Both The Verge and CNET seem to think the Lumia 920 is too bulky

fishytank

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I was browsing around youtube for lumia 920 sample videos today. This is what I found. Might've been posted earlier on here. It's just hilarious.

are these turds complaining about the nokia lumia 920 weight in reviews even REAL men??? - YouTube

This is exactly how I imagine your typical troll would look like. A thug in real life and in cyberspace. Either this, or a fat kid with glasses in their parent's basement who is afraid of the sun. Either case, social misfits. I had to hug my teddy bear as this angry guy from the hood screams at me with profanity and insults. Apparently he is angry enough to make a threatening video aimed toward people criticizing the lumia 920. It's almost like people were calling his girlfriend fat or something. Then he goes on to list pretty much all the popular review sites and how they are not real men and blah blah hackneyed machismo stuff blah blah.

Most reviews did not dock points for the weight and size, but made good mention of it since frankly it is a significant departure from other phones. It was not the linchpin in the review process nor the ultimate deciding factor. Trolls don't listen to reason though, so they will get angry at the slightest bit of criticism, and run with it, as if it was a matter of life and death. Otherwise, the rest of the phone was well reviewed, but some people are just obsessed.

How many people are as angry about the weight complaints as this guy? Can you achieve the same terrifyingly insane laugh? Heheehehehe!

Is he for real? I cant stop laughing. The nokia is heavy for a modern smartphone, yes. But i'm still getting one, coming from a iphone and case its about tha same, and the nokia isn't getting a case. It's built to be without, the iphone isn't (unless you can afford to buy a new one every 6 months when you drop it).

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
CNET in its review went so far as to say that you can't put it in your jeans front pocket comfortably. What are the other reviews saying about the size and the weight of this phone?

Picked mine up today. And yeah, I've gotta say: it's too darn heavy. Uncomfortably so.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I use one of the heaviest phones on the market.. its 170 grams without a case, and I have no issues with it.

For some people.. it might be a problem, but that depends on a lot of things. I would take the weight if I know that its there for a reason, and it brings something useful to the end user.

If video stabilization, wireless charging, great built quality, and an amazing screen are not essentials you care about, and you won't take advantage of them, then.. ya, there are smaller/lighter alternatives out there that don't offer those things in one package.

What concerns me more is the actual size of the phone.. I've been avoiding phones that are over 60-62mm wide just because I like to use my phones one handed in a comfortable manner.. but I really like the 920s design and I want to try Win8 so..

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Did it arrive by mail?

If not, did you try it at the store? What made you decide to purchase it even though it was uncomfortable?

They arrived today at Vodafone in Germany and weren't on display. I had pre-ordered it - so it was take it or leave it for me. No, I couldn't try it out beforehand.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
If video stabilization, wireless charging, great built quality, and an amazing screen are not essentials you care about, and you won't take advantage of them, then.. ya, there are smaller/lighter alternatives out there that don't offer those things in one package.

The problem is that my wife has an HTC 8x. The phone sports the same excellent build quality, a very good camera (the Lumia's is amazing in low light, I just tried that out over the last half hour - but it's surprisingly sucky in good light), a screen that's even brighter with almost the same size. All that in a feather-light package and at a much lower price-tag. It's just really hard to choose the Lumia when you have an 8x sitting next to it. Yes, the 920's a really gorgeous phone, but so is the HTC. I really can't see a lot of people going with the 920 when they can get practically the same phone weighing 55g less for 1/3 less money. Goodbye Nokia :-(

The Lumia's so heavy, I don't feel comfortable putting it in my car-mount - I'm scared it my rip it off the window and get destroyed.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The problem is that my wife has an HTC 8x. The phone sports the same excellent build quality, a very good camera (the Lumia's is amazing in low light, I just tried that out over the last half hour - but it's surprisingly sucky in good light), a screen that's even brighter with almost the same size. All that in a feather-light package and at a much lower price-tag. It's just really hard to choose the Lumia when you have an 8x sitting next to it. Yes, the 920's a really gorgeous phone, but so is the HTC. I really can't see a lot of people going with the 920 when they can get practically the same phone weighing 55g less for 1/3 less money. Goodbye Nokia :-(

The Lumia's so heavy, I don't feel comfortable putting it in my car-mount - I'm scared it my rip it off the window and get destroyed.

tomtoms and garmins tend to stay attached to their window mounts pretty easily.

But Im pretty sure the Lumia 920 weighs way more than those things.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I was surprised at how NOT heavy the 920 felt when I lifted it from its box this afternoon. It's roughly 50 grams heavier than my Galaxy Nexus, but doesn't really feel like it in the hand. In the pocket is another story, but I've had a hard time putting it down ever since I got it.

It's a really solid feeling phone, and the weight feels about right and more of a mark of quality than a strike against it. But again, that's in the hand. In the pocket it feels like a curved price of smoothed granite, but perhaps a bit lighter.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. I kept trying to see how reviewers thought it was heavy. It feels great in the hand. Gonna have to be a phone that u put in ur back pocket though.
I was surprised at how NOT heavy the 920 felt when I lifted it from its box this afternoon. It's roughly 50 grams heavier than my Galaxy Nexus, but doesn't really feel like it in the hand. In the pocket is another story, but I've had a hard time putting it down ever since I got it.

It's a really solid feeling phone, and the weight feels about right and more of a mark of quality than a strike against it. But again, that's in the hand. In the pocket it feels like a curved price of smoothed granite, but perhaps a bit lighter.

CaymanDreamin

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Without a case, my 920 is the same size, maybe a little thinner, than my Focus S with its case. My case is just a simple one that goes on the back and then wraps around to protect the screen. After hearing everyone talk about how durable the 920 is, I thought I could just use it without a case and therefore not add any bulk (only a little weight) to what I am used to. Well, less than 12 hours after getting my shiny new white 920, it dropped onto a tile floor and shattered the screen. That's why I'm typing this back on my Focus. As beautiful as the phone is, if you want to avoid paying an insurance claim, get a case. Unfortunately, I think that might be what pushes the bulk over the limit for me.

B T C

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
After everything I've read, I was expecting the phone to be heavier. It's a non-issue for me, and I'm really very surprised that it's become such a big deal. A friend of mine has an IPhone 4, and picking them up individually, the IPhone seems just as heavy. If you hold one in each hand, you can tell that the 920 is heavier, but it's not a dramatic difference, in my opinion.

My buddy, who has lots of Apple stuff, liked the 920 quite a bit. He was impressed by how smoothly the display scrolled, and in reference to the OS & Interface said he was surprised that Microsoft could put something out that was so nice. My initial impressions have been positive, but this is my first smartphone, and I haven't really had a chance to use it that much.

I preferred the look and feel of the 920 compared to the 8X. They had the new Galaxy Note 2 in the store, and that thing seemed too big to hold comfortably with one hand.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Without a case, my 920 is the same size, maybe a little thinner, than my Focus S with its case. My case is just a simple one that goes on the back and then wraps around to protect the screen. After hearing everyone talk about how durable the 920 is, I thought I could just use it without a case and therefore not add any bulk (only a little weight) to what I am used to. Well, less than 12 hours after getting my shiny new white 920, it dropped onto a tile floor and shattered the screen. That's why I'm typing this back on my Focus. As beautiful as the phone is, if you want to avoid paying an insurance claim, get a case. Unfortunately, I think that might be what pushes the bulk over the limit for me.

Sorry to hear that. Pretty much any phone, if hit at just the right angle, will have the screen shatter.

My wife just got her red 920. That thing feels solid. But I've pondered getting a bumper (not full case) for her just because there's always that chance it falls on a hard surface at that bad angle.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Honestly the size is much bigger looking than other smartphones. I'm gonna go see it in person tomorrow, but if the lumia 900 is any indication, it actually looks even thicker. The "smile" gets even thicker in the middle. I owned a galaxy note, which is about 7g lighter. It was usable sure, and I had no problems holding it, but going from that back to a normal size phone that's 50g lighter still makes a big difference. Just because you have no problem with it, doesn't mean it couldn't be much better. I'm sure we wouldn't be having this conversation if the lumia 920 was 140g. No one would be complaining about the lack of weight. That's why this whole argument just sounds overly defensive. It's not that people should deal with the weight, it's people who don't care about the weight that should deal with the people who do, because frankly they are the majority. If Nokia or its fanbase wants to continue playing this game, they need to loosen up and take the criticism and change a little. Posting angry youtube videos is just offputting.

And yes I got tired of waiting for the lumia 920 and got a galaxy s iii (samsung ******! whine whine). Frankly I was blown away by the screen. It was leagues ahead of the galaxy s ii, which was horrible since it turned to crap below 50% brightness and there were lines and artifacts and so much other crap. The note didn't look that great either. The screen on the s iii is more subdued, but has much better contrast and color at lower brightness, and best of all, it actually looks even and polished. The lumia 920 is probably going to be just like every other IPS screen. I didn't like the One X screen, since it exhibited the same low contrast and annoying uneven lighting and reflection. The s iii is just completely flat, literally.

Who knows. I might just sell the s iii and get the lumia 920 once I check it out. I do like the solid build quality of Nokias. The s iii is light and thin, but mine came with a deep scratch on the botto mright, and the stupid snap on back is uneven on one side. It's also not the most comfortable thing to hold, since there's frankly nothing to hold on to, and the seams make it worse. I can never take a picture without pushing a million buttons. But the screen is just so gorgeous. And it takes sharper daylight pictures and video. That's why I hate compromising.

Stopped reading when you said the 920 was thicker than the 900. Because it isn't.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo