Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mcheiron
  • 1 Post By rlatarche

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Does anybody know if the US version of the Nokia Lumia 920 has Bluetooth 4.0 or 3.0? The Nokia USA page lists 3.0, but there was a news a while ago that the FCC passed an international version of the 920 with 4.0.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MCheiron View Post
    Does anybody know if the US version of the Nokia Lumia 920 has Bluetooth 4.0 or 3.0? The Nokia USA page lists 3.0, but there was a news a while ago that the FCC passed an international version of the 920 with 4.0.

Thanks
    Sure looks like 4.0 to me. Go to The Official Bluetooth SIG Member Website and search for Lumia 920.

As above, the Lumia 920 features Bluetooth v4.0.

Are there any BT 4.0 accessories (heart rate monitors etc) that actually work with the 920 (or any other WP8 devices) though?

Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    I don't think Any of those accessories have the supporting apps on wp store!

We have to wait for it.
    As always iOS gets them first.

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rajkumr View Post

We have to wait for it.
    If I remember correctly, there was no WP that supported BT 4.0, so why should anybody develops an app that wouldn't work with their accessories? I am still not sure about 4.0 since Nokia USA -still states it as 3.0.
    rimlover likes this.

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rajkumr View Post

We have to wait for it.
    If I remember correctly there was no WP with BT 4.0. why should anybody make an app that wouldn't be compatible with their accessories? Let's wait and see, but I am still skeptical, since Nokia still lists it as BT 3.0

Nokia Lumia 920 Specifications - Nokia - USA

It's really weird that nobody seems to know for sure if it has BT4.0 - sure it's apparently been certified, but it isn't listed on any of Nokia's official spec sheets, and I've seen no confirmation it's even supported by WP8. It really feels like nokia are mismanaging this release.

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Can any of the lucky 920 owners in the US check if the Bluetooth version is actually 3.0 or 4.0? Thanks a lot.

My assumption is that WP software only supports BT 3.0 for now, despite the BT 4.0 hardware in the device. That would mean it's future-proofed for when there is 4.0 support in WP.

I would be happy to be proved wrong - I'd love to see 4.0 supported in WP8.

Technically, Nokia can't say that the phone has Bluetooth 4.0. Although the hardware supports it, the software won't allow it. In a way, it's them trying to cover their butts in case people start complaining about false advertisement on 4.0 support even though there really isn't any.

Global Posts
    1,439 Global Posts
    If Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 share the same kernel shouldn't this be supported on WP8 since it is in Windows 8? So much for a unifying product...

Bluetooth Smart Devices | Bluetooth Technology Website
    ----
    My Device History circa 2007:

Nokia 1020 > Nokia 920 > Nokia 900 > HTC Titan > HP Pre 3 > HP Veer > Palm Pre 2 > HTC Evo > Palm Pre > iPhone 3G > iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    If Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 share the same kernel shouldn't this be supported on WP8 since it is in Windows 8? So much for a unifying product...

Bluetooth Smart Devices | Bluetooth Technology Website
    Bluetooth profiles supported by Windows Phone 8

WP8 supports 3.1, Lumia 920 supports upto v4 of bluetooth
    Jaripi likes this.

Any news on WP8 software being upgraded to support Bluetooth 4.0?

The major differences between Bluetooth 3.X and 4 is pretty much the adoption of low energy profiles. Bluetooth 4 mainly focuses on energy usage and efficiency over the older version and in order to take advantage of the new low energy protocols you need to have Bluetooth 4.0 accessories.

im hoping that wp8 gets bluetooth 4 support so that fitbit flex and other BT4 accessories can be used on the WP8 device.

Would be nice to get the low energy BT 4 in WP 8.X. Makes it easier to use devices and the battery life lasts longer.

Is there any update to use of Bluetooth 4.0 for lumia 920? I need to integrate a heart rate monitor with my app and was looking at the Polar H7 - and it needs 4.0 LE. I know that the 920 hardware is certified, my understanding is that we are on an update to WP8. On the Nokia site it is implied that this is being worked on, anybody heard about a way to be a beta tester for this; I'd like to get started ASAP rather that wait for RTM.

Accounts seem to indicate that L920 hardware can support 4.0, but WP8 at this time does not. Hopefully with a future software update software support can be added, as the hardware is already there.