Technonuffalo review... possible conspiracy exposed.

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Nokia Lumia 920 Review - The Best Windows Phone 8 Device Yet? | TechnoBuffalo

Excerpt: "The Lumia 920 no doubt packs a bit of heft at 185g (6.52oz) and a thickness of 10.7mm, but it?s a far cry from the complaints several pundits have issued recently."

After getting some REAL reactions from REAL people that have actually held the phone, and after reading this, I'm almost certain that certain websites conspired to over exaggerate the "weight" issue.

Anyway, great read.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
No, it's not a conspiracy. For some people it's too heavy. Not for me, but for some.

btw, the verge mobile show is on right now, i was listening for a bit. Deiter, who seemed to be the main reviewer of the 920 for the verge, was going on and on about the 920. I swear, if he reviewed it again I wouldn't be surprised to see it get a better score.

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
No, it's not a conspiracy. For some people it's too heavy. Not for me, but for some.

btw, the verge mobile show is on right now, i was listening for a bit. Deiter, who seemed to be the main reviewer of the 920 for the verge, was going on and on about the 920. I swear, if he reviewed it again I wouldn't be surprised to see it get a better score.

Fair enough. But I was mainly referring to those websites that over exaggerated and blew out of proportion the weight issue. Some site said it was so heavy you need no less than two hands to wield it. Gizmodo in particular was full of lies. He said it's 90 grams lighter than an iPad Mini, when in fact the difference is much greater than that.

And as for Dieter I agree. What killed that review was those other "contributing editors". But even then they didn't go on about the weight.

karmamule

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Gizmodo jumped the shark years ago. I just don't even bother with them any more. That's true of several other Gawker-owned sites like Kotaku as well. They went from a better-than-average site to link-bait trash.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Relax.. the same thing happened with Nokia's other pureview product, there wasn't a single review where they didn't say it was a "brick" , when in fact, its perfectly fine. They just like to ***** I guess, and always forget the fact that those phones are heavy for a reason.. I don't see a samsung product with optical image stabilization to compare the 920 to.. so until then, its the lightest phone with such technology.

Isolated1

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Has the weight issue been blown out of proportion? I think we can all agree that it indeed has.

However, I do have my own opinions on this subject matter:

The 920 has been criticized for its weight is due to it really being the heaviest smart phone out of its major competitors. If you look at it, 185g is a 185g and 185g is less than 184g. You can't spin it. Point is the reviewers made a big deal out of it but I think it was extremely unfair to call it a "brick".

Most of the reviewers do not like to add in the fact that they are most likely using a case of some sort to protect their precious smart phone, which obviously increases the weight. This puts the smart phone, give or take, around 10-20g below the 920. If you really have to argue about the difference, then I really don't know what to say. The only conclusion I can come up with is that 160g is still less than 180g and some people will make that a focal point. In real world usage, I highly doubt casual users will notice it. I dunno about the rest of you but I am definitely not putting a cover over my 920. That puts it on par with most smart phones who may seem lighter on a spec sheet but weighs in at or around the 920 once the cover goes on.

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Things like weight, size, camera quality, maximum customization, color, wireless charging, creakiness of the case, thickness, etc all seem to become extremely important at various times.

Back in the day, you were laughed at if your phone was big. Smaller the better. The iPhone changed all that. I remember thinking the original iPhone was HUGE. I've seen the trend towards phones getting bigger and bigger, but I just can't see how anything much bigger that the Lumia 920 will be acceptable (Even though Samsung continues to push the limits). I remember thinking the 800 was just the right size and I DO like the size, but realistically, it could do with the extra real estate. If I need something bigger, then it is time for a tablet.

Weight seems to be, currently anyway, what the phone size was back pre-iPhone. There "seems" to be an attitude towards light is good. But to me, light says and has always said "disposable". I love the solid feel of my 800. I know the 920 is going to feel big to me for a few days and then I'll be used to it. After that, all other phones are going to feel really cheap and disposable by comparison.

I would say if you want heft to reflect the quality that is inherent to Nokia, then you should refer to the other phones as having a disposable feel to them. Grow that attitude enough and next thing you know, everyone will NEED a Nokia. Noone is cool walking around with a disposable phone :)

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Gizmodo jumped the shark years ago. I just don't even bother with them any more. That's true of several other Gawker-owned sites like Kotaku as well. They went from a better-than-average site to link-bait trash.

Gawker is trash. Gizmodo is the TMZ of the tech world.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Things like weight, size, camera quality, maximum customization, color, wireless charging, creakiness of the case, thickness, etc all seem to become extremely important at various times.

Back in the day, you were laughed at if your phone was big. Smaller the better. The iPhone changed all that. I remember thinking the original iPhone was HUGE. I've seen the trend towards phones getting bigger and bigger, but I just can't see how anything much bigger that the Lumia 920 will be acceptable (Even though Samsung continues to push the limits). I remember thinking the 800 was just the right size and I DO like the size, but realistically, it could do with the extra real estate. If I need something bigger, then it is time for a tablet.

Weight seems to be, currently anyway, what the phone size was back pre-iPhone. There "seems" to be an attitude towards light is good. But to me, light says and has always said "disposable". I love the solid feel of my 800. I know the 920 is going to feel big to me for a few days and then I'll be used to it. After that, all other phones are going to feel really cheap and disposable by comparison.

I would say if you want heft to reflect the quality that is inherent to Nokia, then you should refer to the other phones as having a disposable feel to them. Grow that attitude enough and next thing you know, everyone will NEED a Nokia. Noone is cool walking around with a disposable phone :)

I have a 170g EVO 4G, and when that came out, the weight was a feature.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't think there's a conspiracy, but rather the writers on most of these tech sites like to litter their reviews with subjective nonsense. You know which devices they will be more forgiving (cough apple cough) of and which devices they will scrutinize more based on their writing history.

At the same time, with the weight Apple shares hold it probably would make sense why they want Apple to remain king.

dandrayan

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
My girlfriend and I each have an HTC Arrive and neither of us has had any problems or complaints about its 184g of weight in the year and a half that we've owned each of ours. We're both looking forward to gaining that extra 1g of weight when we switch over to our Lumia 920s.

beyondthepale35

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My girlfriend and I each have an HTC Arrive and neither of us has had any problems or complaints about its 184g of weight in the year and a half that we've owned each of ours. We're both looking forward to gaining that extra 1g of weight when we switch over to our Lumia 920s.

Same, my girlfriend and her mom both have Arrives and im pretty sure they both dont have any problems lifting it up. That phone at least made my girlfriend hate Android so lets see if I can bring her to the Windows camp.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos