Best Buy Pre Ordered Cancelled?

furuta

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes

Just got the same thing.

I received an email about 1 hour ago stating that my order had been cancelled. Just called BestBuy and the agent told me that my order was backordered and "auto-cancelled." It seems that this may be an automatic system within BestBuy that cancels an order if it is back-ordered for too long (which in and of itself doesn't make any sense to me). The agent said that regular orders can sit in "backordered status" for a month or more, but this may be shorter for pre-orders. I asked him to attempt to re-order the phone for me on his end (since the phone is off of Best-Buy's site) and he said that the system wouldn't let him. He started a case with the "cancellation department" who would then get back to me by email within 72 hours.

If anybody pre-ordered a Lumia 920 from BestBuy on 10/21 when I did, go to their site and check your status now, or check your email for a status update and call into BestBuy and complain.

This is the most ridiculous roll out/release I have ever been a part of.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Just got the same thing.

I received an email about 1 hour ago stating that my order had been cancelled. Just called BestBuy and the agent told me that my order was backordered and "auto-cancelled." It seems that this may be an automatic system within BestBuy that cancels an order if it is back-ordered for too long (which in and of itself doesn't make any sense to me). The agent said that regular orders can sit in "backordered status" for a month or more, but this may be shorter for pre-orders. I asked him to attempt to re-order the phone for me on his end (since the phone is off of Best-Buy's site) and he said that the system wouldn't let him. He started a case with the "cancellation department" who would then get back to me by email within 72 hours.

If anybody pre-ordered a Lumia 920 from BestBuy on 10/21 when I did, go to their site and check your status now, or check your email for a status update and call into BestBuy and complain.

This is the most ridiculous roll out/release I have ever been a part of.

Well Best Buy opened preorders by accident. So not really that surprising.

Last edited:

ratchetjaw#AC

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Yes it is surprising to me as my card was held twice for the amount even after the pre orders. Its the same crap from BB. I said initally i had been screwed by them on pre orders in the past, but i gave in. NEVER again will i pre order with them. I am actually losing my enthusiasm anyway. Will get the phone still for sure but the excitement of wanting to be first has left

jkc0170

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Yeah...same here. They've "renewed" the authorization on my account multiple times. Mine hasn't been cancelled yet, but if they do, you can bet I'll be going directly over to ATT when they open their (pre-)orders up.

firewall2302

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I just checked and mine also shows that it's still an open order (but is in backorder status).

As stated, if they cancel my pre-order I'll just go over to AT&T the day they let me pre-order and get it through them.

Though I'd most certainly complain at Best Buy as well. I once complained about their video game selection and the fact that I didn't find someone in the game section at all. The store manager replied to the complaint with "sorry, but that's how it is." Their corporate office also replied by apologizing and giving me some free rewards certificates. It helps that through circumstances I've been a Rewards Silver member with them for a while due to how purchases fell (including getting friends to put their points on my card). It gets me early access to things like their black friday deals so I can't complain about that.

The cancellations sound to me like they're starting to have a better idea of their expected quantity and are realizing they can't fulfill everyone for a while.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I just checked and mine also shows that it's still an open order (but is in backorder status).

As stated, if they cancel my pre-order I'll just go over to AT&T the day they let me pre-order and get it through them.

Though I'd most certainly complain at Best Buy as well. I once complained about their video game selection and the fact that I didn't find someone in the game section at all. The store manager replied to the complaint with "sorry, but that's how it is." Their corporate office also replied by apologizing and giving me some free rewards certificates. It helps that through circumstances I've been a Rewards Silver member with them for a while due to how purchases fell (including getting friends to put their points on my card). It gets me early access to things like their black friday deals so I can't complain about that.

The cancellations sound to me like they're starting to have a better idea of their expected quantity and are realizing they can't fulfill everyone for a while.

Nah, they just 100% opened preorders when they weren't suppose to.

jsgiv

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site

I actually went to the local store and pre-ordered. Have a gift card in-hand ($50 to be used for purchasing the phone, etc.) along with the receipt, etc.

Haven't received anything else other than the original email notification that my pre-order is in the system and that I'll be notified when it's ready for pick-up at the store.

In either case - I'll be going to either AT&T or BB based on who has the device available for purchase first. If AT&T has it launch day (11/9 per BB today) with the free wireless charging station, I'll be getting it from there (and seeing if I can just get my money back on the gift card - otherwise I'll just use the gift card for something else - maybe a new wireless mouse or other gizmo, etc.). Otherwise - if BB calls me up sometime this week - I'll be heading there directly to pick it up. :cool:

jkc0170

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, it would be interesting to know when everyone, especially those that have had their orders cancelled, originally placed their pre-order. I placed mine mid-day on the 22nd, EST.

EDIT - Mine pre-order was done online. I'm guessing those are the ones that are getting cancelled as they are the ones that have some sort of "email trail".

Last edited:

firewall2302

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Nah, they just 100% opened preorders when they weren't suppose to.

Yeah, I completely agree with you on that point, but I don't know if that's why they're canceling them. To me, if that was why they were doing it wouldn't they cancel everyone's instead of just some?

At least, I hope that it's just a case that they aren't canceling mine. I'd hate to get an email in a few hours saying that they knocked mine off too.

On a similar note, did you receive anything about your order through the BBY eBay mobile solutions site being canceled?

jkc0170

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Also, I guess we should mention "what" we pre-ordered. Mine was for a Red one - upgrade on an existing plan.

This way, we can maybe determine if it's a "supply" issue of a certain color, or a more general issue like they shouldn't have opened the pre-order in the first place.

wiscamper

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Also, I guess we should mention "what" we pre-ordered. Mine was for a Red one - upgrade on an existing plan.

This way, we can maybe determine if it's a "supply" issue of a certain color, or a more general issue like they shouldn't have opened the pre-order in the first place.
I ordered mine late 10/21 (using one of the hidden links posted here). Ordered Black as an upgrade. Still have the temporary hold of $165.48. No email from Best Buy. Still shows backordered 1-2 weeks.

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
no change

my preorder for a red 920 is still in status "backorder". I added a new line when I ordered. No upgrade. Maybe having entered a new contract saved the order from being canceled?

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
I canceled mine from BB earlier this week because I think that they won't get any stock just look in their forums on the iPhone 5 debacle they have.

ratchetjaw#AC

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
I ordered early on the 21st before it was taken down. A white one. After my GS3 debacle i knew better, but shame on me and did it anyway. They wont ever get me again

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3