Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterfang View Post
    The Note is so thin and light is more pocketable than the 920. It also has a reason for the compromise, is actually a very innovative phone because of the larger screen and responsive stylus, which to be honest will get more use than blurry pictures at night.
    You also compromise looking like a huge tool when talking on a phablet.

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    You'll look tech savvy and cool.

Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    The Note is so thin and light is more pocketable than the 920. It also has a reason for the compromise, is actually a very innovative phone because of the larger screen and responsive stylus, which to be honest will get more use than blurry pictures at night.
    Lol. The Note is longer and wider, only 1mm thinner, and weighs nearly the same.
    ramrac likes this.

Global Posts
    3,043 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vagrantwade View Post
    You also compromise looking like a huge tool when talking on a phablet.

Classic!!! :D
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    Must be a slow day when you have to come into a nokia thread to troll. Not getting enough attention in the other forums?
    ramrac likes this.

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stmav View Post
    Must be a slow day when you have to come into a nokia thread to troll. Not getting enough attention in the other forums?
    Sundays are boring :-(
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    Got football to watch. But I'm assuming it's not that popular in PR?

Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    TIL that Winterfang is a guy.

Personally, I'm less interested in what the tech press thinks of this phone and more interested in what Joe and Jane Averageconsumer think. They're the ones whose purchases will make or break this device, not the enthusiasts who frequents forums such as ourselves.

For me, the 920 is too big and too heavy. I've been carrying a Focus and a Galaxy Nexus as a daily device. After months of use, including some tweaks to make the Nexus more usable with one hand, I finally came to grips with it's 4.65" screen, so I'm sure I'll do the same with the size and weight of the Lumia 920 over time. Keep in mind that it's a 16:9 ratio compared to the 16:10 ratio of the 4.5" display on the Lumia 920, so the diagonal screen size is a bit misleading. Viewing content in 720P is glorious, but I still prefer something closer to the size and weight of the Focus. It's not that I can bear the heft of the Nexus, but that the size is so useable singlehandedly, and disappears in the pocket. I'm definitely getting a Lumia 920 over the HTC 8X (which looks very competitive), but I'm not looking forward to the size or weight. The Galaxy Nexus already has an annoying bulge in my slim, not "super skinny", slacks and jeans.

I would really love it if there were a Windows Phone OEM who would make a device somewhere in the range of 4" - 4.3", with specs of those other two phones, and a superlative build qulity. I know I'm in the minority, but toss in 32GB and I'd pay $299 for this. Basically taking an iPhone approach to the quality of hardware.

And regarding the Note 2, it's a big device, but doesn't feel much bigger than the Galaxy S3 because it's so light and thin. I might be picking one up soon. And the battery is 3100MAh, versus 2000MAh on the Lumia 920. Some were saying the Lumia's battery was adding to the size and weight, which is obviously true to an extent, but considering I'm using an 1800MAh Samsung battery on my Focus that's feels only a tad heavier than the stock 1500MAh, I have to wonder what the dimensions and weight are on the Lumia 920's battery.
    Microsoft Store employee; opinions are mine.

I'm on the Twitters.

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to this site - and while Im super bored of my iphone and am looking forward to the windows phone, I had actually have never tried one until today. I went to the ATT store to ask about the nokia 920 (who were unfortunately very clueless about it) and while I was there I played with in nokia 900 - and OMG is that an awesome phone. I mean honestly- the windows software is everything I wanted in a phone, ease of use, live tiles, integrated.. I could go on.

There's really no other reason why I'm writing this other to say how excited I am for this phone and particulary windows phone 8.

Reading all these (crap) tech review sites of windows phone 8 does not give this software justice. I havn't been so excited about a technology ever - I just know that this phone will succeed.

Okay - my rant is done.
    jayruguitar and ramrac like this.

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    Yeah Windows Phone is pretty neat, WP8 even more so. Jump in the water is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rico View Post
    TIL that Winterfang is a guy.
    Wait what? Winterfang's not a teenage girl?
    jayruguitar likes this.

I've been waiting for WP8 and the 920 to be released and to be honest was surpised by the 8X which also looks like a good option- partly because it's a bit lighter and narrower. I'll wait 'till I can check them out for myself before making up my mind though. I don't think the 920 size and weight will be an issue- it's about the same weight as my trusty HD2 with a protective case but much thinner without the need for a case.

My HD2 is 177g (6.24oz) and 14mm thick with a cover.

But all this chatter about weight got me curious so I did a quick survey around the office. I've never heard anyone complain about the weight of the iphone4/4S and I thought this would be a good reference point, so I grabbed a few and weighed them- every one had a cover/case of some sort. Here's the results:
    Helen: 155g (5.47oz) 13mm thick
    Sarah: 174g (6.14oz) 18mm thick
    Kien: 159g (5.61oz) 14mm thick
    John: 163g (5.75oz) 14mm thick
    Nichole: 225g (7.94oz) 24mm thick (trady case!)
    Darren: 178g (6.28oz) and 20mm thick (leather flip case)

So even most light cases add between 18 and 35 grams to the weight of a phone (except for the bullet-proof ones like Nichole's) and about 3.5 to 8.5mm to the thickness. Both the 920 and 8X have bigger screens than the iPhone's so I'd expect them to be a bit heavier. Funny thing is, when I hold a nude iPhone 4 and my nude HD2 I can barely tell the difference and only when I pay very close attention- but there is actually an (apparently) HUGE 20g (0.7oz) difference.

So what did I learn? I think the weights we are talking about are a non-issue for me and I am surpised at some of the squealing heard in some of the reviews- but I still want to check out these two phones for myself. And also- don't mess with Nichole while she's got her phone next to her- because that thing is a weapon.
    Thanked by:

If one is comfortable with the thickness of the Nokia Lumia 900/800 there is absolutely nothing to to fear here. The phone is fine, just a lot of FUD by weaklings hipsters.

Weight is only a concern if I think about how sometimes I'm on my phone in bed and drop it onto my face. That'll hurt. Ha. I can't wait to get this phone already!!!!!!

Global Posts
    1,643 Global Posts
    Very good post about the weights with cases, thanks! I've always wondered about that. Most of the iphones I see are covered in plastic tri-colored bulky cases which, combined with their short size, give them an almost box-like look.

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    So if you add a case to an already "heavy" phone, what would that be like. Whoa!
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    You'll look like a virgin.

And one that will stay a virgin for the forseeable future.

Unless a hollow cucumber counts...

:dry

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Even his majesty Beckham looks like a ****** talking on a Note.

And I highly doubt you look like that

So...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screen_shot_2012-05-22_at_1.46.01_pm_large.png  

I think this should be posted on every review site claiming the Lumia 920 is too heavy.

Thanked by:
    KoukiFC3S, Reeves and VagrantWade like this.

Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Today, we got a demo of the LG Optimus G today. From the dimensions shown, the device is pretty much the Lumia 920 minus being thicker and heavier. Overall though, it is about 50 grams less than the 920. Putting it in my pocket and all, walking around all day with the demo, there was no problem with it. Now I understand 50 grams may be "considerable", but it overall does not come off as a big deal to me.

If anything, the dimensions of the phone make me think if my thumb can reach from top to bottom if holding it normally lol.

Quote Originally Posted by katamari201 View Post
    I was browsing around youtube for lumia 920 sample videos today. This is what I found. Might've been posted earlier on here. It's just hilarious.

This is exactly how I imagine your typical troll would look like. A thug in real life and in cyberspace. Either this, or a fat kid with glasses in their parent's basement who is afraid of the sun. Either case, social misfits. I had to hug my teddy bear as this angry guy from the hood screams at me with profanity and insults. Apparently he is angry enough to make a threatening video aimed toward people criticizing the lumia 920. It's almost like people were calling his girlfriend fat or something. Then he goes on to list pretty much all the popular review sites and how they are not real men and blah blah hackneyed machismo stuff blah blah.

Most reviews did not dock points for the weight and size, but made good mention of it since frankly it is a significant departure from other phones. It was not the linchpin in the review process nor the ultimate deciding factor. Trolls don't listen to reason though, so they will get angry at the slightest bit of criticism, and run with it, as if it was a matter of life and death. Otherwise, the rest of the phone was well reviewed, but some people are just obsessed.

How many people are as angry about the weight complaints as this guy? Can you achieve the same terrifyingly insane laugh? Heheehehehe!
    Is he for real? I cant stop laughing. The nokia is heavy for a modern smartphone, yes. But i'm still getting one, coming from a iphone and case its about tha same, and the nokia isn't getting a case. It's built to be without, the iphone isn't (unless you can afford to buy a new one every 6 months when you drop it).

Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saintforlife View Post
    CNET in its review went so far as to say that you can't put it in your jeans front pocket comfortably. What are the other reviews saying about the size and the weight of this phone?
    Picked mine up today. And yeah, I've gotta say: it's too darn heavy. Uncomfortably so.

Quote Originally Posted by zipro View Post
    Picked mine up today. And yeah, I've gotta say: it's too darn heavy. Uncomfortably so.
    Did it arrive by mail?

If not, did you try it at the store? What made you decide to purchase it even though it was uncomfortable?

I use one of the heaviest phones on the market.. its 170 grams without a case, and I have no issues with it.

For some people.. it might be a problem, but that depends on a lot of things. I would take the weight if I know that its there for a reason, and it brings something useful to the end user.

If video stabilization, wireless charging, great built quality, and an amazing screen are not essentials you care about, and you won't take advantage of them, then.. ya, there are smaller/lighter alternatives out there that don't offer those things in one package.

What concerns me more is the actual size of the phone.. I've been avoiding phones that are over 60-62mm wide just because I like to use my phones one handed in a comfortable manner.. but I really like the 920s design and I want to try Win8 so..
    Quote Originally Posted by Calot View Post
    Even his majesty Beckham looks like a ****** talking on a Note.

And I highly doubt you look like that

So...
    To be fair Beckham always looks like a ******.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast