Lumia crashed: Display stays dark, but I can't switch the device off, either!

TexZenFool

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I am so extremely disappointed.

Finally convinced my wife to dump her Blackberry and get a Windows phone. I did tell her to wait and not be an early adopter but she picked up a beautiful red Lumia 920 at the AT&T store for $99.99 plus a 2 year contract renewal that was going to happen anyway.

Lot's of fun for the first 3 days. Then on day 4 it started hanging. Once for several hours until we learned about the "down volume + power button" reset. That worked once, but then not long after that it hung again. Nothing would un-hang it that time. At 8pm last night she headed to the nearest AT&T store that was open until 9pm. Best they could do was give her a black 920 as a replacement. She liked the red but really liked the phones usability and features best so she took the black one.

The replacement has already hung at least 7 times this morning. She's not doing anything out of the ordinary, just trying to download some podcasts that she likes to listen to in the car. She's taking it to the AT&T store again today in hopes that this time it is more of a hardware problem with the replacement phone they gave her.

I've had my Samsung Focus 2 for almost a year now and never had a problem like this. Seems like WP8 was released half-baked. I've been looking forward to getting my own upgrade but now I'm not so sure.

fancyabrew

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi!

I bought my Lumia 920 today and was very happy with it - until now!

I wanted to switch on the device from standby. The lock screen shows up, but without any text or icons on it (just the background) and the backlight was dimmed like it is shortly before the device goes to standby. Then the display went off and I wasn't able to switch it on again.

Then I tried to switch off the device completely (not only standby) by holding the power button for about 10 sec. Nothing happend. The device was still in standby which I could confirm by connecting it to my PC, where I could access the device's data.

I removed the SIM card to provoke some reaction, but that didn't work.

Does anyone have an idea how I can get my Lumia back to life?

Thanks in advance,
bye,
Christian

had the exact same issue. The phone still on (you can browse it when connected to your PC) but the screen is black and you can't do anything . Phone crashed last night it was just sitting on a table I wasn't even using it. Thanks for the volume down power button tip as I was just about to take it back today, I only got it yesterday. I can count the time my old HTC Mozart win7 phone crashed on one hand in 2 years!

Last edited:

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Had the exact same problem as the OP on my 8X today.

Lock screen was just HTC Weather, with no other text or icons.

Then the screen dimmed to black, and wouldn't wake up again without a forced reboot.

My HTC Radar WP7.5 has never crashed... EVER. And i've had it for over a year now.

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
My 820 crashes when I use my Bluetooth every time. I hope nokia get the kinks out of these devices soon!

Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3