Just talked to an At&t rep about an early upgrade...

Darus214

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
So here's my story. I have an iPhone 4s. Bought it the day it came out which is about a year ago. I checked my upgrade eligibility and was disappointed to find out that I wouldnt be able to get a Lumia 920 for $99 or any other phone till mid next year. So I called up Att and the service rep pretty much explained to me that since I am eager to get this phone, they might be able to help me out by allowing an early upgrade. Now, the catch is that I have to wait till the phone is officially out on Friday. The rep took down my number and said he will call me in the morning on Friday to speak about the price. I don't know for sure, yet, but it might be possible for others to do the same if they call Att and they have an account in good standing. If anyone else has similar experience, possibly with a previous purchase, it'd be great for you to chime in on here. I'm not saying that I will be getting this phone for the $99 but I'll be sure to update on Friday. If you are eager to get this phone, it might be worth a call to Att. The service reps might be a bit more flexible with the upgrade date than the Att website

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
A service rep said they will call YOU and talk to you about getting you an early upgrade? Is your father Mr. AT&T?

Last edited:

Darus214

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
A service rep said they will call YOU and talk to you about getting you an early upgrade? If your father Mr. AT&T?
He explained to me that he will speak with his manager and give me a call on Friday about what his manager tells him. Sorry, I was a bit unclear about that in my explanation.

downhillrider

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
ive never heard of them calling people back, but since ATT wants WP to work its a good deal if they do. I know early upgrade is 18 months?

Guitarpik

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I've had 2 different reps promise to call me back in the past 24 hours and neither did.

Hoping you have better luck than me but don't get your hopes up too high.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I called at&t this morning. I had one line eligible for upgrade and my other not, like 8 months from eligible. I just asked nicely, no threat to cancel, just politely asked, and they hooked me up with my one eligible and an early on my other line. And I got the $99 pricing on the 920, $49 on the 820. And since I was at work, the rep verified my number and called me back on my lunch break. She was definitely awesome.

111san

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
my friend who has a lumia 900 called atnt today to ask for an early upgrade (phone was bought when it came out in april). She was told she needed to wait till friday but she will be given an exception upgrade (thats the term they seem to use for early upgrades). But there is a fee associated with this. Its 250$ on top of whatever phone price you are getting. So for a lumia 920 with a new 2 year contract, she was told she will have to pay 350$. Which is not too bad considering she can then sell off her 900. No info on whether the free charging pad will be included but I dont see why not. She plans to go into store on friday and do this early upgrade thing. And I am pretty sure this is what anyone can hope for since I believe she spoke to 3 levels of people starting from the first customer rep and onward to a supervisor and a manager.

ja105ny

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Guys, I'm getting the Lumia 920 as an upgrade on Friday. My brother had upgraded to a 900 back in June. I called ATT and they let me early upgrade his phone for $99!!! No threatening, just said I was upset about getting a brand new phone and having it become dated so quickly. Was really nice to the lady and she got her manager to do an override and now both of us will have a 920 on Friday. :D

mattgrif

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
So here's my story. I have an iPhone 4s. Bought it the day it came out which is about a year ago. I checked my upgrade eligibility and was disappointed to find out that I wouldnt be able to get a Lumia 920 for $99 or any other phone till mid next year. So I called up Att and the service rep pretty much explained to me that since I am eager to get this phone, they might be able to help me out by allowing an early upgrade. Now, the catch is that I have to wait till the phone is officially out on Friday. The rep took down my number and said he will call me in the morning on Friday to speak about the price. I don't know for sure, yet, but it might be possible for others to do the same if they call Att and they have an account in good standing. If anyone else has similar experience, possibly with a previous purchase, it'd be great for you to chime in on here. I'm not saying that I will be getting this phone for the $99 but I'll be sure to update on Friday. If you are eager to get this phone, it might be worth a call to Att. The service reps might be a bit more flexible with the upgrade date than the Att website
You are a very lucky person if they do this. I was nice for a solid 2 hours before I went ballistic on them.

Dession

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
The same exact thing happened to me. I called on Wednesday to ask about when my upgrade was and I let the rep know I wanted to buy a Lumia 920. Since pre-orders didn't start until Thursday she said she'd call me the next day to place the order. So she called me in the morning on Thursday and had her manager override my upgrade day. My upgrade was supposed to be in June 2013. So I went through and placed the order. But she charged me $199 instead of $99, so I called back and another rep gave me a $100 credit on my ATT bill. So happy to be an ATT customer!

jen35

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
The same exact thing happened to me. I called on Wednesday to ask about when my upgrade was and I let the rep know I wanted to buy a Lumia 920. Since pre-orders didn't start until Thursday she said she'd call me the next day to place the order. So she called me in the morning on Thursday and had her manager override my upgrade day. My upgrade was supposed to be in June 2013. So I went through and placed the order. But she charged me $199 instead of $99, so I called back and another rep gave me a $100 credit on my ATT bill. So happy to be an ATT customer!
I just spoke to an ATT rep for early upgrade, looks like they can provide me an upgrade but the price is 199. Whether for you also they quoted the same or it was by mistake they charged you 199 and then you got it credited back to your account ?

panheid

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Talked to reps online and over the phone. Both denied an early upgrade, but said if I went to a store they might be able to work something out.

I then called my local store and the guy said that if I come in 11/9 or after they might be able to work something out with me.

Fingers crossed!

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
If there is anything I hate from a company, its lack of consistency. Why are some allowed to upgrade early with no problem and others have to jump through hoops?

Dession

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I just spoke to an ATT rep for early upgrade, looks like they can provide me an upgrade but the price is 199. Whether for you also they quoted the same or it was by mistake they charged you 199 and then you got it credited back to your account ?

Hmm, well I know when I initially spoke to the rep and placed the order she explicitly said $199. I was in a hurry so I didn't correct her and ask about the $99 price. But later on in the day I called back and told them the advertised price online is $99 for a 2-year contract and the Rep gave me a $100 credit on my ATT Bill. So, after you place your order for $199 try calling back once you get the receipt in your e-mail and after they've charged your card to see if they will give you a $100 credit too.

Darus214

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, well I know when I initially spoke to the rep and placed the order she explicitly said $199. I was in a hurry so I didn't correct her and ask about the $99 price. But later on in the day I called back and told them the advertised price online is $99 for a 2-year contract and the Rep gave me a $100 credit on my ATT Bill. So, after you place your order for $199 try calling back once you get the receipt in your e-mail and after they've charged your card to see if they will give you a $100 credit too.

How far are you into your contract?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb