Pictures/Videos taken with your 920!

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Overall, what I've noticed with the 920 is that everything is good picture wise minus the slight blur in daylight photos. Was at the AT&T store today and tried all sorts of pics. Close, far, zoom, instant snap, focus with button, focus with touch screen. Colors are definitely better than the 8x, but the 8x does a better job of creating a "sharper" image.

If Nokia's software update can get that fixed, then the phone will definitely be complete in all aspects.

kathryncheng

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
These pictures are fantastic and very professional.. awesome.. thanks for sharing..

got my lumia this morning and took a few photos :]
Click to view quoted image

im very impressed with the macro :] those bokeh look fantastic.
pictures under daylight seem fine to me too. and I tried sticking my phone in my closet with just a little bit of gap for some light to go in. and the picture turns out so well. (I had the focus light off as well)
I did the same with my Focus S, and the picture came out black. -v-;

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Overall, what I've noticed with the 920 is that everything is good picture wise minus the slight blur in daylight photos.

Notice when you take a pic it gets super focused and THEN blurs out? I think this is a shutter speed issue. Granted, I know very little about picture taking, but keeping ULTRA still seems to greatly lessen/eliminate this blur. I didn't do much picture taking today. But I am going to slap the camera on a tripod here tomorrow and see if my theory is correct (at least about the better pics when the camera is still part).

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Does it do it with the camera button, or the software one ? Or both.. actually, I am not sure what the difference is since the camera button is still a digital shutter..

Kissanviikset

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I did some research how camera lenses works and found out why some pics versus other phones may look blurry.

First of all Lumia 920 have large field of view (26mm focal length). That makes side of images look bit stretched and objects far away appear smaller, making them have less detail visible. Plus side of this is that you can get more stuff in to your photo.

Aperture size is f2.0 and that makes your focus plane and area smaller than smaller aperture cameras (larger f number). What i understood that it should make that particular focus area sharper and it also gives greater bokeh effect. You should be able take great macro shot and close ups with nice depth of field, but when taking larger i.e. landscape shots, those probably appear softer. Other thing is greatly increased low light capability and there Lumia 920 deliveres.

If you compare those values to iPhone 5 (33mm focal lenght, f2.4 aperture) you can find part of reason from there why some shots look softer. iPhone 5 have deeper depth of field which makes larger part of image to be in focus. Other part is software which can be improved.

Aspect ratio have own impact to photo also. You should always compare 16:9 image to 16:9 image or 4:3 to 4:3 image, or at least make sure compared part of image appears same size in photo if comparing different aspect ratio photos.

All above values are in conjunction to each other and determines how your photo turns out. Like The Verge said Lumia 920 is more to people who know about photography.
A great camera for pros, but what about the rest of us?

Bottom line is that you need to shoot differently with Lumia 920 compared to other phones and you get great photos. And choose your aspect ratio of photo to suit what you are shooting. I think when software is fully finalized Lumia 920 can really rock.

Last edited:

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
@Kissanviikset,
(hoping not to get too much offtopic here)
Thanks for the explanation. In "Photos for dummies" words, does that mean that the Lumia920 with its bigger aperture size makes nicer macro pictures (with blurry backbround) than, say, an iPhone 5?

Kissanviikset

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
@Kissanviikset,
(hoping not to get too much offtopic here)
Thanks for the explanation. In "Photos for dummies" words, does that mean that the Lumia920 with its bigger aperture size makes nicer macro pictures (with blurry backbround) than, say, an iPhone 5?

Actually im not sure anymore when reading article again :D

Depth of field - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is just too much variables.

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Took a few pics this morning.

hjA8s.jpg

orp45.jpg

eN2kZ.jpg

Members online

No members online now.