I called 2 corporate stores and actually stopped by 4 stores on the way home (AT&T is big on the ATL.. :)) - 2 "Corporate" stores, 2 "Authorized Retailers".
First - in order to get information - you HAVE to get a rep to chat with you more than 5 minutes with the typical "I'm not sure" - if you get them on the phone, be cordial and chat with them and get them to "help" you. Same with going to the stores...
Second - Some of the reps (earlier in the day) didn't know any details, however, when asked to please look it up in the system, sure enough, they confirmed the details (listed below), etc. The remaining reps, when you spend the time to actually discuss/chat with them and press them a bit that you want to know further details, actually will stop what they're doing and look up the details or ask their manager, who will also look up the details, and confirm for you...
That being said - the details:
- ALL of the stores confirmed (once they looked it up in the system) that the current launch date is this Friday, 11/9.
- SOME of the stores actually have displays in the back, ready to setup and have had training. Other stores have not (and it was mixed here - i.e. 1 corporate store had everything ready - the other one I visited was a bit surprised that it was being launched as they had heard "nothing" - but sure enough - when she looked it up on their computer - the promotional info/material/details were there (more on that below).
- NONE of the stores were taking pre-orders - but again, were (generally) firm in their stance that they expected it to be released 11/9. Some of the stores indicated that they may possibly open up pre-orders on Thursday but they all also indicated that they typically "don't do pre-orders for any phone other than the iPhone".
- Regarding the promo details (the most interesting part ):
4 of the 6 stores confirmed the following based on the promo (one store rep actually showed me the promo - but wouldn't let me take a picture ... I don't know why.. ;)):
- Price $99.99 with 2-year Contract
- Comes with a free BLACK "charging plate"
- Colors available are: Matte Black & Cyan, Glossy Red, Yellow, and White
- Not all colors are guaranteed at launch, nor will the stores know which colors they will receive. Reps stated Black would be probably the most commonly available at initial launch.
- Promo dates are from 11/9/2012 through 1/10/2013
The remaining 2 stores, BTW, all but confirmed the $99.99 price - they just didn't want to quote something until they had more details from their manager (which wasn't there in the store). :P
Of course - NONE of this is official as AT&T hasn't publicly released details yet. Either way - I'll be calling and/or stopping by my main local AT&T store Thursday afternoon/evening to verify if the phone is definitely available Friday and (hopefully) I can pre-order it..