UK Lumia 920 pricing is crazy

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
The twitter feed is run by head office corporate comms its take on things is more definitive than the minimum wage staff in the call centres and shops.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
So let me get this straight - even though every single shop I've been to has told me I can get the Lumia 920 sim free and unlocked in store, I actually can't. Not only can I not get this phone unlocked, but it will be sim-locked to T-mobile or EE or Orange and the Phones4U shop has been instructed that if they unlocked my phone for me, either for free as i purchase it or at an extra cost, that would void any Phones4U warranty?

Am I able to use the PAYG sim I am likely to HAVE to activate and top up with ?10 just to get the phone to call T-Mobile or Orange and get them to unlock the phone for me or will they a) refuse for the same reasons above or b) unlock it at a premium but force me to void my warranty.

One last question: from what I hear about Phones4U they very rarely ever let anyone return a phone anyway, so does their warranty even count for anything?

If I purchase a 920 regardless of Phones4U will I still have a Nokia warranty and how long does that last for?

misterRafter

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Not entirely sure if you guys are right or not but i've ringing around to the local Leeds P4U shops and all of them have told me that the red + yellow will be unlocked sim free.

P4U shops in Leeds will be getting a delivery this morning and Saturday morning and i've been told by few of those shops that it's most likley the L920 will come on one of the two deliveries.

One of the phones4u shops has got the HTC 8X and L820

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Their twitter account is still saying the phones are locked to one of the EE networks. Maybe Yellow and Red are 'unlocked' in as far they can be used on T-Mobile, Orange and EE and the Black and White are fully locked to EE. So not really unlocked and they also will still have network branding.

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
So let me get this straight - even though every single shop I've been to has told me I can get the Lumia 920 sim free and unlocked in store, I actually can't. Not only can I not get this phone unlocked, but it will be sim-locked to T-mobile or EE or Orange and the Phones4U shop has been instructed that if they unlocked my phone for me, either for free as i purchase it or at an extra cost, that would void any Phones4U warranty?

Am I able to use the PAYG sim I am likely to HAVE to activate and top up with ?10 just to get the phone to call T-Mobile or Orange and get them to unlock the phone for me or will they a) refuse for the same reasons above or b) unlock it at a premium but force me to void my warranty.

One last question: from what I hear about Phones4U they very rarely ever let anyone return a phone anyway, so does their warranty even count for anything?

If I purchase a 920 regardless of Phones4U will I still have a Nokia warranty and how long does that last for?

Simply unlocking a phone should not void any warranty. They may simply be saying that to gear people towards an EE contract.

However, I have read that they probably won't be issuing any unlock codes util exclusivity ends.

There is lots of misinformation out there:(

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
The Orange an T Mobile prices are up - I gotta be honest, they really seem to be driving people towards ee. I think the prices are poor to say the least. Can Orange please consider removing those wretched swapables and cinema from their plans! Unnecessary and can only be increasing the cost for those that do not want it.

The T Mobile offerings on their Full Monty package has dire pricing. And the tethering business is undefendable. How on earth can they dictate how you use your data. If I had a FB or Twitter account I would be spamming the **** of them for that. Pretty cheeky.

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
It should be illegal to sell non-subsidised phones as locked to any network. If a customer pays the full price for their phone, it should be their choice what network they use.

Urban Splash

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the above. Which makes me suspect that they are not sim locked. Otherwise, they would not be offering to sell them sim free. I think it's a ploy to get people on contract. Yes, EE has exclusivity, but I believe this is for contracts only.

miltb120

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
re 920 sim locking etc

went into phones4u this morning to buy sim free 920 in black.took vodafone sim card which wasnt recognised! end of story! at present will only accept EE, orange or t mobile sims

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Great deal

Due for an orange upgrade for last 2 months and been following the 920 and 820 very closely. EE to me need to be NN (Nothing Nowhere) as the prices are beyond ripp off!...heres the deal I got...

First I called Orange and made friends withthe lady on the other end (took 30 min and had her laughing) she then offered me the following:

Free Lumia 820
500 Min Free
750 MB Data
Unlimited Text
Free Push Email

all for ?26

I knew Phones 4 U are offering a free wireless charging plate, Orange do not offer accesories, so I was told.

I then called Phones4U after taking the number of the Orange rep in case they couldnt match the deal. Heres what I got...

24 month Contract
Lumia 920 for free (not 820 as with orange)
600 Min free
500mb Data (I mainly use Wifi anyway but im going to go back to orange to see if I can blag an upgrade)
Unlimited Tex
Free Push Email
Free Wireless Plate
Free copy of Windows 8 Pro

?26 a month :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb