Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
Like Tree3Likes
  1. TUFKAPL's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    21 Posts
       #1  
    Hi!

    I bought my Lumia 920 today and was very happy with it - until now!

    I wanted to switch on the device from standby. The lock screen shows up, but without any text or icons on it (just the background) and the backlight was dimmed like it is shortly before the device goes to standby. Then the display went off and I wasn't able to switch it on again.

    Then I tried to switch off the device completely (not only standby) by holding the power button for about 10 sec. Nothing happend. The device was still in standby which I could confirm by connecting it to my PC, where I could access the device's data.

    I removed the SIM card to provoke some reaction, but that didn't work.


    Does anyone have an idea how I can get my Lumia back to life?

    Thanks in advance,
    bye,
    Christian
  2. KoukiFC3S's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,701 Global Posts
    #2  
    Try holding volume down + power for 10 seconds.
    Thanked by:
    Muessig likes this.
  3. Landsharkk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    280 Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    Try holding volume down + power for 10 seconds.
    What's the expected result? Reboot phone or is that a reset to factory defaults shortcut?
  4. KoukiFC3S's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,701 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Landsharkk View Post
    What's the expected result? Reboot phone or is that a reset to factory defaults shortcut?
    It just reboots the device.
    Landsharkk likes this.
  5. TUFKAPL's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    21 Posts
       #5  
    Ah, great, that worked. Thank you very much! You really saved my day!

    It restarted the phone. Afterwards time and date were wrong, but perhaps that was because I forgot to put the SIM card back in ;-)

    I hope that doesn't happen again, otherwise I want my money back.


    Bye,
    Christian
  6. Landsharkk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    280 Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    It just reboots the device.

    Cool thanks.
    KoukiFC3S likes this.
  7. KoukiFC3S's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,701 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by TUFKAPL View Post
    Ah, great, that worked. Thank you very much! You really saved my day!

    It restarted the phone. Afterwards time and date were wrong, but perhaps that was because I forgot to put the SIM card back in ;-)

    I hope that doesn't happen again, otherwise I want my money back.


    Bye,
    Christian
    Lemme know how stable your 920 is. Mine has crashed a few times already.
  8. Landsharkk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    280 Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    Lemme know how stable your 920 is. Mine has crashed a few times already.
    Is there anything repeatable? What has it been crashing on (specific app, general use, etc)?
  9. hasasimo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,472 Posts
    #9  
    Did you buy dev unlocked device? Or an official one from a store?

  10. TUFKAPL's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    21 Posts
       #10  
    Mine is an official one from a "normal" phone store.
  11. hasasimo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,472 Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by TUFKAPL View Post
    Mine is an official one from a "normal" phone store.
    Thanks. Hmm with two people reporting this before the phone is even officially out here in the U.S., it bares watching. Please keep us updated on its performance. I've owned a Lumia 800 and 900 and neither ever crashed. Not even once.

  12. gwip's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    11 Posts
    #12  
    I've been having the same issues since I got mine yesterday. It's crashed twice now. The first time it eventually came up on it's own. It crashed after a game purchase when I first got into the games app. The second time I had to use the reset above and it crashed while browsing forums with the WPC app.
  13. fhumphrey04's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    27 Posts
    #13  
    Uh oh, let's hope this isn't a wide-spread occurance. Something like this could kill the chances of this device being a success.
  14. KoukiFC3S's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,701 Global Posts
    #14  
    Curious to see if the AT&T one crashes.

    The 8X isn't too stable either. There are multiple reports of it rebooting on its own in the 8X section.

    Hopefully an update can be pushed by MS quickly.
  15. tissotti's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,107 Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by hasasimo View Post
    Thanks. Hmm with two people reporting this before the phone is even officially out here in the U.S., it bares watching. Please keep us updated on its performance. I've owned a Lumia 800 and 900 and neither ever crashed. Not even once.
    There has been a lot of reports over at 8X forums as well. Could be something WP8 related.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by tissotti View Post
    There has been a lot of reports over at 8X forums as well. Could be something WP8 related.
    Yep. Sounds like it's definitely wp8 related. I really find this unacceptable. How does a problem like this get through? On the plus side, maybe the trolls will stop ripping the 8x for reboots.
  17. fhumphrey04's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    27 Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by independentvolume View Post
    Yep. Sounds like it's definitely wp8 related. I really find this unacceptable. How does a problem like this get through? On the plus side, maybe the trolls will stop ripping the 8x for reboots.
    Bad press for WP8 this early would be catastrophic.

    If I have issues with mine, I'm more than willing to look at an alternative, but I'd rather just have a good experience and not have to deal with anything like this.
  18. laforr77's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    12 Posts
    #18  
    I've had two crashes in the four days I've had my 920 (AT&T). I don't want to bad mouth the device because I REALLY like the hardware but it's clear to me that Microsoft had to essentially rewrite WP again and it feels like a 1.0 release.
  19. KoukiFC3S's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,701 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by laforr77 View Post
    I've had two crashes in the four days I've had my 920 (AT&T). I don't want to bad mouth the device because I REALLY like the hardware but it's clear to me that Microsoft had to essentially rewrite WP again and it feels like a 1.0 release.
    Everyone should contact @NokiaCareUS on twitter and tell them about their issues. This could speed up the arrival of the next software update.

    https://twitter.com/NokiaCareUS
  20. laforr77's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    12 Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    Everyone should contact @NokiaCareUS on twitter and tell them about their issues. This could speed up the arrival of the next software update.

    https://twitter.com/NokiaCareUS
    Good deal. I told them and they told me to watch how many apps I was using and to turn off wifi and bluetooth. Cop out answer and just further cements my thoughts that the software was rushed.
  21. TexZenFool's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    #21  
    I am so extremely disappointed.

    Finally convinced my wife to dump her Blackberry and get a Windows phone. I did tell her to wait and not be an early adopter but she picked up a beautiful red Lumia 920 at the AT&T store for $99.99 plus a 2 year contract renewal that was going to happen anyway.

    Lot's of fun for the first 3 days. Then on day 4 it started hanging. Once for several hours until we learned about the "down volume + power button" reset. That worked once, but then not long after that it hung again. Nothing would un-hang it that time. At 8pm last night she headed to the nearest AT&T store that was open until 9pm. Best they could do was give her a black 920 as a replacement. She liked the red but really liked the phones usability and features best so she took the black one.

    The replacement has already hung at least 7 times this morning. She's not doing anything out of the ordinary, just trying to download some podcasts that she likes to listen to in the car. She's taking it to the AT&T store again today in hopes that this time it is more of a hardware problem with the replacement phone they gave her.

    I've had my Samsung Focus 2 for almost a year now and never had a problem like this. Seems like WP8 was released half-baked. I've been looking forward to getting my own upgrade but now I'm not so sure.
  22. fancyabrew's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    41 Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by TUFKAPL View Post
    Hi!

    I bought my Lumia 920 today and was very happy with it - until now!

    I wanted to switch on the device from standby. The lock screen shows up, but without any text or icons on it (just the background) and the backlight was dimmed like it is shortly before the device goes to standby. Then the display went off and I wasn't able to switch it on again.

    Then I tried to switch off the device completely (not only standby) by holding the power button for about 10 sec. Nothing happend. The device was still in standby which I could confirm by connecting it to my PC, where I could access the device's data.

    I removed the SIM card to provoke some reaction, but that didn't work.


    Does anyone have an idea how I can get my Lumia back to life?

    Thanks in advance,
    bye,
    Christian
    had the exact same issue. The phone still on (you can browse it when connected to your PC) but the screen is black and you can't do anything . Phone crashed last night it was just sitting on a table I wasn't even using it. Thanks for the volume down power button tip as I was just about to take it back today, I only got it yesterday. I can count the time my old HTC Mozart win7 phone crashed on one hand in 2 years!
    Last edited by fancyabrew; 11-15-2012 at 04:10 AM.
  23. fancyabrew's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    41 Posts
    #23  
    just had my second hang
  24. chancooluk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    115 Posts
    #24  
    Had the exact same problem as the OP on my 8X today.

    Lock screen was just HTC Weather, with no other text or icons.

    Then the screen dimmed to black, and wouldn't wake up again without a forced reboot.

    My HTC Radar WP7.5 has never crashed... EVER. And i've had it for over a year now.
  25. o4liberty's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    300 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,334 Global Posts
    #25  
    My 820 crashes when I use my Bluetooth every time. I hope nokia get the kinks out of these devices soon!

    Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions