Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree16Likes

Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lbcole View Post
    A quick word on price and term: $99 for the phone on a 3-year plan, which seems to be the Canadian minimum for high-end phones.
    How much for a 1 year deal? Three years is way too much for any one phone.

Reading this thread makes me smile. :)

Hey lbcole, Any word on your battery life, etc? I'm wondering how long it will last on a full charge.

Thanks!

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    Battery life is something that needs to be tested for at least a month. I heard from abysmal to superb. so I'll guess it has a capable battery but taking pictures drains it fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterfang View Post
    Battery life is something that needs to be tested for at least a month. I heard from abysmal to superb. so I'll guess it has a capable battery but taking pictures drains it fast.
    Well, lbcole has had the phone for about a week now, that should give a good indication of battery life on a full charge. Most people reporting battery life have had the phone only for a day or two.

Plus, lbcole is new to WP and probably excited to play with the phone, meaning heavier use than average. I figure their battery life experience will represent, at minimum, how much I'll use my phone on a day to day basis.

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    Yes, God I miss when my phone could last two days without a charge.

Yes, God I miss when my phone could last two days without a charge.
    I have a strong theory that something happened with the WP7.5 update (mango) that seriously reduced the battery life of the OS.

I have a Samsung Focus, bought it the day it was released 2 years ago. I was getting 3 full days of moderate use out of the phone. Then one day I updated to WP7.5/Mango. Immediately on the next charge (basically the next day) I was reduced to 1 full day of use. Since that day I've never come close to 3 days or even 2 days with moderate use.

There was something drastically changed in WP7.5/mango.

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    Yeah the same happened with my Optimus 7. But is kind of obvious, Live tiles drain the battery.

For example I have outlook,Me tile and two groups in my main screen. All of them taking the same facebook information and sucking my battery life. None of that was in Nodo device, also the phones where made with pre-Nodo in mind, so my Optimus actually has great battery life as a feature on the back of the box (which is true, it was amazing! I loved the device so much, I kissed it to sleep).

The day before getting mango, I was here on this site all excited, browsing on my device the whole day and I still made it phone with half, then I got the update. Browse the web for two hours and my phone went from full to dead. =(

What's the browser like?

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

I can see that you've used iPhone previously. How is the music quality in Lumia 920 in comparison to iPhone (through earphones).

Is it similar clarity, loudness, etc.?

I cannot find anything in the professional reviews of Lumia's weight ;)

Thanks in advance :)

Global Posts
    2,540 Global Posts
    The N8 managed to take pictures with very little battery. I copied 300 page books with the camera (2 pages per picture, so 150 pictures) with Xenon flash and 12mpix in every picture. After I was done, battery was still full. Given, At leat Nokia Symbian^3s have the bad habit of not really showing the battery has taken any hit until its below 70%, but I sufficed that day with the battery like no pics were ever taken.

That said, I'm sure the OIS for one sucks out some extra battery on the 920 when taking photos. That said, I'd expect the 920 flash then again is far more power efficient than a Xenon flash that blinds anyone within 100 meters :D
    Hello and thank you all for your posts!

How do you feel about the size and weight of the phone?
    Is it easy to carry in your pocket? I may be buying a 920 for me and a 820 for my wife.
    I can handle the larger size of the 920 but my wife think its to big to carry around at work.
    How do you feel about that.

Today i use a Iphone4 and my wife uses a Iphone4s...

Charles

Global Posts
    2,540 Global Posts
    I'm not the OP, but I'll chip in about the size and weight. I'm a male in young 20s with fairly average hand (perhaps even less than average as I'm only 174cm tall which is probably shorter than average and hands probably go in some proportion) and I have no issues with the size or the weight.

Weight is a very personal preference, it's gonna be quite a culture shock for you at first coming from an iPhone that are generally speaking light, but the first thing that I thought when I held a 920 was "wow, this feels like a real solid device". Personally I prefer a bit heavier phones in general, so this may not apply to everyone, but for me the weight was only a positive thing.

More about the size, I could easily reach and operate the screen with one hand. I come from Nokia N8 which is a thick phone too, so the thickness was just "normal" to me. Once again might be a quite different experience for you at first.

As for the 820, sure it's a bit smaller, but then again fairly much inferior in specs to the 920. If your lady wants a high end phone, it would suck to settle with a 820. The best bet would be to try and get some hands on.. 920 is probably available before 820 anyways, so maybe your wife can get some hands on time to determine if its too big for her or not. It depends a lot on how you carry the phone. Like for me I carry it in jean pockets so weight isnt a problem there, but a friend likes to carry his phone in his blaser pocket and the blaser "gives in" much more than jeans with a belt, so for him the weight argument is a bit more valid.

The main problem with the size and weight for me is that it is the main point of all discussions, reviews, etc. and due to this fact I cannot find information that would be really useful for me...

I've been trying to find information about sound quality since last week. There is also very little information about battery life (I know that it is early, but still), how video playback works, etc. Everything is around the weight which is not a big deal, but it is stealing all the conversations.

Oh well, I guess we need to wait till this gets old and then we can read some thoughts on other, more important functions of the phone.
    Resident Developer

Quote Originally Posted by lbcole View Post
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_200 using Board Express
    How is it that no one is questioning this? OP, are you certain you haven't bought a Lumia 820 instead of the 920?

RM-820 is the 920 >_>
    Resident Developer

Quote Originally Posted by MAERSK View Post
    RM-820 is the 920 >_>
    well that's just insane numbering, what is the 820 if anyone has that device?

RM-824 is 820

Ya, device numbering doesn't make a whole lot if sense. Weird that.

Meanwhile, battery life. My typical use is a commute. Circumstances recently changed my 2+ public transit commute to <10 min drive, yay me!!!!

Either way, I tend to plug my device into my machine at work so I'm pretty well consistently fully charged. Over this first week, my perception is that there's a significant improvement in battery life over my old iPhone.

Weight, also significantly greater, even than my neighbour's Lumia 900. But I like that, makes me more comfortable as the device feels more substantial.

And loving the composite body/screen!!

Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_200 using Board Express

Quote Originally Posted by JayTBennett View Post
    Baffled...
    Lumia 710 is RM803 (international) and RM809 (Tmobile)
    Lumia 800 or 900 is i think RM819 (one of them is dont remember which)
    Lumia 920 = RM820 (as above)
    Lumia 820 = RM824 (as above)

so it seems all Lumias are numbered RM8xx
    Thanked by:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123