Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Global Posts
    2,515 Global Posts
    I just spent 15 mins talking to a smoking hot Nokia rep about my dilemma and I still cant decide! She said she had the same issue but with red and white.

I love red as a color and the 920 red is amazing too! I despise black phones cos everyone has a black phone. Now, if it wasnt for the glossyness, this would be a nobrainer.

The black one with the matte finish feels so much better in hand, doesnt absorb as much fingerprint smudge and seems more resistant against micro scratches.

How a device feels is really important, but so are the looks. I feel like Im gonna regret not getting the other whichever I pick.

Also got hands on with the sexy thing... only on the phone, though :D

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    It depends what you want.

If you want an original, sporty and aggressive color - red it is...

If you want a standard color, which 90% of all phones have - black it is.
    Black has an advantage of being not so eye catching and better hides dirt and scratches probably.

I went for yellow - bright, positive, sunny :)

Global Posts
    2,515 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by un hombre View Post
    It depends what you want.

If you want an original, sporty and aggressive color - red it is...

If you want a standard color, which 90% of all phones have - black it is.
    Black has an advantage of being not so eye catching and better hides dirt and scratches probably.

I went for yellow - bright, positive, sunny :)
    I dont want black as a color, I only consider it cos the matte finish is so much nicer than the glossy finish in red. If both were either glossy or matte, I wouldnt even look at the black :D

So its mostly a looks vs. feel thing

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
    I dont want black as a color, I only consider it cos the matte finish is so much nicer than the glossy finish in red. If both were either glossy or matte, I wouldnt even look at the black :D

So its mostly a looks vs. feel thing
    I got the same problem, but I'm getting the red one. Black is just boring and I want to show my phone to people so that they can see that WP8 phones are really different. But it would be cooler if it was matte (although I dont like the red, matte 8X)

Take the red one with pride!

Global Posts
    2,515 Global Posts
    It could be that going glossy for red, yellow and white was a decision to get "better colors". Perhaps matte red (which for 8X seems to look more orange), yellow and white didnt work out that well.

Its just a huge difference in the feel when holding matte black and glossy red. i was set on red until i got hands on with both

Colour is such a pain. Its a long commitment to a single colour.

Its a pain the 920 doesn't have removable covers, and that the 820 is such a comprimise on screen.

I decided on red. I've always had black phones, and just recently, I noticed that I spend a stupid amount of time looking for my phone before I leave the house. You see, I have a lot of black/dark furniture, so it just "blends in" when I set my previous phones down. I figured with red, that was a lot less likely to happen.
    vp710 and metalchick719 like this.

I'm going red, no question. I'm sick of having a black phone. Feel is important, sure, but either way it's going to feel like a premium device. And red is going to make me smile every time I take it out to look at it.
    metalchick719 likes this.

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Sooo black is the only colour with a matte cover? Damn

Global Posts
    2,515 Global Posts
    Cyan are grey are too, but they are not available here and generally speaking in fairly limited markets at launch.

Wouldnt want either cyan or grey, though.

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Cyan are grey are too, but they are not available here and generally speaking in fairly limited markets at launch.

Wouldn't want either cyan or grey, though.
    The only thing that keeps me attached to the black is the ability to blend most of the colours IN the phone + the matte finish
    vp710 likes this.

My opinion is that it is important that we show everybody that this is a different phone - with different color options. People is going to look and wonder what that phone is. That is why I choose a yellow over white or black. In your case I would of course recommend the red!
    robinleck likes this.
    I just spent 15 mins talking to a smoking hot Nokia rep about my dilemma and I still cant decide! She said she had the same issue but with red and white.

I love red as a color and the 920 red is amazing too! I despise black phones cos everyone has a black phone. Now, if it wasnt for the glossyness, this would be a nobrainer.

The black one with the matte finish feels so much better in hand, doesnt absorb as much fingerprint smudge and seems more resistant against micro scratches.

How a device feels is really important, but so are the looks. I feel like Im gonna regret not getting the other whichever I pick.

Also got hands on with the sexy thing... only on the phone, though :D
    I thought you were set to go with the red? :P

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    Did you get her number?

Global Posts
    1,619 Global Posts
    I've been going back and forth between yellow and white quite a bit. I have a black 900 now, and to be honest I'm not crazy about how the matte finish weathers certain things. It seems to get more greasy and marred than my old white one did.

My concerns with yellow (and red) are the tile color choices, and the worry that the bright color would just get old after awhile. I was also worried about the perception of a grown business man carrying a yellow phone, but I've gotten over that. I'm pretty set on yellow right now, but ask me tomorrow and it'll probably be white...

Global Posts
    2,515 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by metalchick719 View Post
    I thought you were set to go with the red? :P
    I was until I got to hold both in my hand. The matte finish just feels so much nicer in hand.

@Russell, my fiancee probably wouldnt have approved that :D

@jmerrey, I've also been thinking about the "public image of grown man", but I dont really worry that, currently studying in university most of the times and the work I do at the side often involves teenagers, so I guess it makes me that much more hip/swag/yolo to have a red phone x) The matte finish does indeed look like it would sorta attract grease kinda stuff a bit more, but to my understanding it's different to the Lumia 900 black finish.

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    ... True she probably wouldn't lol

Global Posts
    629 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmerrey View Post
    I've been going back and forth between yellow and white quite a bit. I have a black 900 now, and to be honest I'm not crazy about how the matte finish weathers certain things. It seems to get more greasy and marred than my old white one did.

My concerns with yellow (and red) are the tile color choices, and the worry that the bright color would just get old after awhile. I was also worried about the perception of a grown business man carrying a yellow phone, but I've gotten over that. I'm pretty set on yellow right now, but ask me tomorrow and it'll probably be white...
    Can you explain what you mean by "weathers certain things"?

Also, has anyone who has had a matte phone ever had problems with the finish wearing off after awhile? That's my only concern with getting matte black or grey.

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    I wish the Grey 920 was coming to the States... Alas it is an international only color which leaves me with the choices of Cyan & Black because I want a matte finish not the shiny finish which is a finger print magnet. I'm already OCD enough about the glass back on my 4S.

I will likely go Cyan for my Lumia.

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    I wish the Grey 920 was coming to the States... Alas it is an international only color which leaves me with the choices of Cyan & Black because I want a matte finish not the shiny finish which is a finger print magnet. I'm already OCD enough about the glass back on my 4S.

I will likely go Cyan for my Lumia.

Global Posts
    2,515 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorTripp View Post
    Can you explain what you mean by "weathers certain things"?

Also, has anyone who has had a matte phone ever had problems with the finish wearing off after awhile? That's my only concern with getting matte black or grey.
    I never have with my previous phones, but the matte on the Lumia 920 isn't really the run of the mill black plastic finish.

I dont know how to describe it, the first word that comes into my mind is "graphite", even if that has like nothing at all to do with anything. It has a fairly similar finish than my Razer Imperator mouse on top.. It's like this.. non-sticky a bit rubber'ish finish. I really have no idea how to explain it, but it's really nice. The glossy plastic has it's very distinct feel as well and cant really match the feeling of the matte black at least for me.

But as a matte black this doesn't resemble any earlier phone I've used.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    629 Global Posts
    I never have with my previous phones, but the matte on the Lumia 920 isn't really the run of the mill black plastic finish.

I dont know how to describe it, the first word that comes into my mind is "graphite", even if that has like nothing at all to do with anything. It has a fairly similar finish than my Razer Imperator mouse on top.. It's like this.. non-sticky a bit rubber'ish finish. I really have no idea how to explain it, but it's really nice. The glossy plastic has it's very distinct feel as well and cant really match the feeling of the matte black at least for me.

But as a matte black this doesn't resemble any earlier phone I've used.
    It does sound nice, I was just concerned somewhat that the finish on the edges of the phone might smooth out after repeated use.

So sick of black, and it looks like grey won't immediately be available. For me the tough choice is between red, yellow, and cyan! Sigh... #FirstWorldProblems

Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Even though grey is for the international markets, I think it's not available in most countries.
    Even here in the UAE, only black, white, red & yellow are available for pre order! No grey color!

Global Posts
    2,515 Global Posts
    I guess I gotta go get hands on again tomorrow.. :D

It changes many times a day which one I prefer. Currently I'm leaning on black one again :P I'm sure it's gonna be red again soon :D
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast