No call blocking?

stvnAZpx

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
It appears the new Nokia phones do not have call blocking. So probably a deal killer for me. My 900 doesn't and was hoping the new ones would.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
It appears the new Nokia phones do not have call blocking. So probably a deal killer for me. My 900 doesn't and was hoping the new ones would.

Well it's a Windows Phone so if there's no call blocking for Windows Phone 8, then there wont be one for Lumia 920.

Personally have no idea. Anybody has any solid info about it?

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
All the modern Smart Phone OS's lack this feature. Android has apps that supposedly do it but its pretty hit or miss. You can try doing something like a Google Voice number and then having your calls forwarded from there. But if your number is already out there and its an issue the best solution I ever came up with was to get a new number which I know is not what you wanted to hear.

Xsever

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
It appears the new Nokia phones do not have call blocking. So probably a deal killer for me.

Most, if not all current smartphones, do not have this feature because very very few people use it.

If it's that big of a deal and a deal killer for you, I'd say keep the phone you have or try and snatch an older phone on eBay which has it. Symbian phones maybe? N8? 808?

Tyresian

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't think this will ever be built in. And the reason is that this is something that service providers charge money for and I believe they would throw a fit if it was in the OS.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
D
I don't think this will ever be built in. And the reason is that this is something that service providers charge money for and I believe they would throw a fit if it was in the OS.
did you say that AT&T and Verizon would "throw a fit"??

Sent from my HTC Titan 2 using Board Express

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
All the modern Smart Phone OS's lack this feature. Android has apps that supposedly do it but its pretty hit or miss. You can try doing something like a Google Voice number and then having your calls forwarded from there. But if your number is already out there and its an issue the best solution I ever came up with was to get a new number which I know is not what you wanted to hear.

My old Galaxy S2 Skyrocket has it. Very useful feature actually, especially to get away from those annoying marketing calls.

gfunk84

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Wouldn't this be a carrier feature so that the call never even has to be sent to your phone as opposed to a device feature where the call would make it to the phone and then be disconnected (waste of network resources)?

Vheissu

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I know that on Verizon you can block specific numbers from calling you on their website, that is what I have done when it was necessary in the past

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Now that I've had time to think about it, some Android phones have Call Rejection I have it on my Samsung Galaxy S2. I really don't use my Galaxy S2 any more, so I had forgotten about it..

I tried this feature and the first problem i noticed is when I have unknown caller checked, if a person blocks their number with a code (*67?) the call still comes through as "Private".

The next problem I encountered is I had a woman calling me daily with one of those auto caller machines, with a message in Spanish. Every time she would call it was a different area code and number, so I am sure her machine had some type of random number generator, so even though I was adding those to the Call Rejection list, it didn't help since she had a new number every time she called.

gpatrick15

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Every Android phone I have used has it. It is a feature built right into the contacts app. Select the contact you wish to block, and select to have it blacklisted. Though it doesn't technically "block" the number from calling you, it does forward those blacklisted numbers to voicemail without alerting you to the call or the voicemail, effectively blocking said caller from reaching you until you unblock their number. With the right messaging app (there a plenty), you can even blacklist texts.

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Agreed, Android has it but so do all carriers. The issue with the carriers is some charge extra. I know Sprint had it for free but AT&T charges $5 per month but it also offers other filtering features for children such as internet content filtering.

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Every Android phone I have used has it. It is a feature built right into the contacts app. Select the contact you wish to block, and select to have it blacklisted. Though it doesn't technically "block" the number from calling you, it does forward those blacklisted numbers to voicemail without alerting you to the call or the voicemail, effectively blocking said caller from reaching you until you unblock their number. With the right messaging app (there a plenty), you can even blacklist texts.

What phones have you used? I don't think it is built in on standard android, I can't find it in the stock phone or contacts apps on CM10. Could be touch-wiz/sense etc. features.

I know when I used MIUI they had a pretty fantastic phone app which managed call/sms blocking really well. I used it at times to block friends from intentionally ruining sports scores that I had to watch delayed. I assume there would be apps capable of it in the market anyway.

gpatrick15

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
What phones have you used? I don't think it is built in on standard android, I can't find it in the stock phone or contacts apps on CM10. Could be touch-wiz/sense etc. features.

I know when I used MIUI they had a pretty fantastic phone app which managed call/sms blocking really well. I used it at times to block friends from intentionally ruining sports scores that I had to watch delayed. I assume there would be apps capable of it in the market anyway.

G1, MyTouch 4G, G2, Nexus One, Inspire 4G, Galaxy Nexus. That's in my household entirely, but I myself have only owned the G1, Nexus One, Inspire 4G, and Galaxy Nexus. It is built right into the OS, and has been since the G1 launched. People>Whatever Contact you wish to block>Menu>All calls to voicemail. That's the method on stock Jellybean, but in the past you'd have to edit the contact and select "Forward all calls to voicemail," or something to that effect. Go SMS allows you to blacklist texts as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss