So you want a SIM free Lumia 920? Here's how...

ChimeraX73

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
EDIT: This is for the UK, no idea how easy it is to unlock in other countries.

OK, so I have spent a long time today contacting Nokia, EE, Phones4u, and Orange, and this seems like the only solution unless you get an import.

Buy it from Phones4u as a PAYG handset on Orange or T-Mobile.

You'll have to buy a ?10 top-up at that point.

Find out the unlock fee from the network once you have inserted and registered the SIM, for Orange it's ?20, and top-up the remaining amount (so an additional ?10 for Orange).

Request an unlock code.

Orange have just confirmed once you register the phone with the SIM it becomes their responsibility to unlock it, and that I wouldn't have any problems doing this.

Obviously I can't confirm this until Friday at the earliest (provided any of the stores near me have stock), but bearing in mind it's confirmed that you can buy it PAYG on Orange or T-Mobile from Phones4u and Nokia, and that they have to unlock it upon request, it sounds legit.

The "SIM free" models will also be locked to EE, however you're paying the same price for the handset as PAYG with the ?10 top-up, an you'd still have to pay to have it unlocked, so would work out ?10 more. PAYG seems like the best option.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. When i went into Phones4u today and was asking about the 920, i said i wanted Sim free to continue using my existing O2 SIM, and they didnt tell me i couldn't.

To be honest, they didnt seem to know much at all.

ChimeraX73

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Both Phones4u and Nokia UK confirmed on their twitter feeds today that the sim free model would be locked to EE.

I think it's disgraceful that their in-store advertising states a sim free model that's locked!

Unless they are wrong and it's a genuine unlocked sim free model, but from two PR sources it seems odd.

ChimeraX73

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

ashyk36

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 920

Could we also import one from Germany or another EU country? If they sell them sim free there , they may well be unlock. Also may it work out cheaper overall?

ChimeraX73

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
OK the plan wasn't so great, you'd need to stick the PAYG SIM in it, and then wait 3 months before they will allow you to unlock it.

That would obviously put us into January when it should be available from other carriers and as a true sim free unlocked device.

So here's hoping Expansys, Clove, or Handtec will be able to get some soon!

f'king shambles.

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
The more I look at this the more I think perhaps I should just pay for the EE contract and be done with it. Total cost of EE 1GB & unlimited calls + text on 12 month contract is ?661.

Lumia 920 PAYG = ?470 + ?10 top up x 12 = ?590
Thats a saving of ?71 or nearly ?6 a month

T-Mobile will also sell the Lumia 920 but on their full monty ?36 plan on 24 months + ?49 for the phone = ?913

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
The more I look at this the more I think perhaps I should just pay for the EE contract and be done with it. Total cost of EE 1GB & unlimited calls + text on 12 month contract is ?661.

Lumia 920 PAYG = ?470 + ?10 top up x 12 = ?590
Thats a saving of ?71 or nearly ?6 a month

T-Mobile will also sell the Lumia 920 but on their full monty ?36 plan on 24 months + ?49 for the phone = ?913

ashyk36

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The more I look at it the more im starting to consider the 8x, ativ s or the nexus 4. Ideally I would love a Cyan lumia 920 :(

damowynne

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I just want to purchase a lumia 920 in Cyan and use it on Vodafone uk. I can't really leave Vodafone as I have a small business with 10 phones on voda business. Surely there must be a way? My birthday is on the 8th Nov and I decided months ago I was going to treat myself to one. maybe I will go for white, but really I want a matte one but not black, and the grey is just as elusive as cyan!

max__b

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Shambles 920 launch from Nokia UK

Shambles of a launch from Nokia UK... After harping on for so long in it's adverts about the range of colours for the 920 - offering customers a choice not offered by iPhone. We get this crappy launch with next to no colour choice... and each colour is tied to confusingly different exclusive networks, and different sellers. Rather naughtily advertised as 'sim-free' by Phone4u, when they are clearly not unlocked, and only work on EE (Orange/T-Mobile). Even Nokia confirmed that there are no sim-free 920's planned for the UK when I spoke to them.

Heck, all I wanted was an unlocked red 920, of which there is now absolutely no chance of until after Xmas, and it seems little chance after that - as Nokia say they may very well extend the exclusive period.

I'm afraid that buying an alternative WP8 phone to Nokia's range, is looking more and more likely for me... heck I was such an advocate for the phone, telling everybody about how good it was going to be, only to discover a reduced range of colours, and a load of exclusive tie-ins on the phone when Nokia UK finally launched it. I'm so angry, the freedom to choose was such a big part of Nokia's pre-marketing of the phone, and they have just demonstrated the opposite.

pcowton

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Phone-master have all colours ?490 just not sure if the site is legit? Anyone heard of them? I have emailed them to see what they say and see how professional respone is.

Digital Moe

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
What is the warranty like from buying abroad? I guess it will be a real hassle getting it swapped if something goes wrong.

I guess this could work for me I am on T Mobile so I could use the phone and then get it unlocked or do i have to use the PYG SIM for 3 months?

pcowton

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
You could use your own t mobile sim straight away.

It says 3 months of the sim bein active before they will unlock it? Dunno if you would have to put payg sim in once and a while and use it so its classed as active.

Dutchpiet

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Shambles of a launch from Nokia UK... After harping on for so long in it's adverts about the range of colours for the 920 - offering customers a choice not offered by iPhone. We get this crappy launch with next to no colour choice... and each colour is tied to confusingly different exclusive networks, and different sellers. Rather naughtily advertised as 'sim-free' by Phone4u, when they are clearly not unlocked, and only work on EE (Orange/T-Mobile). Even Nokia confirmed that there are no sim-free 920's planned for the UK when I spoke to them.

Heck, all I wanted was an unlocked red 920, of which there is now absolutely no chance of until after Xmas, and it seems little chance after that - as Nokia say they may very well extend the exclusive period.

I'm afraid that buying an alternative WP8 phone to Nokia's range, is looking more and more likely for me... heck I was such an advocate for the phone, telling everybody about how good it was going to be, only to discover a reduced range of colours, and a load of exclusive tie-ins on the phone when Nokia UK finally launched it. I'm so angry, the freedom to choose was such a big part of Nokia's pre-marketing of the phone, and they have just demonstrated the opposite.
I agree with your comments, I wanted 920 black sim free, so am going to HTC windows phone 8x, my old Desire is still working, so will try HTC again. Phones 4u /networks are
Useless, I buy online sim free, from Germany never had any problems,
Buy 920 from EU a risk,

SJSFOX

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
phones4u confusion

I called 4 branches of Phones4U today, and they all stated that 100% the Lumia 920 Sim Free model would be totally unlocked and work with any network... I hope that is the case, as I have been so excited about the Lumia 920 since it was announced, only to find out that I probably won't be able to buy one because my company pays for my sim card and I am stuck with Vodafone!
Anyway, launch day at Phones4U is either Thursday or Friday (depending on the store) and we will find out then. Alternatively Samsung Ativ S here I come...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon