Nokia Drive

TMavC5

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering anyone tested Nokia drive while doing something in between with the phone. Want to know if Nokia drive app continue to run in the back ground.

Thank you.

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Nokia Drive shows up under settings, background tasks. Does that confirm it can run in the background?

I will try it in an hour when I drive home.

danielPlummer

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Works fine on my L800, had it open, then switched to different apps a few times then just used the app switcher to go back and it was where I left it :)

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
It has been mentioned that this is a newly supported feature of WP8 (the ability for navigation apps to run in the background continuing to give directions while you do other things) and Nokia has said they rewrote Nokia Drive+ to take advantage of all of the new features of WP8. It was also confirmed by wpcentral here:
Nokia Drive+ Beta now available for Windows Phone 8 | Windows Phone Central

"Multitasking

This one caught me by surprise in testing at my desk, I navigated to another app and while carrying out another task the directions continued to chime. That’s right folks, Nokia Drive on Windows Phone 8 now multitasks in the background. It will continue to give you directions, as long as you’re not in a call or using the voice dictation features. I have been out this morning to test this and can confirm it works as you’d expect."

Ebaneeezor

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Actually, thats not true on L900. Nokia Drive stop if you switch between APPS.

Maybe I am not understanding the OP, below is what I experience on my 900.

GPS with Nokia drive to my destination, I can press the home button, perform another task, press and hold my home button(windows key) and select Nokia Drive from my open applications list. I don't recall at the moment if it continues to give me voice commands while in another application, but it certainly maintains my current destination and GPS function when I re open the Nokia Drive application.

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I am not understanding the OP, below is what I experience on my 900.

GPS with Nokia drive to my destination, I can press the home button, perform another task, press and hold my home button(windows key) and select Nokia Drive from my open applications list. I don't recall at the moment if it continues to give me voice commands while in another application, but it certainly maintains my current destination and GPS function when I re open the Nokia Drive application.

I believe the original question is will it continue to run providing directions while you are in a different app. You are correct that it will keep your route on a 900 but it is suspended and will not continue to deliver directions until you go back to it. In WP8 it will continue to provide you directions while you are in another app so you do not miss anything.

Last edited:

Ebaneeezor

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I believe the original question is will it continue to run providing directions while you are in a different app. You are correct that it will keep your route on a 900 but it is suspended and will not continue to deliver directions until you go back to it. In WP8 it will continue to provide you directions while you are in another app so you do not miss anything.

lol, you must have caught my original post before I edited it - I didn't want to sound like a jerk, so I reworded it :) and after re reading the post, I agree, he was asking about the voice guidance while in another application....Thanks for clearing that up :)

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
lol, you must have caught my original post before I edited it - I didn't want to sound like a jerk, so I reworded it :) and after re reading the post, I agree, he was asking about the voice guidance while in another application....Thanks for clearing that up :)

Fixed the quote in my other post :)

TMavC5

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
It has been mentioned that this is a newly supported feature of WP8 (the ability for navigation apps to run in the background continuing to give directions while you do other things) and Nokia has said they rewrote Nokia Drive+ to take advantage of all of the new features of WP8. It was also confirmed by wpcentral here:
Nokia Drive+ Beta now available for Windows Phone 8 | Windows Phone Central

"Multitasking

This one caught me by surprise in testing at my desk, I navigated to another app and while carrying out another task the directions continued to chime. That’s right folks, Nokia Drive on Windows Phone 8 now multitasks in the background. It will continue to give you directions, as long as you’re not in a call or using the voice dictation features. I have been out this morning to test this and can confirm it works as you’d expect."
Awesome! Thanks guys for the confirmation...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte