920 or 8X, can't decide

gfiz

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
My decision tree will work like this:

1. Will AT&T give me subbed 920 1 year into contract? If yes --> buy 920, extend AT&T contract another year. If no -- see 2

2. Will unlocked 920 fully work on T-Mobile network? If yes -- buy unlocked 920 w/ T-mo value plan, ETF with AT&T (already sold my Galaxy S2). If no -- see 3

3. Buy 8x on T-Mo, ETF with AT&T.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
To me watching a film on a phone is pointless when I could watch it on my big led 3d tv but each to their own.

Its pretty obvious that most of the people in this thread will say Lumia but since most of the specs are mute so really just go for the one you like the look and feel of more.

It may not be useful for your particular use case. If the OP doesn't watch video on his phone, then the 60mhz refresh rate won't matter to him either. But that doesn't make it a "gimmick."

A lot of people watch video on their phones.

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Android and Iphone are full of Gimmicks. Retina Display, Quad core etc.. thats why pple want.. Not just of your phone looks good. They want to know how many cores etc etc..

So lets say you buy a HTC 8X and your buddy buys a 920. He is going to be saying to Android guys saying, i have OIS, I have super sensitive screen, Puremotion HD., Nokia apps, wire less charging etc etc.. and will be proud. And what can you say?. After being the laughing stock interms of hardware for so long, you still want to go with 8X which has no gimmicks other than beats..

Well Frankly I dont care about hard ware. But there comes a time when you would like to brag about your Phone just like you brag about your car.

So think before you buy. IF you want mediocre phone still not being able to fight andrion and Iphone army, go with 8X.

If you want some bragging rights, take the 920.

with the 8X you may still be branded as you both a copycat phone..:)..

Anyway the important thing is what you want and what you are happy with.. All the best.

"People" is not me and I assuming you talking about mainly teenagers or people in their early 20's as I am approaching 30 bragging about a phone is not the done thing lol

I don't want or need gimmicks I want a nice looking, well built wp8 device that's practical and the 8X fits the bill.

As for the 8X being a copycat of a lumia that's complete nonsense its not the same shape/size/weight/ or colour so I fail to see the copy? Its like seeing a blue Ford car and a blue Honda and saying one must be a copy because of the still completely different shade of blue...

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
The Windows Phone 8X is the only phone made with Windows Phone in mind. That's why it just looks so good with the OS. The Lumias are recycle ideas with other Nokia phones in mind. The N9 looks great, the 800 not so much.

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
REMOVING CAMERA, STORAGE AND NOKIA APPS FROM THE EQUATION, spec for spec they pair up well. I'm a little partial to the 8X design (especially the blue one), but i am "Apple swayed (sorry, about the only to put it!) by the Nokia because the Lumias have been the "it WP's" so far as it seems like Nokia has been thee essential WP experience putting it on the map.

So, I'm interested to see how other people would vote SOLEY BASED ON REMOVING THE THREE THINGS MENTIONED ABOVE because both are getting great reviews with Nokia getting just a hair more press as the "flagship WP phone." Most pro 8X pieces seem to be highlighting how the Phone feels better in hand over the Lumia. The comments from the readers generally support that as well.

The pro Lumia articles seem to touch on how the screen is better on the Lumia and the extra heft almost makes the phone feel better. My concern there is a ride bikes a lot and I don't want to feel a brick in my back pocket. Do the "extra pennies" make that much difference?

Let's not turn this into some nonsensical "TASTES GREAT! LESS FILLING!" post. So about how about:

Design: 8x or 920?
- weight
- shape
- texture
- button layout (I like the power button on top of the 8x, but I've also read the 8x buttons are too recessed.)
- colors

Screen: 8x or Lumia 920
8x seems to have better numbers, but does pure black beat that?

Overall WP Experience: 8x or Lumia 920

Which one would Jessica Alba want you to call her to be asked out with AND why? 8X or 920?!!
Well.....

If you consider Nokia Drive and Nokia Maps 'apps', these can't be removed from the equation (or at least, my equation) as these are inherent to ALL Nokia devices (be they WP, Symbian, Harmattan-Meego, Asha, etc.).

Both the 8x and Lumia 920 are devices that have screens larger than what I currently use, however, from my experience, Nokia devices are well-built and the craftsmanship is outstanding; and the reception/audio quality are better than any other devices I've ever owned.

Needless to say, as a current Nokia customer, the Lumia 920 would be my choice. At the end of the day, some of the reasons given by others are probably decision points you've already had in mind, and ultimately the final decision will be yours based on what parameters you've prioritized as being worthy of your communication device standards.

Whatever your choice, I hope that you are pleased :)

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
The Windows Phone 8X is the only phone made with Windows Phone in mind. That's why it just looks so good with the OS. The Lumias are recycle ideas with other Nokia phones in mind. The N9 looks great, the 800 not so much.

I have to disagree L900 L800 design is Nokia's identify which is good I like similarity and consistency when it comes to product designs look at Apple and look at where it has taken them.

About the 8X VS 920. Dollar for Dollar you are going to get a better experience using a Nokia phone just based on exclusive apps alone.

Tomasz S.

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I think if you don't include storage, apps, or camera, it will come down to the screen. Are the features of PureMotion HD+ compelling to you?
Super sensitive touch.
60mhz refresh rate for blur-free viewing (for watching action movies).
Best-in-class viewability in sunlight.

I'm not sure how the 8X's Beat's Audio stacks up to the Dolby equalizer in the Lumia. But I'm sure the bigger amplifier in the 8X does make a difference if you listen to music with wires.

ClearBlack is awesome, I' enjoyed it in my Lumia 800 very much over the summer, bet let's face it: winter is coming. :p
Wouldn't it be reasonable to get an 8X now and switch to Lumia in Spring when it's price drops?

Tomasz S.

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I have to disagree L900 L800 design is Nokia's identify which is good I like similarity and consistency when it comes to product designs look at Apple and look at where it has taken them.

About the 8X VS 920. Dollar for Dollar you are going to get a better experience using a Nokia phone just based on exclusive apps alone.

Nokia Maps and Drive are to be available for all WP8 devices. The rest of Nokia apps are really nothing to drool over, I don't use them and don't know anyone who does.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb