Lumia crashed: Display stays dark, but I can't switch the device off, either!

anon(5348929)

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi!

I bought my Lumia 920 today and was very happy with it - until now!

I wanted to switch on the device from standby. The lock screen shows up, but without any text or icons on it (just the background) and the backlight was dimmed like it is shortly before the device goes to standby. Then the display went off and I wasn't able to switch it on again.

Then I tried to switch off the device completely (not only standby) by holding the power button for about 10 sec. Nothing happend. The device was still in standby which I could confirm by connecting it to my PC, where I could access the device's data.

I removed the SIM card to provoke some reaction, but that didn't work.

Does anyone have an idea how I can get my Lumia back to life?

Thanks in advance,
bye,
Christian

anon(5348929)

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Ah, great, that worked. Thank you very much! You really saved my day!

It restarted the phone. Afterwards time and date were wrong, but perhaps that was because I forgot to put the SIM card back in ;-)

I hope that doesn't happen again, otherwise I want my money back.

Bye,
Christian

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Ah, great, that worked. Thank you very much! You really saved my day!

It restarted the phone. Afterwards time and date were wrong, but perhaps that was because I forgot to put the SIM card back in ;-)

I hope that doesn't happen again, otherwise I want my money back.

Bye,
Christian

Lemme know how stable your 920 is. Mine has crashed a few times already.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Mine is an official one from a "normal" phone store.

Thanks. Hmm with two people reporting this before the phone is even officially out here in the U.S., it bares watching. Please keep us updated on its performance. I've owned a Lumia 800 and 900 and neither ever crashed. Not even once.

gwip

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I've been having the same issues since I got mine yesterday. It's crashed twice now. The first time it eventually came up on it's own. It crashed after a game purchase when I first got into the games app. The second time I had to use the reset above and it crashed while browsing forums with the WPC app.

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Curious to see if the AT&T one crashes.

The 8X isn't too stable either. There are multiple reports of it rebooting on its own in the 8X section.

Hopefully an update can be pushed by MS quickly.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. Hmm with two people reporting this before the phone is even officially out here in the U.S., it bares watching. Please keep us updated on its performance. I've owned a Lumia 800 and 900 and neither ever crashed. Not even once.

There has been a lot of reports over at 8X forums as well. Could be something WP8 related.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
There has been a lot of reports over at 8X forums as well. Could be something WP8 related.

Yep. Sounds like it's definitely wp8 related. I really find this unacceptable. How does a problem like this get through? On the plus side, maybe the trolls will stop ripping the 8x for reboots.

fhumphrey04

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Yep. Sounds like it's definitely wp8 related. I really find this unacceptable. How does a problem like this get through? On the plus side, maybe the trolls will stop ripping the 8x for reboots.
Bad press for WP8 this early would be catastrophic.

If I have issues with mine, I'm more than willing to look at an alternative, but I'd rather just have a good experience and not have to deal with anything like this.

laforr77

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I've had two crashes in the four days I've had my 920 (AT&T). I don't want to bad mouth the device because I REALLY like the hardware but it's clear to me that Microsoft had to essentially rewrite WP again and it feels like a 1.0 release.

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I've had two crashes in the four days I've had my 920 (AT&T). I don't want to bad mouth the device because I REALLY like the hardware but it's clear to me that Microsoft had to essentially rewrite WP again and it feels like a 1.0 release.

Everyone should contact @NokiaCareUS on twitter and tell them about their issues. This could speed up the arrival of the next software update.

https://twitter.com/NokiaCareUS

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3