Pictures/Videos taken with your 920!

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm VERY disappointed with the video quality on the 920 in low-light conditions. But I keep an open mind, so perhaps someone can tell me if I'm doing something wrong, or something could be done to improve that?
Have a look here: myciello - YouTube . I took several videos at a Muse concert this week. At first I had the continuous focus on, and as you can see for half of the time the phone could not focus at all and the whole image was completely blurred.. So I switched it off, and tried focusing in camera mode (no problems) and then switching to video to record. The focus wasn't perfect, but satisfactory. But why doesn't the continous focus work at all? Even though at times the light was quite strong it wouldn't even try to focus!
Then another thing: any stronger light and you can't see anything apart from it.. same goes with the LCDs..

And the last thing, the SOUND. I don't get it, at first it was good, even though quiet (look at the first few videos), and then in the last few it became somewhat muffled, with a crackling sound on top (check it here: Muse - Stockholm Syndrome (Live @ Sportpaleis Antwerp, 18/12/2012) - YouTube at 1:35 for example). Did the mic break in the meantime? Is it a software bug? Some vids had this thing so loud that there was no point uploading them..

As a comparison, check out my vids from a Kasabian concert below those.. Taken with my gf's iPhone 5, they are amazing! The focus, the light and the sound! (actually better than from my Canon 500D!). And to think I bought this phone mostly because of the camera! (ok, the camera mode is good, but the video is terrible!) Any chance it can be fixed with a future update perhaps?

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
temporary-23.jpg

Taken on my 920. Used creative studio to edit and then uploaded to photobucket. From there, used my iPhone to copy and paste link. Haven't found a way to copy on the WP version of photobucket.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Loiselle

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I still can't believe this picture I took. "Night" setting, ISO 200, 0 exposure, incandescent white balance, 16:9 ratio, and focus light assist off.

(((click on the photo to see it in full resolution)))

Last edited:

sanders2232

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Looks like a lot of people go with 100 or 200 with ISO.
&
barareklam those photos you took must be with no flash cause those look horrible and I've taken plenty low light pictures that look great.

Jessy Tremblay

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm VERY disappointed with the video quality on the 920 in low-light conditions. But I keep an open mind, so perhaps someone can tell me if I'm doing something wrong, or something could be done to improve that?
Have a look here: myciello - YouTube . I took several videos at a Muse concert this week. At first I had the continuous focus on, and as you can see for half of the time the phone could not focus at all and the whole image was completely blurred.. So I switched it off, and tried focusing in camera mode (no problems) and then switching to video to record. The focus wasn't perfect, but satisfactory. But why doesn't the continous focus work at all? Even though at times the light was quite strong it wouldn't even try to focus!
Then another thing: any stronger light and you can't see anything apart from it.. same goes with the LCDs..

And the last thing, the SOUND. I don't get it, at first it was good, even though quiet (look at the first few videos), and then in the last few it became somewhat muffled, with a crackling sound on top (check it here: Muse - Stockholm Syndrome (Live @ Sportpaleis Antwerp, 18/12/2012) - YouTube at 1:35 for example). Did the mic break in the meantime? Is it a software bug? Some vids had this thing so loud that there was no point uploading them..

As a comparison, check out my vids from a Kasabian concert below those.. Taken with my gf's iPhone 5, they are amazing! The focus, the light and the sound! (actually better than from my Canon 500D!). And to think I bought this phone mostly because of the camera! (ok, the camera mode is good, but the video is terrible!) Any chance it can be fixed with a future update perhaps?

I think you have a problem with your phone ... because it's the worst video I've seen from the lumia. I saw a lot of AWESOME video (audio and video), with no problem with the focus and sometime close to the stage. You have a ""crack"" sound on the video and it's the first time I heard it. the video don't look like a 1080p video. take a look of all the video there on this thread, they are all very good. If you don't have a better result with a lumia than an iphone 5 for a video like this ... you have a problem. The lumia won over iphone for video hand down.

Kooosh

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
What setting did you have it on when you took this? Lower ISO or exposure? Did you tap the screen, hold the shutter half way down to focus, or just snap it?

I was switching between Night and Auto in the scene settings, and that's it. I couldn't tell you which it was set to for this particular one, but it's probably Night. I was tapping the screen, of course being as still as possible. I took about 75 shots with mixed results. This one was the best of the bunch. Glad you like it, I do too.

barareklam

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Is that taken with flash though? If not (I say that because of the white highlights on his face) then I'd still say the lighting conditions were different.

I don't see how the 920 is disappointing though, the 808 (and possibly the N8) aside, there's no smartphone that would come close to this result in these conditions. But it doesn't work through magic, to get enough light without flash it uses a very long shutter time and if there's movement from your subjects then blur is inevitable. The N8 has a much larger sensor though, so that would help a lot. But overall, I continue to be very impressed by the 920 in low light. It captures things I don't even see with my own eyes.

https://skydrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror

https://skydrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror

(both with old firmware, though I just flashed it to Portico)

Look at the face on the woman with cocktail in the hand, you can see reflection of the flash.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Only light was from the tv and computer monitor in room (in both pics)...

With focus light...

WP_20121223_004.jpg

Without focus light...

WP_20121223_003.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077