This again?

Windows Central Podcast 37: Windows 10 Mobile is still dead

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

2015 machine in 2017?

Surface 3 still holds its own in 2017

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 140
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Darus214's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    So here's my story. I have an iPhone 4s. Bought it the day it came out which is about a year ago. I checked my upgrade eligibility and was disappointed to find out that I wouldnt be able to get a Lumia 920 for $99 or any other phone till mid next year. So I called up Att and the service rep pretty much explained to me that since I am eager to get this phone, they might be able to help me out by allowing an early upgrade. Now, the catch is that I have to wait till the phone is officially out on Friday. The rep took down my number and said he will call me in the morning on Friday to speak about the price. I don't know for sure, yet, but it might be possible for others to do the same if they call Att and they have an account in good standing. If anyone else has similar experience, possibly with a previous purchase, it'd be great for you to chime in on here. I'm not saying that I will be getting this phone for the $99 but I'll be sure to update on Friday. If you are eager to get this phone, it might be worth a call to Att. The service reps might be a bit more flexible with the upgrade date than the Att website
  2. VagrantWade's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,400 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    A service rep said they will call YOU and talk to you about getting you an early upgrade? Is your father Mr. AT&T?
    Last edited by VagrantWade; 11-07-2012 at 10:45 PM.
    hydrogen3 likes this.
  3. Darus214's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by VagrantWade View Post
    A service rep said they will call YOU and talk to you about getting you an early upgrade? If your father Mr. AT&T?
    Yea he took down my number and said he will give me a call...
  4. Darus214's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by VagrantWade View Post
    A service rep said they will call YOU and talk to you about getting you an early upgrade? If your father Mr. AT&T?
    He explained to me that he will speak with his manager and give me a call on Friday about what his manager tells him. Sorry, I was a bit unclear about that in my explanation.
  5. fulnix's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    My rep called me back about the 920 upgrade too. I've always had excellent customer service from AT&T.
  6. Darus214's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by fulnix View Post
    My rep called me back about the 920 upgrade too. I've always had excellent customer service from AT&T.
    Were you able to get the discount price?
  7. downhillrider's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    195 Posts
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    ive never heard of them calling people back, but since ATT wants WP to work its a good deal if they do. I know early upgrade is 18 months?
  8. Guitarpik's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    273 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    I've had 2 different reps promise to call me back in the past 24 hours and neither did.

    Hoping you have better luck than me but don't get your hopes up too high.
  9. Etyrnus's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    384 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    I called at&t this morning. I had one line eligible for upgrade and my other not, like 8 months from eligible. I just asked nicely, no threat to cancel, just politely asked, and they hooked me up with my one eligible and an early on my other line. And I got the $99 pricing on the 920, $49 on the 820. And since I was at work, the rep verified my number and called me back on my lunch break. She was definitely awesome.
  10. sdreamer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    407 Posts
    Global Posts
    409 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Just wondering, has anyone with a Lumia 900 try to do this?
  11. 111san's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    my friend who has a lumia 900 called atnt today to ask for an early upgrade (phone was bought when it came out in april). She was told she needed to wait till friday but she will be given an exception upgrade (thats the term they seem to use for early upgrades). But there is a fee associated with this. Its 250$ on top of whatever phone price you are getting. So for a lumia 920 with a new 2 year contract, she was told she will have to pay 350$. Which is not too bad considering she can then sell off her 900. No info on whether the free charging pad will be included but I dont see why not. She plans to go into store on friday and do this early upgrade thing. And I am pretty sure this is what anyone can hope for since I believe she spoke to 3 levels of people starting from the first customer rep and onward to a supervisor and a manager.
  12. ja105ny's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    Guys, I'm getting the Lumia 920 as an upgrade on Friday. My brother had upgraded to a 900 back in June. I called ATT and they let me early upgrade his phone for $99!!! No threatening, just said I was upset about getting a brand new phone and having it become dated so quickly. Was really nice to the lady and she got her manager to do an override and now both of us will have a 920 on Friday. :D
  13. mattgrif's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    37 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darus214 View Post
    So here's my story. I have an iPhone 4s. Bought it the day it came out which is about a year ago. I checked my upgrade eligibility and was disappointed to find out that I wouldnt be able to get a Lumia 920 for $99 or any other phone till mid next year. So I called up Att and the service rep pretty much explained to me that since I am eager to get this phone, they might be able to help me out by allowing an early upgrade. Now, the catch is that I have to wait till the phone is officially out on Friday. The rep took down my number and said he will call me in the morning on Friday to speak about the price. I don't know for sure, yet, but it might be possible for others to do the same if they call Att and they have an account in good standing. If anyone else has similar experience, possibly with a previous purchase, it'd be great for you to chime in on here. I'm not saying that I will be getting this phone for the $99 but I'll be sure to update on Friday. If you are eager to get this phone, it might be worth a call to Att. The service reps might be a bit more flexible with the upgrade date than the Att website
    You are a very lucky person if they do this. I was nice for a solid 2 hours before I went ballistic on them.
  14. Dession's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    The same exact thing happened to me. I called on Wednesday to ask about when my upgrade was and I let the rep know I wanted to buy a Lumia 920. Since pre-orders didn't start until Thursday she said she'd call me the next day to place the order. So she called me in the morning on Thursday and had her manager override my upgrade day. My upgrade was supposed to be in June 2013. So I went through and placed the order. But she charged me $199 instead of $99, so I called back and another rep gave me a $100 credit on my ATT bill. So happy to be an ATT customer!
  15. jen35's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dession View Post
    The same exact thing happened to me. I called on Wednesday to ask about when my upgrade was and I let the rep know I wanted to buy a Lumia 920. Since pre-orders didn't start until Thursday she said she'd call me the next day to place the order. So she called me in the morning on Thursday and had her manager override my upgrade day. My upgrade was supposed to be in June 2013. So I went through and placed the order. But she charged me $199 instead of $99, so I called back and another rep gave me a $100 credit on my ATT bill. So happy to be an ATT customer!
    I just spoke to an ATT rep for early upgrade, looks like they can provide me an upgrade but the price is 199. Whether for you also they quoted the same or it was by mistake they charged you 199 and then you got it credited back to your account ?
  16. panheid's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    26 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    Talked to reps online and over the phone. Both denied an early upgrade, but said if I went to a store they might be able to work something out.

    I then called my local store and the guy said that if I come in 11/9 or after they might be able to work something out with me.

    Fingers crossed!
  17. TonyDedrick's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    671 Posts
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    If there is anything I hate from a company, its lack of consistency. Why are some allowed to upgrade early with no problem and others have to jump through hoops?
  18. panheid's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    26 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyDedrick View Post
    If there is anything I hate from a company, its lack of consistency. Why are some allowed to upgrade early with no problem and others have to jump through hoops?
    So true!

    It seems like the luck of the draw on which rep you talk to. It's ridiculous!
  19. Dession's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by jen35 View Post
    I just spoke to an ATT rep for early upgrade, looks like they can provide me an upgrade but the price is 199. Whether for you also they quoted the same or it was by mistake they charged you 199 and then you got it credited back to your account ?
    Hmm, well I know when I initially spoke to the rep and placed the order she explicitly said $199. I was in a hurry so I didn't correct her and ask about the $99 price. But later on in the day I called back and told them the advertised price online is $99 for a 2-year contract and the Rep gave me a $100 credit on my ATT Bill. So, after you place your order for $199 try calling back once you get the receipt in your e-mail and after they've charged your card to see if they will give you a $100 credit too.
  20. Darus214's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dession View Post
    Hmm, well I know when I initially spoke to the rep and placed the order she explicitly said $199. I was in a hurry so I didn't correct her and ask about the $99 price. But later on in the day I called back and told them the advertised price online is $99 for a 2-year contract and the Rep gave me a $100 credit on my ATT Bill. So, after you place your order for $199 try calling back once you get the receipt in your e-mail and after they've charged your card to see if they will give you a $100 credit too.
    How far are you into your contract?
  21. ejlee072006's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    63 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #21  
    Im trying this right now
  22. lordofthereef's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    656 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Etyrnus View Post
    I called at&t this morning. I had one line eligible for upgrade and my other not, like 8 months from eligible. I just asked nicely, no threat to cancel, just politely asked, and they hooked me up with my one eligible and an early on my other line. And I got the $99 pricing on the 920, $49 on the 820. And since I was at work, the rep verified my number and called me back on my lunch break. She was definitely awesome.
    So at the end of the day the decision to make is whether or not $100 savings (since the 920 is $450 off contract) is worth locking yourself into a 2 year contract. That boils down to slightly over $4 per month over the life of the contract. Personally I think I would prefer to buy the phone off contract and then have the upgrade for another phone 8-12 months down the line if something else piques my interest.
  23. apoc527's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    201 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #23  
    Has anyone who bought the Lumia 900 on launch day had any luck getting any kind of good deal for the 920? I can't tell if the people in this thread who have gotten good deals were simply slightly early upgrades from another phone or more like those of us who would be asking for an EXTREMELY early upgrade. Thanks!
  24. Gken's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    211 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #24  
    It also helps being nice to the reps. I worked in customer service and let me tell you, in some cases they have a lot of power to do things but rather not do them (whatever that reason may be). If you are a nice person, heck I can tell you it is not their money and they will do it anyways. But remember to try and stay nice and calm.
  25. kevinxb's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    35 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by apoc527 View Post
    Has anyone who bought the Lumia 900 on launch day had any luck getting any kind of good deal for the 920? I can't tell if the people in this thread who have gotten good deals were simply slightly early upgrades from another phone or more like those of us who would be asking for an EXTREMELY early upgrade. Thanks!
    I have a family plan with TWO 900s that were bought on launch day. Yesterday I called AT&T customer service and was told they did not have access to order the 920 yet, but that I could call back Friday and ask for an exception upgrade. I was also given the line that it would be $200-250 on top of the contract price, but that they wouldn't know the exact amount until they could place an order.

    Seeing this thread, I called back today and was told the only way I could do an upgrade was for a refurbished phone. The rep told me they still did not have access to order the 920, which is obvious bull in light of this thread, and even after speaking to her manager, there was no way they would be able to do an early upgrade and that the person I spoke to yesterday was incorrect.

    The inconsistency is mind-boggling. I will try again tomorrow and see if I get someone more willing to help.
    Last edited by kevinxb; 11-08-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

";