Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I'm really not getting what all the fuss is about here... I've seen this same argument with other device launches as well (the most recent being the launch of the Nexus 7 comes to mind - which was botched in many other ways.. :P)

First - Microsoft is not releasing the hardware - they're simply releasing the software. That being said - what little, scarce, and relevant information related to launch of hardware is outlined from the press release:

Pricing and Availability

Major mobile operators in the United States will start selling Windows Phone 8 in the coming weeks:

• Microsoft and Verizon Wireless have opened a new chapter in a long partnership. Verizon Wireless will carry the Windows Phone 8X by HTC for $199.99 with a two-year contract, and the Nokia Lumia 822, exclusive to Verizon, for $99.99 with a two-year contract. Both will be available by Thanksgiving. In addition the Samsung ATIV Odyssey, also exclusive to Verizon, will be available in December.

• AT&T will carry the Nokia Lumia 920, the Lumia 820 and the Windows Phone 8X by HTC, all going on sale in November. AT&T will have more to share on prices in the coming weeks.

• T-Mobile will carry the Windows Phone 8X by HTC starting at $149.99(6) for the 16GB version and the Nokia Lumia 810 from $99.99.(6) T-Mobile is expecting customers to be able to purchase these Windows Phones on Nov. 14.

Source: Microsoft Unveils Windows Phone 8

Companies, when posting these types of announcements, take extreme care to word them in a way that they can meet expectations. Every rumor, statement, conjecture, blurb, note, whisper, etc., is simply that - it's not an official statement or press release from the company involved.

With the information listed above - one can assume (and I'm willing to bet it will all happen.. :)) the following:

Verizon will release the devices listed above (with the pricing documented) by Thanksgiving, or earlier, depending on availability, etc.

T-Mobile will release their WP8 devices around 11/14... (actually just went by T-Mo today - rep there was extremely positive about the devices and said he expected them in on 11/16).

AT&T - unsurprisingly (if you've been with them for awhile - you've been through this before with other "release" dates) has the vaguest release statement. This is probably due to a lot of reasons - but primarily (IMHO) to remain extremely flexible and competitive. That being said I checked in - My local AT&T corporate store stated "mid-November" (which falls directly in line with the statement above), and my Best Buy rep, which I just double checked with today, stated the current launch date is scheduled for this Friday (11/9). There IS no official statement from AT&T regarding either a pre-order or a finalized/official launch date. Mind you - when AT&T finally does release that information - you can bet that they will have everything in place at their local stores, etc., in order to meet the expected demand.

All said and done - If ATT releases this week/weekend - I'll be extremely happy. If they release between 11/9 through 11/20. I'll still be happy (as they've met their "official" statement via the Microsoft press release). Any delay past the 20th - there's some cause for concern there (which I doubt will occur - the true target date, from a business and sales perspective for all of these devices are really mid-late November (Thanksgiving week) through the end of the year).

Also - all of you who canceled your BB pre-orders - why? you didn't need to... :) Basically - if you don't pickup the phone - you keep your $50 gift card. I'm keeping mine and also either pre-ordering from AT&T or will attempt to pick up directly from AT&T if they are truly giving away free wireless charging adapters with a purchase on launch day..

Good luck and be patient!!!!
    Last edited by jsgiv; 11-04-2012 at 05:28 PM.

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by firewall2302 View Post
    Can I be mad at them for telling me at a launch of a device that it's the next phone I should get and now, 2 months later, I still don't know WHEN I can get that new device? :D
    I feel you. Move to Europe :P

Quote Originally Posted by zolgi View Post
    I feel you. Move to Europe :P
    Believe me, there are days where that doesn't seem like such a bad idea.

Though, from watching the UK version of Top Gear I don't think I'd like their government and the only language from Continental Europe that I even vaguely know is German...

Global Posts
    4,476 Global Posts
    Just a reminder...the HTC 9X doesn't have a launch or pre-order date on Verizon and AT^T either.

The WP8 launch in the US is one big beta.

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roboMonkey View Post
    I have a bad feeling about the phone now. If they were running ads showing off the phone and building hype I'd understand, but they are not.

The only people who know about this phone are us geeks. Something must be wrong. Think I'll let you guys beta test it for me. I'll just stick to my L900 until Dec 13th.
    I've seen the AT&T ad with the 920 shooting the highschool football like 20 times this weekend. Then again I watch a lot of football.

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lostdaynight View Post
    Just a reminder...the HTC 9X doesn't have a launch or pre-order date on Verizon and AT^T either.
    You're absolutely right - there's no such device as the HTC "9X".. :)

As noted above (and conveniently quoted below again from the Microsoft press release ;)):

Verizon Wireless will carry the Windows Phone 8X by HTC for $199.99 with a two-year contract, and the Nokia Lumia 822, exclusive to Verizon, for $99.99 with a two-year contract. Both will be available by Thanksgiving.

That's an actual commitment (release date) being disclosed and published to the public between Microsoft, HTC, Nokia, and Verizon. There's no way that Microsoft would have let that statement be released to the public without Verizon's authorization that it would meet the requirement to release the devices (HTC 8X and Nokia Lumia 822) stated in the press release statement on (or before) 11/22/2012 (Thanksgiving).
    Last edited by jsgiv; 11-04-2012 at 05:29 PM.
    aubreyq likes this.

Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    im still tryna wait for a release date for all devices. i think we will have that sometime this week. once these devices are released and we have them all will be forgotten. i just think a lot of people are overly anxoous

After Tuesday, I may not even care about phones for a week or so.

Halo 4 will take care of me.

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post

Forward unto dawn. Axios!

Quote Originally Posted by Winterfang View Post
    They will be eaten alive by its investors.
    Now you're making predictions in the financial market. You really do know everything.:P
    Ebaneeezor likes this.

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    Now you're making predictions in the financial market. You really do know everything.:P
    I'm pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by vagrantwade View Post
    Forward unto dawn. Axios!
    For a web mini-series that leads into a game, I have to say Forward Unto Dawn was actually pretty good. Seeing them do a live-action Master Chief was a small glimpse of how cool a real movie would have been.

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by firewall2302 View Post
    For a web mini-series that leads into a game, I have to say Forward Unto Dawn was actually pretty good. Seeing them do a live-action Master Chief was a small glimpse of how cool a real movie would have been.
    Seeing helmetless Kelly and Fred was pretty awesome as well.

Quote Originally Posted by pvcleave View Post
    I am anxious to get the phone. I am very curious why AT&T is holding up the phone. I am sure there is some business reason. It would be interesting to know why they are waiting. Maybe they are wait for sufficient quantities.
    That's my thought as well. From what I've seen, the retailers in Canada got how many- 40? One could ask why Nokia even bothered.

Lack of any concrete information is causing all sorts of rampant speculation- this thread and others are perfect examples.

Have to say while I am anxiously awaiting this phone, and liking my iPhone less each day, I am (thus far) managing to curb my frustration. Someone made an excellent point earlier- it's just a phone. It will come when it's time.

That said, some of these posts have provided great entertainment in the interim. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by vagrantwade View Post
    Seeing helmetless Kelly and Fred was pretty awesome as well.
    "How old are you guys anyway?"

"That's classified."

Loved it.

Global Posts
    521 Global Posts

**** yeah!!!! :D Damn, do I love me some Halo!

Global Posts
    351 Global Posts

Yes, some Halo 4 should take some of the edge off quite nicely :)

It's November 5th now! :P

Global Posts
    425 Global Posts
    Well they have until the Galaxy Note 2 is ready for retail purchase. If I don't have a release date by then... Oh well.

any chance they want to announce it after Election day?:)

Global Posts
    1,441 Global Posts
    Just talked to one of my sources and finally confirmed the release date for the 920. It was like pulling teeth getting this info.

The 920 will release same time the Courier hardware developed by MS is releasing, so hopefully soon.

Grain of salt advised.
    aubreyq likes this.

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkp23 View Post
    Just talked to one of my sources and finally confirmed the release date for the 920. It was like pulling teeth getting this info.

The 920 will release same time the Courier hardware developed by MS is releasing, so hopefully soon.

Grain of salt advised.
    So um whats the date? lol

Global Posts
    521 Global Posts

Grain of salt advised.
    What is the Courier Hardware?

Edit:? Nevermind... lol

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts

Grain of salt advised.
    The Courier was killed ages ago.

My awesome ATT Salesperson just let me know I can preorder!!!

According to her:

"The system states pre-order before 11/8 at 3pm to receive by 11/9."

WOOO HOOO!!!!!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast