Switch to Straight Talk from Verizon and get the 920?

ColeHarris

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I'll try to keep this short. Currently I'm on Verizon with an unlimited data plan which I'm paying roughly $100 dollars a month for on my Galaxy Nexus, however with the recent incursion of their so called "share everything" plans it looks like it won't be long before I'll be screwed out of my "unlimited" data. Even now they've made it impossible to buy a new phone at the subsidized price without being forced into one of these new plans. So thats frustrating but outside of that a $100 dollars is a lot of money for a broke college student who's trying to shave off every bit of cost possible, so the $45 dollars a month that straight talk is asking for talk, text, and data sounds mighty appealing. Another factor is that I really really really love the 920 (based on what I've seen at least) and seeing as its not going to come to Verizon (trust me its not) the only way to get this phone would be to switch to AT&T and seeing how Straight Talk is basically AT&T without 4G for half the price I can't seem to find a downside here. So I'm not sure if there are any of you out there that currently use this service but If you could give me your thoughts on this I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for your help!

Also just FYI I live San Francisco

doomtuba

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I used to be on Verizon but now I'm on StraightTalk with a Lumia 900 while I wait to decide which WP8 to get. It says that there is unlimited data, but I've read that they throttle you after 2 GB a month, and if you continue to download they'll just dump you. I've never had a problem with the data since I have WiFi at my house and at school. When I'm not on WiFi I've found the HSPA+ speed to be good enough, especially considering the $45 a month price. I've been more than happy not forking over $100+ a month to Verizon.

ColeHarris

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I used to be on Verizon but now I'm on StraightTalk with a Lumia 900 while I wait to decide which WP8 to get. It says that there is unlimited data, but I've read that they throttle you after 2 GB a month, and if you continue to download they'll just dump you. I've never had a problem with the data since I have WiFi at my house and at school. When I'm not on WiFi I've found the HSPA+ speed to be good enough, especially considering the $45 a month price. I've been more than happy not forking over $100+ a month to Verizon.

Thanks! The thing is though that If I were to stay on Verizon I'd have to switch to one of these limited data plans eventually anyways so I would end up with the same thing basically, **** even with my unlimited plan I start to get throttled after 2+gigs (which I rarely get up to though).

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
I've been using StraightTalk for over a year now. I've had my Focus Flash on it since they rolled out the Bring Your Own Device. I have never had a problem with them throttling me or even cutting me out completely. I sometimes even stream music and youtube. I wouldn't do it everyday or all day without using WiFi.

I just recently looked at maybe switching to AT&T for the WP8, I found that even with paying up to $700 dollars for the phone and the 2 years at $45/month it was still cheaper than just paying for the service on AT&T for the same 2 years. So I will be buying my phone off contract and getting a sim from ST. Can't go wrong.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Agreed, unfortunately my Lumia 900 was stolen yesterday, before I can get a Lumia 920. In saying that, I am with straighttalk. It's not amazing speedwise and I initially had trouble getting MMS to work. But the reality is, for $45/month versus $100+, it's not even worth comparing.

BotanicalStig

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
So an unlocked 920, 8x/s, ativ, would work on straight talk? I've got ~6 months left on my ATT contract and will be switching to a cheaper network. Would be nice to get an unlocked phone now and keep it when I change networks.

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
So an unlocked 920, 8x/s, ativ, would work on straight talk? I've got ~6 months left on my ATT contract and will be switching to a cheaper network. Would be nice to get an unlocked phone now and keep it when I change networks.

As long as they come from AT&T it will work. But it doesn't have to be unlocked even. My Focus Flash is still carrier locked and works great.

Ron Paul

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for bringing this to my attention! I may just ditch my AT&T unlimited, assuming they will nix my plan soon too. My issue is that I need the grey Nokia 920, so StraightTalk sounds extra logical considering AT&T LTE won't be supported on international 920s.

Great topic, friend.

thejoyofsobe

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
right now i'm on a basic phone from Verizon and intend to buy an AT&T-locked Lumia 920 as my first smart phone a couple of weeks after it's released and put it on Straight Talk.

i'm waiting a couple of weeks because i'd rather let others find any hiccups with the 920 (e.g. like iPhone's notorious death grip, Apple maps, purple flare, etc) before i make that jump because the 820 with identical RAM and processor would still be a viable, although less than ideal, option.

so once it's released i'm very interested in hearing how well the 920 does on Straight Talk and what steps/how difficult it is to set up. also even though i don't expect them to i'd like to know if the locked-AT&T version will come with the Nokia Headset WH-208.

until then, since grey is not coming to AT&T, my mind is occupied by deciding between matte cyan and matte black. my heart says cyan but my head says black.

Last edited:

ColeHarris

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
right now i'm on a basic phone from Verizon and intend to buy an AT&T-locked Lumia 920 as my first smart phone a couple of weeks after it's released and put it on Straight Talk.

i'm waiting a couple of weeks because i'd rather let others find any hiccups with the 920 (e.g. like iPhone's notorious death grip, Apple maps, purple flare, etc) before i make that jump because the 820 with identical RAM and processor would still be a viable, although less than ideal, option.

so once it's released i'm very interested in hearing how well the 920 does on Straight Talk and what steps/how difficult it is to set up. also even though i don't expect them to i'd like to know if the locked-AT&T version will come with the Nokia Headset WH-208.

until then, since grey is not coming to AT&T, my mind is occupied by deciding between matte cyan and matte black. my heart says cyan but my head says black.

From what I've read it appears you can use nearly any unlocked GSM phone even if its not on AT&T so perhaps you could order the grey one from another country or something and use it. I could be wrong though, I hope not as I really like the grey as well.

ColeHarris

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Wow glad to hear that this has worked out for people, initially I was thinking that $45 dollars a month sounded a little too good to be true but I guess not. My contracts up at the beginning of November so this will work out perfectly for me.

Another question for you guys, where will the best place be to get the 920 unlocked after launch? Will Amazon have the best prices or is there somewhere else I should look? Thanks for you help!

doomtuba

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Expansys, negrielectronics and gsmnation are all reputable unlocked cellphone retailers.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
The phone doesn't have to be unlocked to be used if using the AT&T option on the sim card. My Focus Flash is not unlocked and works great including MMS.

However, that being said, this time around I might go unlocked to see if I get updates easier and quicker.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Or wait and get the 920 variant that's eventually coming to Verizon. Although I'm generally a big fan of MVNOs. If you can get out of your contract now without a penalty, I'd say go for it 10/10 times.

Toni Heath

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
hi my nastrme is Toni,
Have a HTC thunderbolt and have a 2 yr. contract with verizon with grandfathered in unlimited wireless contract that is up in 2 months. Can The HTC phone be converted to Straight Talk Wireless network? or am I stuck staying with verizon . need a good photo phone and wifi,,, travel all over united states and am in some strange places with roaming!

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I've been using Straight Talk for a year now and I just switched from my Lumia 900 to the Lumia 920. Easy as pie and loving the $45/month. I've never been throttled and I do stream a lot. Just don't make it a routine. And neither of my phones is unlocked. Just that simple. Buying outright is the way to go. Craigslist is also your friend for picking up a device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos