Lumia 920 for T-Mobile unofficial/official thread

jkrc717

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Please everyone, use this thread.

Information has kind of been all over the place.

It has been confirmed that an unlocked Lumia 920 will work for T-Mobile.

The questions now is..

Is it HSPA+14 or 42?

When and where to get the phones?

Also, does this mean the phone will also support 4GLTE when the refarming is complete?

Don't know the answers to these questions, but sounds like big time win, wins.

Thanks all!

Last edited:

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for making this thread. I'm getting really excited about getting an unlocked 920 again. Like you, jkrc717, I've been changing my mind like crazy between getting it or the 810 directly through T-Mobile. But reading all of these stories about the 920 working on the WCDMA 1700 AWS band is so promising and enticing! The more I think about it, the more I feel set on getting that unlocked yellow Lumia 920 I've been dreaming of! :D

MAERSK

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
HowardForums thread with big pics of box and manual stating 1700/2100 Fq bands

pics:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Another HF thread with SS of Lumia 920 running WIND sim

pics:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Is it T-Mobiles 3G or 4G? Meaning is it as fast as like getting a T-Mobile branded phone?

Do you know how many threads there are? Everything is all over the place. Thats why this is the unofficial thread for this topic... so help me out man..lol ;)

Both 3G & 4G actually since they are the same. T-mo's 4G is actually HSPA+ which the L920 supports. What it really comes down to is the coverage area you're in. If you're getting a HSPA+ signal then you'll get theoretically up to 42mbps, regular HSPA if not, and of course EDGE if no 3G.

So ALL international unlocked 920's will work?

Mobilecity doesn't list T-Mobile

Yes & No. We don't know yet if European unlocked models will have these bands. It appears (until we see a pic of an AT&T box) that the AT&T version doesn't support T-mo's bands.

I remember when the L800 was launched there were two versions of the RM-819 one for US & one for Canada (HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 vs 850 / 1900 / 2100). Plus there was also the RM-801 for Europe (HSDPA 900 / 1900 / 2100). Who knows how many versions the L920 will have :confused: I hope these international versions have all bands

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Please everyone, use this thread.
It has been confirmed that an unlocked Lumia 920 will work for T-Mobile.

The questions now is..

Is it HSPA+14 or 42?
The phone is HSPA+42. If it supports AWS Band IV (1700) then it will also support HSPA+42. The Rogers Lumia 920 has been shown to work on AWS Band IV (since that is what Wind uses), therefore you will be getting T-Mobile's max "4G" speeds with it.

As for LTE? That's up in the air. It depends on the bands included in the phone and I believe also the classes within the bands and what T-Mobile ends up supporting.

yodies

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
This is really great news. Hoping the Europe phones (where there is more color options) have the same radios. Don't really want a black 920, but will settle if I have to.

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Okay

So, there is a crazy deal going on at Best Buy right now.

People are getting 920's for $450 here

https://ebay.bbymsolutions.com/

(The site keep crashing but if you keep trying you get get through)

Are you guys saying it will work on T Mobile here in Los Angeles?

Should I grab it and just hope it works on T Mobile here in LA?

MAERSK

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
I would actually hold off dainla since those are probably AT&T models which probably don't support the T-mo bands. However since you stated you live in Los Angeles, T-mo has done refarming there and you'll get 3G on the 1900 band. See

airportal.de

for more specifics on that (note map is incomplete, help out if you have a Tmo phone).

smoheath

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
This is so awesome. I was hoping the 920 would work with t-mobile so I could use their $30 a month no contract plan. It is the cheapest out there for sure.

jkrc717

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the info.

Anyway, this sounds great.

I'm still not clear on whether or not all unlocked phones would work. I guess we wait and find out where to order from.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Maybe when it's available at other countries, the people who grabbed them there will share their pics and experiences like the Rogers people have. :happy:

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I really want to get a 920 and use it with Tmo in the US as well. Hopefully they will be available for purchase too.

My other option is staying with VZN and getting the 8X.

Mediademics

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
If the L920 route does not pan out I'll end up buying a 810. Either way I am going to tmobile for their $30 plan. About had it with Sprint.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I just did something a little crazy. I was browsing a few sites I know are selling the Lumia 920 and found a white one that has the AWS 1700 band we need for T-Mobile support and put an order on it! :confused: Here's where things get REALLY bizarre - they changed the price to $35.50! I authorized my PayPal account to buy it, though it says "Order on Request 3-5 Days" beside it. Also, after I submitted everything, I went back and saw that the yellow and at least one other 920 also has the $35.50 price beside it as a special price. I left them an email since nobody's online to question it and to ask if I could switch to the yellow one. I hope I didn't just do something REALLY stupid. But if I could somehow get a Lumia 920 for that cheap and use it fully on T-Mobile, I'll be happy. :p

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Update about my last post - it was an ERROR! :p I called their customer service to confirm. My order's not going through even though it was their mistake, it's going to be canceled. Well, at least I won't be charged $700+.

In any case, I thought it would be worth mentioning that Negri Electronics apparently IS carrying AWS 1700-supported Nokia Lumia 920s. They also have a few Rogers ones in different colors. :excl: This is great news. :lol:

yodies

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I just noticed the Grey 920 on Negri is listing 1700 bands. Emailed them to ask if they had one in-person to verify the bands listed on the box, so we'll see what they come back with. If they do, that's the color I want, and I'll be buying it from them ASAP to use on TMo.

Not sure if I've got the guts to go to the 5GB/100min plan (I use the phone for voice calls closer to 150 min/month based on past bills. Will probably just go with the Value 2gb plan for $40. Who knows. Right now the plan is the least of my worries, I need the phone first!

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Hmm... It looks like some of the 920s I saw on Negri yesterday are now gone. The white one I tried to order for $35.50 :p is one of them. There were also a few more, including a red and those seem to have vanished as well. I just have to wonder if the ones they have listed as being for Rogers would work on T-Mobile. They're a shade cheaper and do list the 1700 band we need.

Ahh, well, in any case, I'm holding off on getting a 920 for now. Decided I'm getting the 810 in a couple of weeks but will look into getting a 920 after the AT&T exclusivity ends. It'll definitely be cheaper by then, especially if there's a newer phone on the horizon. But I'm happy to help you folks out if I can. :)

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm being patient and seeing exactly what details come out once AT&T releases their Lumia 920. I just feel like there's a lot of things that remain unconfirmed. Here's how I see the situation playing out...

1. Rogers 920s do come with AWS support, and if you can get one unlocked, it will work like a charm for T-Mobile USA. However, it is possible that the early Lumia 920s they got are developmental versions, which may have different bands installed.

2. AT&T version does not have T-Mobile support, but there is a slim chance it may, but the details have not been listed. We will not know until someone gets one from an AT&T store and looks/reads the manual. Even then, we have to worry about how it will be unlocked.

3. You will have to buy an unlocked one, which is going to run you a bit more money than the others.

Overall, it's a hefty investment either way you look at it. I might just go with the 8x if the price ends up being too steep.

pdjcrawford

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Screen capture from my day trip to Buffalo today with my Rogers Lumia 920, T-Mobile SIM inserted.

On the MMS front a very helpful rep in a T-Mobile store spent a good 20 minutes trying to find MMS APN settings that would work, but to no avail. Apparently his internal help site lists WP8 settings as "Coming soon" so this remains a work in progress.

It was quite funny to have the Lumia 920 in both a T-Mobile and AT&T store where customers were left by reps who gathered around to witness what they had not yet seen!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss