Pictures/Videos taken with your 920!

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
These videos do not look good at all. They may be less jerky, but the details just looked smeared or non-existent. Reminds me a lot of the vidoes the Razr makes, very dull looking with no details. I also think the stabilization is overhyped. It doesn't provide a better viewing experience IMO. It actually makes me nauseous since instead of the typical jerk I've come to expect, it jelly rolls like a rocking boat, and rocks back and forth, back and forth. I see a lot more detail in galaxy s iii and iphone 5 videos, espcially when you freeze the frame.

Whose video are you talking about? The vid hwalker did was very good, showed off stability + detail. There's no way the GS3 or iPhone 5 comes close to detail compared to the 920. Seen it with my own 2 eyes, 920 hands own pwns them video quality.

andraeseus

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I did some research how camera lenses works and found out why some pics versus other phones may look blurry.

First of all Lumia 920 have large field of view (26mm focal length). That makes side of images look bit stretched and objects far away appear smaller, making them have less detail visible. Plus side of this is that you can get more stuff in to your photo.

Aperture size is f2.0 and that makes your focus plane and area smaller than smaller aperture cameras (larger f number). What i understood that it should make that particular focus area sharper and it also gives greater bokeh effect. You should be able take great macro shot and close ups with nice depth of field, but when taking larger i.e. landscape shots, those probably appear softer. Other thing is greatly increased low light capability and there Lumia 920 deliveres.

If you compare those values to iPhone 5 (33mm focal lenght, f2.4 aperture) you can find part of reason from there why some shots look softer. iPhone 5 have deeper depth of field which makes larger part of image to be in focus. Other part is software which can be improved.

Aspect ratio have own impact to photo also. You should always compare 16:9 image to 16:9 image or 4:3 to 4:3 image, or at least make sure compared part of image appears same size in photo if comparing different aspect ratio photos.

All above values are in conjunction to each other and determines how your photo turns out. Like The Verge said Lumia 920 is more to people who know about photography.

Bottom line is that you need to shoot differently with Lumia 920 compared to other phones and you get great photos. And choose your aspect ratio of photo to suit what you are shooting. I think when software is fully finalized Lumia 920 can really rock.
Do you know of any basic tutorials on how to do this? I know I can google it but if you have anything specific to the 920 it would help. If I need ot adjust settings for great day light pictures I would like to know which settings to adjust

MicrosoftNorthstar

May 17, 2011
Visit site
The Orion constellation taken last night:
4qgsU.jpg

masciam

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand people saying the pictures in daylight look good.. they look terrible to me! Colors and white balance may be accurate and that's great, but the lack of detail is absolutely ridiculous. My old iphone 4 can probably take pictures with more details than the lumia.

If it was something I could only notice viewing pictures at 100% it probably wouldn't bother me, but even the resized pictures at 800px look bad and I can see the pixelation.

This picture someone posted earlier in the thread is a great example:
https://lkw6oa.bay.livefilestore.co...HBs_3Mmwlg1f6Cybm8pxL_OWL/WP_20121109_004.jpg

Look at the flowers on the right at 100% and the noise reduction is so strong it almost looks like a cartoon filter was applied to the image.

To those saying the video and low light performance make up for the poor performance during daytime, I'm sorry but it just doesn't work like that for me. Nokia hyped the camera and everyone was expecting great results.. I don't want an okay camera, I want the best in the market and right now it's probably not even in the top 5.

Don't get me wrong.. I think this phone is fantastic and I can't wait to get rid of my 4S and get a cyan one, but the camera is a big deal for me! I just don't get everyone sugarcoating the issue.. if apple released a new phone that took pictures like this everyone would be saying how awful they look.

Anyway it will take some time for nokia to launch this phone in my country and I'm hoping by the time they do this problem will be in the past!

masciam

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I did some research how camera lenses works and found out why some pics versus other phones may look blurry.

First of all Lumia 920 have large field of view (26mm focal length). That makes side of images look bit stretched and objects far away appear smaller, making them have less detail visible. Plus side of this is that you can get more stuff in to your photo.

Aperture size is f2.0 and that makes your focus plane and area smaller than smaller aperture cameras (larger f number). What i understood that it should make that particular focus area sharper and it also gives greater bokeh effect. You should be able take great macro shot and close ups with nice depth of field, but when taking larger i.e. landscape shots, those probably appear softer. Other thing is greatly increased low light capability and there Lumia 920 deliveres.

If you compare those values to iPhone 5 (33mm focal lenght, f2.4 aperture) you can find part of reason from there why some shots look softer. iPhone 5 have deeper depth of field which makes larger part of image to be in focus. Other part is software which can be improved.

Aspect ratio have own impact to photo also. You should always compare 16:9 image to 16:9 image or 4:3 to 4:3 image, or at least make sure compared part of image appears same size in photo if comparing different aspect ratio photos.

All above values are in conjunction to each other and determines how your photo turns out. Like The Verge said Lumia 920 is more to people who know about photography.

Bottom line is that you need to shoot differently with Lumia 920 compared to other phones and you get great photos. And choose your aspect ratio of photo to suit what you are shooting. I think when software is fully finalized Lumia 920 can really rock.

I don't think the aperture is the case. The difference between f/2.0 and f/2.4 is big in terms of how much light you'll get, but at this sensor size (i'm assuming the lumia 920 is probably 1/3", same as iPhone and common compact cameras) the depth of field is great and would not justify the pictures we're getting.

In my opinion this is an issue with the noise reduction algorithm they're using. The pictures do not look soft (as in blurred), they just lack detail.

Brandon Riesenbeck

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
These are all quick snaps taken with default settings. The idea was to see how the camera does in standard, everyday use. Snapped these as soon as the phone came out of my pocket.

WP_20121110_004.jpg

WP_20121110_008.jpg

WP_20121110_010.jpg

My brother with his new Lumia 920

WP_20121110_011.jpg

Already?!

WP_20121110_026.jpg

WP_20121110_002.jpg

zolgi

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand people saying the pictures in daylight look good.. they look terrible to me! Colors and white balance may be accurate and that's great, but the lack of detail is absolutely ridiculous. My old iphone 4 can probably take pictures with more details than the lumia.

If it was something I could only notice viewing pictures at 100% it probably wouldn't bother me, but even the resized pictures at 800px look bad and I can see the pixelation.

This picture someone posted earlier in the thread is a great example:
https://lkw6oa.bay.livefilestore.co...HBs_3Mmwlg1f6Cybm8pxL_OWL/WP_20121109_004.jpg

Look at the flowers on the right at 100% and the noise reduction is so strong it almost looks like a cartoon filter was applied to the image.

To those saying the video and low light performance make up for the poor performance during daytime, I'm sorry but it just doesn't work like that for me. Nokia hyped the camera and everyone was expecting great results.. I don't want an okay camera, I want the best in the market and right now it's probably not even in the top 5.

Don't get me wrong.. I think this phone is fantastic and I can't wait to get rid of my 4S and get a cyan one, but the camera is a big deal for me! I just don't get everyone sugarcoating the issue.. if apple released a new phone that took pictures like this everyone would be saying how awful they look.

Anyway it will take some time for nokia to launch this phone in my country and I'm hoping by the time they do this problem will be in the past!

You don?t even have the latest software. It?s 1 month old.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Nokia hyped the camera and everyone was expecting great results.. I don't want an okay camera, I want the best in the market and right now it's probably not even in the top 5

Are you just looking at daylight image quality, or the overall camera package that the phone offers ?

By "camera package" I mean still photography in various conditions, video recording, sound recording, zooming, camera UI.. etc.

If you are just looking at the daytime image quality, then yes... I would say the 920 is outside of the top 5, but if you are looking at the "package" .. I would say its easily in the top 3.

If you want absolutely the best camera, you are looking at wrong Nokia. And.. I am just curious, which phones are in your top 5 ?

Bought the phone today and here are a few shots I took using my wife's red 920 of the Chinese Lantern Festival in Dallas.
Thank you for sharing.. very nice pics and I think those are one of the first ones where the flash came in handy. It seems to work fine, and everything is in focus.. that is good.

Something I've learned when shooting portraits with flash is that the skin tones tend to be on the "cool" side, and to bring back some "life" into them you have to play with the color balance on a editor (either on the phone or on a PC) and add a bit more red and reduce the blue.. it helps a lot in same cases.

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
The nighttime/low light shots are the best I've seen on a phone camera. But the daytime shots are seriously the worst I've seen from any high end phone currently on the market. It's like Nokia is on both extreme ends of the scale.

I really hope they fix it because I like everything else about the phone. But as it is now, this isn't something you can "post process out" as the WPC review tried hammering into our heads (notice they didn't give us any examples of this magic being done). If its garbage out, then you can only do so much with that. This is something Nokia is gonna have to solve in-camera, if it can even be fixed. There's a lot more going on here than what just cranking up some color correction & sharpening levels can fix. Believe that.

Last edited:

masciam

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Are you just looking at daylight image quality, or the overall camera package that the phone offers ?

By "camera package" I mean still photography in various conditions, video recording, sound recording, zooming, camera UI.. etc.

If you are just looking at the daytime image quality, then yes... I would say the 920 is outside of the top 5, but if you are looking at the "package" .. I would say its easily in the top 3.

If you want absolutely the best camera, you are looking at wrong Nokia. And.. I am just curious, which phones are in your top 5 ?

As I mentioned in my post I'm talking specifically about daylight image. I'd say that 90%+ of the pictures that I really care about keeping are taken during the day, and while it will be nice to be able to take good low light shots those will likely be of me and my friends in a bar, night club etc (i.e. facebook stuff).

I'm sure that once I get the 920 I'll probably find myself taking more pictures in low light, but there's only so much you can do with a small sensor...

I use my phone camera a lot (I have almost 1500 pictures in my iphone) and it pretty much replaced my point and shoot camera. Right now it's either the phone or my 60d, which is not exactly portable. That said, no matter how good the "package" is, if daylight pictures are bad then I couldn't care less about how great the audio recording is or whatever (again, this is my personal opinion).

About the top 5, I can only tell you from experience. I have an iphone 4s and my brother has a SIII and both phones take great pictures. The iphone 5 is supposedly better than the 4s in low light, so also really good. The flagship phones from HTC and Sony (One X.. xperia something?) are probably better than the 920 as well.

Sure, the 808 beats them all, but it's a niche product.

If I had iPhone 5/galaxy s3 performance in daylight and lumia 920 in low light I'd be more than happy.

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
a couple of close up pics that when viewed at 100%, I can't really complain. 8mp on such a tiny sensor wil not take DSLR class photos.

Here is a picture of my iphone and I think it shows two things. DOF (depth of field...center of image is sharper than the outside of the image which is outside of the focal plane) and some decent detail (at 100% you can see individual pixels).
https://skydrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror

Just a close up of a mailing insert and my sons matchbox car:
https://skydrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3