Will wireless charging work with Lumia 920 if it has a protective case

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
My incredibly unscientific test...

Snap on case (from eBay) and a thick microfiber cloth folder in four between the charger and the phone still gets a charge. I didn't test it for an extended period of time, so I cannot comment if it's diminished or not. For something like an overnight charge I would not be worried. If you are needing the fastest charge possible, and don't want to plug in, I would go without a case.

My honest recommendation is to just try to get over the micro scratches. They really are minimal, and IMO, the case on the phone really takes away from the beauty. What's the point of a secy as **** phone if you cover it up?

TSilvan

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I have the lumia 920, The otterbox - and a random wireless charger from ebay.

It DOES NOT charge with the otterbox on, the distance is too great.

This shows, not only the receiver (the lumia) but also the sender (the charger-station) has to be built to a certain standard.

This is simple "induction" - and if the transmitter is too weak, well - then it is too weak to bridge the distance.

The otterbox has unnecessary thick material exactly on the spot where the coil and the camera lense is, this
means it is a matter of luck whether the charging will work, or no - probably the original wireless charger as sold by nokia
will do just fine (nokia usually goes with the better quality) - But if you buy some other QI charger .. you may not be so lucky.

best regards from finland
----
N8,N9,Lumia 920 ...to me, the iphone is dead since its birth, but then again.. i am a quick learner.

ttxzee

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I have the lumia 920, The otterbox - and a random wireless charger from ebay.

It DOES NOT charge with the otterbox on, the distance is too great.

This shows, not only the receiver (the lumia) but also the sender (the charger-station) has to be built to a certain standard.

This is simple "induction" - and if the transmitter is too weak, well - then it is too weak to bridge the distance.

The otterbox has unnecessary thick material exactly on the spot where the coil and the camera lense is, this
means it is a matter of luck whether the charging will work, or no - probably the original wireless charger as sold by nokia
will do just fine (nokia usually goes with the better quality) - But if you buy some other QI charger .. you may not be so lucky.

best regards from finland

it's probably due to your cheap charger isn't powerful enough. I can place a 1cm thick plastic piece between the phone and the stand and wireless charging still works. Qi standards states wireless charging will work up to 15mm. and a few month back they actually increased it to 40mm

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb