UK Lumia 920 pricing is crazy

camstreet1

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I've just seen that AT&T are selling the Lumia 920 off-contract (but presumably SIM-locked) for $449.99. THat is only ?280!!!! Sure, we have VAT here, but even whacking that on at 20% it comes out at ?336, WAY cheaper than the pricing we have here - and far cheaper even than the SIM-free pricing of the Lumia 820, which is listed as ?379.95 at carphone warehouse.

WHat the **** is going on, Nokia?

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
In Australia, the 920 is exclusive to Telstra (best coverage and speeds but ridiculous pricing) and is supposedly going to cost around $820 unlocked. Not really an option, if that holds true.

JMBasquiat

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've just seen that AT&T are selling the Lumia 920 off-contract (but presumably SIM-locked) for $449.99. THat is only ?280!!!! Sure, we have VAT here, but even whacking that on at 20% it comes out at ?336, WAY cheaper than the pricing we have here - and far cheaper even than the SIM-free pricing of the Lumia 820, which is listed as ?379.95 at carphone warehouse.

WHat the **** is going on, Nokia?

That's $449 + tax + a full month of service. So really, it's $449 + $130-150 depending on which state you live in.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Why? Its cheaper than more popular Android mobiles, like the S3/Note (?499.95 on CPWH) or Note 2 (?549.95 on CPWH)

Being that the S3 has been out a couple of months now, yet the brand new 920 is still cheaper.

misterRafter

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

PHONES4U will do Nokia Lumia 920 (red and Yellow) sim free for ?459.99.

Signs are up in shop.. Hopefully hey'll be getting a delivery tomorrow for L920.

Some of the PHONES4U shops in Leeds have got the HTC 8x and L820

PrivateOnParade

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
The 'sim free' phones with Phones4U are still carrier locked to EE/TMobile/Orange - thats from a post on their twitter feed.

P4U have Black and White on a 3-5 day delivery if you get it on contract - includes charging plate and bluetooth speaker at the moment - that is news I was given 1 hour ago having a chat with them - ie they have stock! As i'm in the market for a contract I took the plunge seeing as its not going to be available unlocked for a while and working out the costings to buy one at the moment from say Germany and add in the monthly costs it's not much difference over a 2 year ownership.

They stated they have no idea when stores will have them, dealing direct seems the best way to get one. Having bought a HTC 8X and returned it an hour later as the screen was faulty i'm taking the 920 route.

sebrov

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
From what I've been told today the 920 will be sim free on all carriers at ?350. EE is only exclusive for 4G but they're the only one with 4g so no shock there. Rep said think of it as being in the same situation as the iPhone where its exclusive to EE for 4g.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
From what I've been told today the 920 will be sim free on all carriers at ?350. EE is only exclusive for 4G but they're the only one with 4g so no shock there. Rep said think of it as being in the same situation as the iPhone where its exclusive to EE for 4g.
Who was it that told you that you can get it for ?350 and from where? The cheapest price I've seen is Phones4U pay as you go for ?459 but there's a lot of debate whether that phone is really unlocked and even when they're getting them in stock.

EDIT: I just received an email from Digital-phones.co.uk too:

Hi, Unfortunately we have been informed that we will not be getting the Nokia Lumia 920 unlocked until the new year now. Nokia have opted to just supply this product on high tariffs with EE only. Another phone option that has just come out which might be of interest to you is the new HTC 8X, which is a windows 8 Phone. Really good specification phone at a great price to. Plus it is in stock now and unlocked.

http://www.digital-phone.co.uk/product/windows-phone-8x-by-htc-blue.aspx

Sorry that we cannot now supply the 920

Kind regards

John Sherwood

Last edited:

camstreet1

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Who told you that Sebrov? Sounds way too good to be true... and counters what we've been told via official(ish) P4U and Nokia channels, not to mention Muessig above.
In-store workers seem to just make up whatever they think people want to hear.

Last edited:

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
It's wrong - Phones4U have stated time and again that their phones are all locked to EE - with some colours being locked to EE the network and others being locked to EE the brand (so needs a orange, EE or T-mobile sim).

They have also stated that they will provide no unlocking service and that unlocking the phone voids your warranty.

Last edited:

slicc

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
EE seem to be charging the same for the L920 as the 16gb iphone 5, despite the iphone being ?300 more expensive SIM free (according iphone price on handtec).

Using these numbers the 1GB 12 month L920 should be ?51 a month with a ?100 cash back, not the ?199 actually being charged.

I can only assume EE do not want to sell the lumia! Very annoying!

sebrov

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Who told you that Sebrov? Sounds way too good to be true... and counters what we've been told via official(ish) P4U and Nokia channels, not to mention Muessig above.
In-store workers seem to just make up whatever they think people want to hear.

It was phones4u that told me that. They thought I was mad when I was telling then it was EE exclusive. Several members of staff all said the same. Supposedly there was a training event only yesterday regarding this. Don't know when its out though as they don't have any stock yet.

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
It's wrong - Phones4U have stated time and again that their phones are all locked to EE - with some colours being locked to EE the network and others being locked to EE the brand (so needs a orange, EE or T-mobile sim).

They have also stated that they will provide no unlocking service and that unlocking the phone voids your warranty.

I had a slightly different take on it from P4U when I called and was told that they would have it SIM free but didn't see why the manager would be selling it that way; which I inferred to mean they get more kickback selling it on contract.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte