exclusive carriers or don't want to switch carriers just to get it. I for one live in Toronto, Canada and Rogers is carrying the Lumia 920 which based on previous history I would imagine could be carrier unlocked to use on Bell or Telus. 2 downfalls however is the phone is that Rogers has only announced the 920 in black (boring!) and we'll have to sacrifice MMS, group text and tethering. Same goes for using any other unlocked model.

    Now personally if I'm buying a 920 it's definitely not going to be in black so that leaves me to wonder where else I'll be able to pick one up (and successfully unlock it). I have a strong feeling AT&T will withhold the unlock codes again like they did with the L900 which will rule out unlocking those an option.

    But those in the US that don't mind a black L920 will be okay to use the Rogers model. For the majority of us that want color in our lives we have to rely on an international model with compatible bands. I do recall using an unlocked Telstra HTC HD2 back in the day that worked flawlessly on Telus (same bands as AT&T/Rogers/Bell). And I do know they are releasing the L920 at the end of October but from what I can see it may not do LTE which could be another big draw back.

    Anyone know of any other models that will compatible on the same bands as AT&T/Rogers/Bell/Telus that will be in colors other than black AND have LTE capabilities?
  2. jkrc717's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    272 Posts
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    #2  
    I'm waiting to see if an unlocked international L920 will work on T-Mobiles 4G network in the US.

    Some say it will, some say it won't.
  3. zrob7's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    48 Posts
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    #3  
    I think in early testing they only got 2G on TMO :@ I have no idea why
  4. rwcrossman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    #4  
    I'm hoping to get an unlocked version to either use on tmobile or straight talk. As long as it works on one of those two I will be happy. I dread the thought of having to go to AT&T.
  5. tissotti's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,106 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,107 Global Posts
    #5  
    I'm going to walk to the nearest gadget/electronic store here in Sweden and pick the phone and put my 4G SIM in. ;)
  6. Aykazu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    49 Posts
    #6  
    The way I have understood the LTE question, is that Lumia 920 will support LTE and the international version will support a great amount of bands anyway, it could be refered as a (WorldPhone) since it supports so many bands, however if your uncertain that will it work with your carrier then match these to your carriers network:


    GSM 850
    GSM 900
    GSM 1800
    GSM 1900
    WCDMA, V, (850)
    WCDMA, VIII, (900)
    WCDMA, IV (1700)
    WCDMA, II, (1900)
    WCDMA, I (2100)
    LTE 700
    LTE 800
    LTE 850
    LTE 900
    LTE 1700
    LTE 1800
    LTE 1900
    LTE 2100
    LTE 2600
  7. Lundon44's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    389 Posts
       #7  
    Do we see any chances of a pentaband unlocked model?
  8. thedumbkid's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    #8  
    What are some online shops with Lumia 920 that ship to US/Canada?
  9. rwcrossman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    #9  
    After this email it looks like I'm going to have to buy one from AT&T and hope its not too much of a PITA to have them unlock it.

    Thanks for the note.



    Initially, it will need to be through AT&T if purchased in the US.



    Regards,



    Stephen
  10. theefman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,995 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,996 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwcrossman View Post
    After this email it looks like I'm going to have to buy one from AT&T and hope its not too much of a PITA to have them unlock it.

    Thanks for the note.



    Initially, it will need to be through AT&T if purchased in the US.



    Regards,



    Stephen
    If you want to unlock it, at&t is not your best option. If they go the same route as with the 900 you'll have to wait 6 months to get it unlocked from them. Might be better to look at the Rogers version, their 900 version was easier to unlock and will work on at&t's LTE network.
  11. Lundon44's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    389 Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aykazu View Post
    The way I have understood the LTE question, is that Lumia 920 will support LTE and the international version will support a great amount of bands anyway, it could be refered as a (WorldPhone) since it supports so many bands, however if your uncertain that will it work with your carrier then match these to your carriers network:


    GSM 850
    GSM 900
    GSM 1800
    GSM 1900
    WCDMA, V, (850)
    WCDMA, VIII, (900)
    WCDMA, IV (1700)
    WCDMA, II, (1900)
    WCDMA, I (2100)
    LTE 700
    LTE 800
    LTE 850
    LTE 900
    LTE 1700
    LTE 1800
    LTE 1900
    LTE 2100
    LTE 2600
    Are these the announced bands for the possible pentaband model?
  12. Aykazu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    49 Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lundon44 View Post
    Are these the announced bands for the possible pentaband model?
    Well I dont know about Pentaband, but thats the standard which is coming to EU ie. Unlocked model or International model
  13. Aykazu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    49 Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lundon44 View Post
    Are these the announced bands for the possible pentaband model?
    Besides if you want, you can propably pre-order European model from like Amazon.de or something, ill look it up for you
  14. rwcrossman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by theefman View Post
    If you want to unlock it, at&t is not your best option. If they go the same route as with the 900 you'll have to wait 6 months to get it unlocked from them. Might be better to look at the Rogers version, their 900 version was easier to unlock and will work on at&t's LTE network.
    I was thinking the same thing but I just got off the phone with a rep and did a chat support so I would have a record of it and they both said if I buy it full price they will unlock it same day.
  15. Aykazu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    49 Posts
    #15  
    Nokia Lumia 920 (Factory Unlocked) PureView 8.7 MP camera ,Windows Phone 8 ,4.5" | eBay

    Well it seems amazon doesnt have it but found it from eBay...
  16. #16  
    I'm really hoping the Microsoft stores in Canada will sell unlocked phones. The carriers can go f*** themselves.
  17. ryzama's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    #17  
    I've heard a few comments from people regarding Rogers and how it was fairly easy to unlock their Lumia 900?

    I live in Alberta on TELUS and along with everyone else, I am quite ticked with this carrier exclusive bullcrap. TELUS still hasn't announced any Windows Phone 8 devices, and I am trying to decide if I can pass on the L920 for the HTC 8x if TELUS picks that up, or maybe even the Samsung.

    However, if I just can't pass on the L920, which is probably going to be true, is Rogers my best choice? Do they unlock the phone for you, who has experience in unlocking Rogers phones? Also will L920 Rogers phone work on TELUS LTE? I think TELUS is using LTE 700MHz, not 100% sure though.
  18. ryzama's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwcrossman View Post
    I was thinking the same thing but I just got off the phone with a rep and did a chat support so I would have a record of it and they both said if I buy it full price they will unlock it same day.
    Got off the phone with who, Rogers or AT&T? Because I would definitely buy from AT&T instead of Rogers so I can get different colours if they are willing to unlock the phone.
  19. Coreldan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,532 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,540 Global Posts
    #19  
    Most likely from the flagshipstore in Helsinki, Finland. Unless some one of the finnish carriers offer any discount for the phone for taking up a 2 year contract with them, they usually don't around here.
  20. rwcrossman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by RyZaMa View Post
    Got off the phone with who, Rogers or AT&T? Because I would definitely buy from AT&T instead of Rogers so I can get different colours if they are willing to unlock the phone.
    Sorry for not being more specific but that was for AT&T in the United States.
  21. Dusteater's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    320 Posts
    Global Posts
    557 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by theefman View Post
    If you want to unlock it, at&t is not your best option. If they go the same route as with the 900 you'll have to wait 6 months to get it unlocked from them. Might be better to look at the Rogers version, their 900 version was easier to unlock and will work on at&t's LTE network.
    I need an unlocked one since I am spending the winter in Russia. My question is, what if I buy the phone at full retail, how does AT&T handle that? I don't have an upgrade at the moment and have to buy it that way anyways.
  22. ryzama's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwcrossman View Post
    Sorry for not being more specific but that was for AT&T in the United States.
    That's awesome to hear!! Because I'd really like White or maybe Red. Rogers for some fail reason is only carrying Black.. I mean wtf?

    Curious though, did you specifically mention the L920 and they said yup, you pay full retail we will unlock it?
  23. Lundon44's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    389 Posts
       #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by RyZaMa View Post
    I've heard a few comments from people regarding Rogers and how it was fairly easy to unlock their Lumia 900?

    I live in Alberta on TELUS and along with everyone else, I am quite ticked with this carrier exclusive bullcrap. TELUS still hasn't announced any Windows Phone 8 devices, and I am trying to decide if I can pass on the L920 for the HTC 8x if TELUS picks that up, or maybe even the Samsung.

    However, if I just can't pass on the L920, which is probably going to be true, is Rogers my best choice? Do they unlock the phone for you, who has experience in unlocking Rogers phones? Also will L920 Rogers phone work on TELUS LTE? I think TELUS is using LTE 700MHz, not 100% sure though.
    The Rogers 900 was instantly unlockable through online sources. I'm also on Telus using the L900 and LTE does work. I live in downtown Toronto and find I get an LTE signal about 80% of the time. Strangely it took using the phone for about a week before LTE really started to show, before that it was only getting 4G. On LTE I hit almost 20mbs/sec which I thought was good until my friend showed me his speeds on Rogers LTE on his GS3 which were significantly faster. Not sure if it's the carrier or the fact I'm using a Rogers phone on Telus.
  24. Lundon44's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    389 Posts
       #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by RyZaMa View Post
    That's awesome to hear!! Because I'd really like White or maybe Red. Rogers for some fail reason is only carrying Black.. I mean wtf?

    Curious though, did you specifically mention the L920 and they said yup, you pay full retail we will unlock it?
    As exciting to hear as that is I'll wait for proof of this before taking the chance. I got screwed over on the L900 from AT&T and it became a paper weight for 2 months before I said eff it and bought the Rogers cyan model so I could unlock it.

    As well a ton of people including myself have been bombarding Rogers with complaints over their launch colors (or lack of) and I feel that there could be a small chance that they may launch a second color. They've responded to my complaints saying they've been escalating my feedback as well as others on this matter. So one things for sure is they are aware people are unhappy about black being the only color choice. And they claim to have more info to release on this matter closer launch.

    I'll grab a yellow, cyan or white from AT&T (if unlockable) but would rather grab an unbranded Rogers model closer to home and save on the customs and shipping from Ebay.
    ryzama likes this.
  25. theefman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,995 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,996 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusteater View Post
    I need an unlocked one since I am spending the winter in Russia. My question is, what if I buy the phone at full retail, how does AT&T handle that? I don't have an upgrade at the moment and have to buy it that way anyways.
    It will still be locked to at&t, same as buying on contract. Lots of info on this in the 900 forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions