920 Availability on Launch Day?

tronious

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Do any of you foresee issues with quantity available?

I have no desire to pre-order but I'm certainly interested in buying this phone.

I'm off Friday and was wondering what your thoughts were of places like BestBuy/AT&T store having these in stock?

I have no color preference.

Thanks

Odog4ever

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Do any of you foresee issues with quantity available?

I have no desire to pre-order but I'm certainly interested in buying this phone.

I'm off Friday and was wondering what your thoughts were of places like BestBuy/AT&T store having these in stock?

I have no color preference.

Thanks

First question is: Where do yo live and which store are you going to? I live a suburb about 20 mi south of Washington D.C. Went to my local AT&T store when WP first launched in 2010. That store only had 3 units total. Hopefully things have gotten better in the last 2 years but you are better of going to the store in the more heavily populated or affluent areas in which you live. Small stores that are under-performing probably won't be first in line to get a ton of devices.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I live near Redmond/Microsoft campus. There is the company store and an AT&T store on the main campus that usually sells stuff like this slightly ahead of time. I remember back when the Lumia 900 was released there was like an hour long wait to get the phone on campus (looong lines!).

Since I don't work at Microsoft anymore, I am going to try and pick up 2 Lumia 920's at the AT&T store in downtown Redmond. They are a great store (and very accustomed to dealing with tech savvy people which is nice).

I'm hoping the line to get in isn't too long.

tronious

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
First question is: Where do yo live and which store are you going to? I live a suburb about 20 mi south of Washington D.C. Went to my local AT&T store when WP first launched in 2010. That store only had 3 units total. Hopefully things have gotten better in the last 2 years but you are better of going to the store in the more heavily populated or affluent areas in which you live. Small stores that are under-performing probably won't be first in line to get a ton of devices.

Excellent point. I live in Pittsburgh... Your typical suburb with lots of Malls and Best Buys/Targets/AT&T store, etc...

I'm guessing that if I get up at 8, grab some breakfast and be there by 9 I shouldn't have any prob's.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to assume there's not going to be a line at my local AT&T store and take my chances. And if other outlets like Best Buy and Radio Shack have them, then I think I'll be OK.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm off from my job as pastor of All Saints, however I'll be in meetings all day for the Synod :(. Hopefully when I get home around 4ish there will be a nice package from FedEX waiting for me :)

prjkthack

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I live near Redmond/Microsoft campus. There is the company store and an AT&T store on the main campus that usually sells stuff like this slightly ahead of time. I remember back when the Lumia 900 was released there was like an hour long wait to get the phone on campus (looong lines!).

Since I don't work at Microsoft anymore, I am going to try and pick up 2 Lumia 920's at the AT&T store in downtown Redmond. They are a great store (and very accustomed to dealing with tech savvy people which is nice).

I'm hoping the line to get in isn't too long.

If you live near the Microsoft campus, then those stores definitely must cater to the crowd there and know that they gotta have Windows Phone devices on hand to sell.

Unfortunately, the landscape is very different elsewhere. We don't all have a Microsoft campus nearby.

I've found that with any Windows Phone launch, the AT&T stores either had no idea what device I was even talking about, or only got in 1 or 2 units with no idea when more would come.

If you can pre-order, DO IT. Call ahead and make sure they know what phone you want, what color, and your blood type.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
If you live near the Microsoft campus, then those stores definitely must cater to the crowd there and know that they gotta have Windows Phone devices on hand to sell.

Unfortunately, the landscape is very different elsewhere. We don't all have a Microsoft campus nearby.

I've found that with any Windows Phone launch, the AT&T stores either had no idea what device I was even talking about, or only got in 1 or 2 units with no idea when more would come.

If you can pre-order, DO IT. Call ahead and make sure they know what phone you want, what color, and your blood type.

I know exactly what you mean. Sadly, the only stores that have tech savvy salespeople and understand windows phones are the ones inside the city of Redmond. I can go to an AT&T store 10 miles in any direction away from Redmond/Microsoft and it's just like the rest of the country - pretty clueless (although usually friendly).

I do, however, expect the Redmond store to have plenty in stock on Friday. I only go to that store for all my AT&T purchases because they know what they are doing there. :)

prjkthack

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I know exactly what you mean. Sadly, the only stores that have tech savvy salespeople and understand windows phones are the ones inside the city of Redmond. I can go to an AT&T store 10 miles in any direction away from Redmond/Microsoft and it's just like the rest of the country - pretty clueless (although usually friendly).

I do, however, expect the Redmond store to have plenty in stock on Friday. I only go to that store for all my AT&T purchases because they know what they are doing there. :)

Lucky you. At least yours are friendly. XD

I typically can't stand going into an AT&T corporate store. Crazy busy stores, uninformed people. These big phone launches are the only reason I'd even set foot in one.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Lucky you. At least yours are friendly. XD

I typically can't stand going into an AT&T corporate store. Crazy busy stores, uninformed people. These big phone launches are the only reason I'd even set foot in one.

My Wife and I went into an AT&T store that was just down the road from us (not in Redmond) and they didn't even have -any- windows phones on display. We walked in, looked, walked out rather quickly.

dseiden

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I am hoping that the local ATT store has a few in stock for Friday. I would goto the Microsoft store but I am guessing that they can not deal with business accounts so will be at the ATT store when they open.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa