Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43
Like Tree18Likes
  1. jmerrey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,631 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,643 Global Posts
       #1  
    Nokia Lumia 920 review | The Verge

    biggest non-wp8 drawback? guess ;)
  2. Stadifer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    149 Posts
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    #2  
    Eeeeeeeee..... I'm so stoked that 920 reviews are at least out.

    One would imagine the release announcement isn't far behind.
  3. VagrantWade's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,399 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    #3  
  4. #4  
    I really thought that was a fair and impartial review. I liked it. Even the Verge was impressed with the camera quality. I can not wait.
  5. Dregur's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    #5  
    If anything, this calmed my fears about the camera, and verified what I thought when early leaks started coming out. While point and shooting is alright, the real power behind the camera is the amount of tweaking you can do to get an absolutely fantastic shot.
  6. Stadifer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    149 Posts
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmerrey View Post
    Nokia Lumia 920 review | The Verge

    biggest non-wp8 drawback? guess ;)
    I'm tellin ya... If they didn't have the app knock on WinPhone the 920 and 8X would be the top of the class for mobile phones.
  7. theefman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,035 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,036 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmerrey View Post
    Nokia Lumia 920 review | The Verge

    biggest non-wp8 drawback? guess ;)
    Doesnt make you breakfast? Wont stand in at work for you so you can play Halo 4 on release day? OK, I'm stumped.
    a5cent likes this.
  8. sherwin892's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    #8  
    A satisfying review. Glad they were impressed with the camera. I will have to try this and get a feel for the phone personally to see just how heavy and bulky this phone is. Maybe some of the reviewers are spoiled on thinness and small screen size of Apple products. I'm coming from a Galaxy Nexus with a cover, so I'm sure the difference will be negligible for me.

    Speaking of which, will you guys be using a cover for you phone or will this phone be okay without one?

    Oh and MS/Nokia needs Instagram fast, especially with a camera like the 920 has and the color choices. It is obviously catering (one of) to hipsters or youngins. And the lack of Instagram will surely turn off two of their target markets.
    Last edited by sherwin892; 11-01-2012 at 06:19 PM.
  9. dkp23's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,415 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,444 Global Posts
    #9  
    Looks like the discoloration issue with the camera is still there.

    What i mean by this is if i take my 900 out to take a photo today, what i see on the screen and the final picture will be different, there will be some type of tint that while change the colors. Makes it look look dusty at times or a very bland colorization.

    For me, i just want to be able to pull out the phone and take pictures and reasonable pictures. Hopefully this will be the case.
  10. keizka's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    78 Posts
    #10  
    I find it seriously amusing they are slagging ecosystem that much, since I remember them giving Lumia 800 an ecosystem score of 6. Inconsistency!

    Wonder how much Josh had say in that review... Ecosystem at least, but what else?
    tissotti likes this.
  11. Luminatic's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    240 Posts
    #11  
    Ah, The Verge, those old ecosystem whores :P
    If they gave the ecosystem a 9, the overall score would be close to a 9. I would say that speaks for the device. I also found the good score for battery life quite relieving.
    Also ... I wonder why they gave reception a mere 7 while stating they are in a bad reception area? Weird.
    Happy WP user :P
    a5cent likes this.
  12. sud123's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    #12  
    Although the original Maps app is no longer listed on the apps list, it's still hiding on the phone. Tapping an address link in Outlook launches it instead of launching Nokia Maps, which is likely to be a cause of genuine confusion for many users
    can someone with a 920 clarify how this works? what happen when I want to navigate to an address from outlook?
  13. VagrantWade's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,399 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by sud123 View Post
    can someone with a 920 clarify how this works? what happen when I want to navigate to an address from outlook?
    I would assume what it means is that it will launch it in bing maps and not nokia maps. But I don't know how accurate that is.
  14. red grenadine's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    542 Posts
    Global Posts
    545 Global Posts
    #14  
    Objectively better camera than an iPhone 5, but same score
    Objectively better screen than an iPhone 5, but same score

    Oh Verge, never change
    a5cent and karmamule like this.
  15. ncxcstud's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,071 Posts
    #15  
    He even mentioned in the review that Microsoft is courting developers HARD. Much more than they did with Windows Phone 7.

    Bringing the top apps available on other platforms isn't going to solve it though. As long as an app doesn't release at the same time for WP as it does for iOS and Android, those 'ecosystem' scores will always be low.

    Heck, Android still doesn't get a lot of apps at the same time as iOS and when looking at similar timeframes WP is way ahead of where Android was at this stage...
    Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI
    God's work, our hands.
    Preaching the Gospel.
    Holding a Windows Phone.

  16. ncxcstud's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,071 Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Luminatic View Post
    Ah, The Verge, those old ecosystem whores :P
    If they gave the ecosystem a 9, the overall score would be close to a 9. I would say that speaks for the device. I also found the good score for battery life quite relieving.
    Also ... I wonder why they gave reception a mere 7 while stating they are in a bad reception area? Weird.
    I wondered that too about the reception score. He even mentioned in the review that others weren't experiencing the same issues he was at all.
    Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI
    God's work, our hands.
    Preaching the Gospel.
    Holding a Windows Phone.

  17. MattiasH's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6 Posts
    #17  
    Why is no one talking about the mic quality in a review? For me is it very important, like recording concerts
    / the Swedish guy
  18. MattiasH's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6 Posts
    #18  
    Why is no one talking about the mic quality in a review? For me is it very important, like recording concerts
    / the Swedish guy
  19. Muessig's Avatar


    Posts
    4,145 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,195 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    #19  
    We all know the Verge has its... tendencies with its apps and apples and so on, but I was surprised to see this was a remarkably well thought out review and as with others some of my fears about the camera were calmed a bit here. Now all I need is to save up a little bit more, find a way to get an unlocked 920 in the UK and go and yell at someone in a shop to take my money. <Queue internet meme>
  20. keizka's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    78 Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by MattiasH View Post
    Why is no one talking about the mic quality in a review? For me is it very important, like recording concerts
    / the Swedish guy
    Guess they didn't deem it important enough to review.

    Dang, I'm going to Machinae Supremacy gig on 21st. Shame the release here is on 22nd...
  21. trivor's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    482 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Luminatic View Post
    Ah, The Verge, those old ecosystem whores :P
    If they gave the ecosystem a 9, the overall score would be close to a 9. I would say that speaks for the device. I also found the good score for battery life quite relieving.
    Also ... I wonder why they gave reception a mere 7 while stating they are in a bad reception area? Weird.
    There are still WAY TOO many applications missing on WP8 for me to even consider switching and it's not the major ones people would think.

    I am a sports fan and WP8 does not (and probably will not for a long time) team specific apps for Football, Baseball or Hockey (I'm not talking about ESPN, etc). They do not have specific apps for my banks (remote check deposit from my phone is awesome and indispensable) or Brokerage accounts. They do not have all the travel apps (Airlines, Hotels, Flight Tracking). I could go on and on and I'm sure I will get flamed for this. WP8 has to be as good (and don't tell me there are alternatives because the ones I mentioned above are used almost daily) and the idea that you have to try WP8 to appreciate it does not work very well in the world of Verizon 14 day return periods. While it MAY eventually get up to double digits (on the same growth path as XBox) there is a reason that iOS and Android have 85% of the current phone market. There is no law stating that there must be 3 viable, competing phone OSes and for many people (and I don't even use most of the top 50/100 apps) missing some of the applications they are using on their current OS (iOS or Android) makes WP8 a non-starter (that's not even including the cost of replacing a number of the apps that are available).
  22. tissotti's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,107 Posts
    #22  
    Thinking the score Lumia 800 received for ecosystem imo WP8 score is simply wrong there, especially thinking the apps that have already been announced thanks to NT kernel.

    Other than that i think the review was fair. I knew they would never give any of the Windows phones 8 or over, just knew it.
    I'm expecting even a bit more positive review from Engadget.

    Quote Originally Posted by trivor View Post
    There are still WAY TOO many applications missing on WP8 for me to even consider switching and it's not the major ones people would think.

    I am a sports fan and WP8 does not (and probably will not for a long time) team specific apps for Football, Baseball or Hockey (I'm not talking about ESPN, etc). They do not have specific apps for my banks (remote check deposit from my phone is awesome and indispensable) or Brokerage accounts. They do not have all the travel apps (Airlines, Hotels, Flight Tracking). I could go on and on and I'm sure I will get flamed for this. WP8 has to be as good (and don't tell me there are alternatives because the ones I mentioned above are used almost daily) and the idea that you have to try WP8 to appreciate it does not work very well in the world of Verizon 14 day return periods. While it MAY eventually get up to double digits (on the same growth path as XBox) there is a reason that iOS and Android have 85% of the current phone market. There is no law stating that there must be 3 viable, competing phone OSes and for many people (and I don't even use most of the top 50/100 apps) missing some of the applications they are using on their current OS (iOS or Android) makes WP8 a non-starter (that's not even including the cost of replacing a number of the apps that are available).

    I actually agree with you. I personally don't really understand the talk about Instagram, to me it's about the specific sport team apps or searching for cooking app and getting 7 very high quality apps were you can chose the one you want.

    Though to me the score is just a bit too slow if you scale it to their other reviews.
  23. MattiasH's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6 Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by keizka View Post
    Guess they didn't deem it important enough to review.

    Dang, I'm going to Machinae Supremacy gig on 21st. Shame the release here is on 22nd...
    i mean, a great camera can be useless if the sound quality from the mics is ****t up
    keizka and metalchick719 like this.
  24. keizka's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    78 Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by MattiasH View Post
    i mean, a great camera can be useless if the sound quality from the mics is ****t up
    Oh I agree. I agree very much. If they managed to get the mic even close to 808 standards, it would be awesome gig cam.
    MattiasH likes this.
  25. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Luminatic View Post
    Ah, The Verge, those old ecosystem whores :P
    If they gave the ecosystem a 9, the overall score would be close to a 9. I would say that speaks for the device. I also found the good score for battery life quite relieving.
    Also ... I wonder why they gave reception a mere 7 while stating they are in a bad reception area? Weird.
    "Call quality was uniformly good, but I've had intermittent issues with reception, especially on LTE. Nokia tells me that this unit is technically still running preproduction software, other 920 users I spoke to didnít have the issue, and finally AT&T in Seattle generally seems lackluster, so I'm not willing to say definitively that there's a real problem here"

    Still gave it a 7...
    tissotti likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions