Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    I have a bad feeling that new deliveries will slip, I just hope my spider sense is wrong...

In what German Internet stores is there physical stock of Lumias 920 (any color) ?
    Last edited by un hombre; 11-07-2012 at 11:15 AM.

I also ordered from Germany but from getgoods.de when their prediction was 2-4 days until shipment (for the black one-last week) today the estimation changed to 2-3 weeks!! After contacting them I was told they had a batch delivered today that's preparing for shipping according to date-of-order priority so If I'm not among those lucky ones I'm doomed! I've been waiting for this thing since it was announced, 3 more weeks sounds like a lifetime! Still I won't allow myself to be taken advantage of by Telefrog which sells the device via Amazon.de for 772,01(!!!) Euros. Seriously plus 1 cent?!?!

I'm really tempted to order mine from Germany as well, but am a bit worried what this means re. the phones firmware.

Could there be differences between UK and DE firmware; e.g. missing features or languages? And what about future updates? Or do the European models all have the same EU firmware?

Can anyone that already received theirs maybe confirm the firmware version?

Quote Originally Posted by Gorki247 View Post
    I'm really tempted to order mine from Germany as well, but am a bit worried what this means re. the phones firmware.

Could there be differences between UK and DE firmware; e.g. missing features or languages? And what about future updates? Or do the European models all have the same EU firmware?

I think only difference from you is that you have other outlets in UK.

I have ordered the Surface and many other stuff, including Lumia 920 from Germany (I live in Sweden) - I have not received the latter though.

Quote Originally Posted by illumia View Post
    I also ordered from Germany but from getgoods.de when their prediction was 2-4 days until shipment (for the black one-last week) today the estimation changed to 2-3 weeks!! After contacting them I was told they had a batch delivered today that's preparing for shipping according to date-of-order priority so If I'm not among those lucky ones I'm doomed! I've been waiting for this thing since it was announced, 3 more weeks sounds like a lifetime! Still I won't allow myself to be taken advantage of by Telefrog which sells the device via Amazon.de for 772,01(!!!) Euros. Seriously plus 1 cent?!?!
    Telefrog were originally at 599e too but have been increasing the price as stock went down.
    I had an order there which was despatched today so cancelled my one with Cyberport.
    It's been shipped using Hermes so not sure how long it will take to arrive but at least it's on it's way :D

I bought a sim free Nokia Lumia 800 from Amazon UK last year, it came with about a dozen European languages preinstalled. It detects the default language of your sim card so that when you turn on the device it sets it as default. So it seems to be a generic EU firmware.

However my HTC HD7 was bought from O2 Ireland and only came with English, German and French (the main O2 countries).

So I am ASSUMING that the SIM free EU models will have all European languages, unless some of these German sites are reselling unlocked localised versions of the 920 (which I honestly don't believe is technically possible yet anyway).

You may possibly miss out on some network features, eg if Vodafone UK have an app for certain network features, it may not be possible to get access to it with a sim free generic model.

For firmware updates, the sim free ones are usually first, so that's a bonus!

Yes, they are a different firmware as each country normally has its own generic firmware as they will have the settings for that countries carriers. Normally this means the default language of that country. However, it will be normally use the language of the sim which is in the phone.

Also normally, you'll have country specific applications.

The firmware can be easily changed using Nokia Care Suite or Cab sender methods.

I don't think you should worry about that. It's not like Verizon vs AT&T in Europe. There a much more consistent situation here. Although I can't say I'm a mobile expert my job involves frequent travelling and me and my colleagues have been using "UK" iphones with sim cards from Germany, Greece , Turkey, Cyprus, USA (AT&T) even U.A.Emirates without a glitch. I'm not sure what exactly you mean with firmware while mentioning languages at the same time, it's pretty clear that WP8 supports more languages that you 'll ever need and you can be assured that a UK sim card will work on a phone bought in Germany. The only thing you should watch out for is sim-lock which I haven't spotted in any of those online shops in Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by RXP-Andy View Post
    Yes, they are a different firmware as each country normally has its own generic firmware as they will have the settings for that countries carriers. Normally this means the default language of that country. However, it will be normally use the language of the sim which is in the phone.

Also normally, you'll have country specific applications.

The firmware can be easily changed using Nokia Care Suite or Cab sender methods.
    I've been using German bought phones on and off for the last 10 years with no issues. The SIM free phones should be the same firmware, only the network operators a make changes to the phone in specific circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Narr View Post
    I've been using German bought phones on and off for the last 10 years with no issues. The SIM free phones should be the same firmware, only the network operators a make changes to the phone in specific circumstances.
    As you can see from the Navifirm screenshot, there are multiple firmware's for each country variant.

Thanks guys. You put my mind at ease and I just placed my order with our German friends.

And this is one reason I love EU. Travel of goods from country to country, made easier. Though some German e-retailers just won't send ship to Finland, is annoying -_- Feel so isolated here!

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keizka View Post
    And this is one reason I love EU. Travel of goods from country to country, made easier. Though some German e-retailers just won't send ship to Finland, is annoying -_- Feel so isolated here!
    Isolated?

Bro, if you wait 1-2 weeks, you will have the phone released in your country 100 Euro cheaper then anywhere else!

I'd say it is worth the wait ;)

I finally got the DHL tracking number from cyberport. The black 920 is heading my way. It's happening :). Has anyone else been lucky with getting it shipped from cyberport?
    Last edited by kektre; 11-07-2012 at 03:17 PM.
    Phazeshifterz likes this.

Indeed, I was so surprised to read that the 920 will be released around the 22nd Nov in Finland! I mean everyone knows they are not actualy built there but at least as a sembolic gesture they could be among the first countries to offer the thing! It's a small market anyway so it shouldn't be that difficult to allocate some stock... Aivan uskomatonta! :)(Finnish for "unbelievable")

Quote Originally Posted by un hombre View Post
    Isolated?

Bro, if you wait 1-2 weeks, you will have the phone released in your country 100 Euro cheaper then anywhere else!

I'd say it is worth the wait ;)
    You think there's any left when it gets released? Talked to couple of carrier reps in different stores and what I gathered from them a) shipments aren't huge b) web preorders get theirs first, after that you can order it from store. c) those web pre orders? Pretty much gone. That 500 euro offer lasted for two days, or less. And they aren't getting more, AFAIK. Sure you could get from Sonera too, but you'd have to add a new plan, which isn't quite what I want right now.

Also, preordered mine ;) Was just general rambling, mind you!

Quote Originally Posted by illumia View Post
    Indeed, I was so surprised to read that the 920 will be released around the 22nd Nov in Finland! I mean everyone knows they are not actualy built there but at least as a sembolic gesture they could be among the first countries to offer the thing! It's a small market anyway so it shouldn't be that difficult to allocate some stock... Aivan uskomatonta! :)(Finnish for "unbelievable")
    Small market that has pretty much sold out as far as preorders go (At least in TF case, Saunalahti seems to have quite strong preorder sales too after my quick chat with their rep).

I'm going to Berlin over Christmas and I'm planning to pick one up there. I heard there's a Saturn branch that's huge, which, coincidentally also has a nice view over Alexanderplatz. :)

Do you guys think that there'll be stock around 20-24th December at the Saturn in Berlin?

Quote Originally Posted by kektre View Post
    I finally got the DHL tracking number from cyberport. The black 920 is heading my way. It's happening :). Has anyone else been lucky with getting it shipped from cyberport?
    Yup. Me :D.

Quote Originally Posted by lindyn View Post
    Yup. Me :D.
    Aw lucky you! :) if you don't mind me asking, when did you guys put your order in?

Quote Originally Posted by Christina125 View Post
    Aw lucky you! :) if you don't mind me asking, when did you guys put your order in?
    Friday (2-11) afternoon. I also ordered the black one.

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coldside View Post
    I'm going to Berlin over Christmas and I'm planning to pick one up there. I heard there's a Saturn branch that's huge, which, coincidentally also has a nice view over Alexanderplatz. :)

Do you guys think that there'll be stock around 20-24th December at the Saturn in Berlin?
    Nobody here will know that I guess. But if you want, I might call Saturn Berlin to reserve one for you. But it might be too early now to do that. So you might remind me then. It shouldn't be a big deal, I reserved mine on monday - you don't have to pay in advance or something like that. Maybe you need to give them your last name. I'm doing Nintendo promotion in Saturn stores (not in Berlin though), so I know a bit about these stores.

I'm traveling tomorrow morning to Berlin for couple of days. Any ideas where to look for yellow or red 920's? Does Saturn have any of those available in their stores?

Quote Originally Posted by lindyn View Post
    Friday (2-11) afternoon. I also ordered the black one.
    That's weird, I ordered mine (black) on friday in the morning, and I'm still on 'not in stock'. I'm guessing your position in the queue depends on what type of payment you pick.

Quote Originally Posted by toolskyn View Post
    That's weird, I ordered mine (black) on friday in the morning, and I'm still on 'not in stock'. I'm guessing your position in the queue depends on what type of payment you pick.
    I hope not. That wouldnt be fair... I also ordered on friday. Chose to pay for it when it arrives at my door...