Nexus 4 or Lumia 920/820?

camstreet1

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
So I?ve been hungering after a Lumia 920 and WP8 for ages, I even bought my g/f a Lumia 710 a while ago to see what it was like (she loves it, btw). But the pricing (at least in the UK) and general debacle surrounding the launch has really put me off. The weight issue hasn?t helped either.

Now along comes Google with the Nexus 4, selling the 8 GB version sim-free for ?239. Yep, ?239. And when I say sim-free, I also mean unlocked to any network.

I genuinely think WP8 is better than android, and love many of Nokia?s exclusive apps/hardware innovations. But they?re not worth ?250+ and signing my life away to EE for the next 12-24 months. I?m not interested in the 8X.

When the Nexus 4 goes on sale on Tuesday, I now intend to dive right in. Can anyone think of any GOOD reasons for why I should change my mind? I am prepared to be persuaded.

miki20021

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone 8 vs Android.

'Nuff said for me.

I come from iPhone and I could never have used anodroid... It suck and lag so bad it hurts.

fierywater

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I'd say go ahead and get the Nexus 4 if you're contract-averse. You're getting a pretty great ecosystem, the best Android hardware available, and the newest OS directly from Google, all for a stupidly great price.

If I wasn't on Verizon in the U.S., I probably would have gone for it already. Worst case scenario, you don't like it and sell it. Then you'll be pretty much back where you started.

camstreet1

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I'd say go ahead and get the Nexus 4 if you're contract-averse. You're getting a pretty great ecosystem, the best Android hardware available, and the newest OS directly from Google, all for a stupidly great price.

If I wasn't on Verizon in the U.S., I probably would have gone for it already. Worst case scenario, you don't like it and sell it. Then you'll be pretty much back where you started.
Think you're right Fiery - at the Nexus 4 price you just can't go wrong. In 6-9 months there'll (hopefully) be a new batch of WP8 phones (hello, Surface), and I'll take the leap then!

mtbush

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 4 is appealing for it's ecosystem and being unlocked, but without LTE and max storage capacity @ 16GB it just wouldn't work out for me since I'm grandfathered into an unlimited data plan. Plus you factor in the crappy glass back that's already cracked in several review units, it's just an accident waiting to happen.

Tsaan

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been an android user for over 3 years and I want something new to play with. I have the HTC One X now and I preordered a Lumia 920. Yes, the Nexus 4 is a nice phone and its price is great as well as the new operating system. The Nexus 4 doesn't have LTE which I'm spoiled with and I can never go back to HSPA+.

xbilly

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm going for the Nexus 4.

Was all set for Nokia 920 and would have ordered on EE had the rep called me back.

As it was thought I'd buy in store so wasn't too concerned when the call didn't come. Then the price hike...

Still want Windows Phone 8 and with SIM free Nexus 4 can sell when the second generation phones come out and 4G is more sensibly priced.

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus 4 is a great device.

IMO the 920 beats it in optics, and storage space. The screen on the 920 is supposed to be better as well.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I perfer WP but I don't think I like it so much that I'll eat an difference of ?240 if and when I can get it unlocked.

Oddly I was talking about this earlier with my other half, she was looking to replace her blackberry and she pointed out that for the price of the 920 we can replace both our phones!

camstreet1

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
she pointed out that for the price of the 920 we can replace both our phones!

That's s very good point. I read somewhere that Microsoft and Nokia (prob mainly MSFT) are spending $1 billion on advertising for WP8... I think they'd be far, far better off spending the money on massively subsidizing the phones, like Google must be doing.

tlo07

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm also having a hard time choosing between the N4 and the L920. They both have some awesome features. I love the live tiles on the Lumia. I love the sparkly back and the "tiny world" photo filter on the N4. I've just decided that since the L920 is practically free I'll get it with my upgrade and in a few weeks if I still want the N4 I'll sell the Nokia to help pay for it (or I guess I could sell my iPhone 4s). I mean, its not like I can use an upgrade for the N4 anyway. I am worried about the phones being too big. I usually like phones with screens around 4.2 inches so these are getting pretty big. The problem is, all the good phones are big now. Has anyone seen any photos of the GS3 next to a N4 and/or a L920? I'll be able to see the Nokia in the store, obviously, but I would like to get an idea of the size before I actually order the N4. My daughter has the GS3 so it would be a good reference for me.

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
So I?ve been hungering after a Lumia 920 and WP8 for ages, I even bought my g/f a Lumia 710 a while ago to see what it was like (she loves it, btw). But the pricing (at least in the UK) and general debacle surrounding the launch has really put me off. The weight issue hasn?t helped either.

Now along comes Google with the Nexus 4, selling the 8 GB version sim-free for ?239. Yep, ?239. And when I say sim-free, I also mean unlocked to any network.

I genuinely think WP8 is better than android, and love many of Nokia?s exclusive apps/hardware innovations. But they?re not worth ?250+ and signing my life away to EE for the next 12-24 months. I?m not interested in the 8X.

When the Nexus 4 goes on sale on Tuesday, I now intend to dive right in. Can anyone think of any GOOD reasons for why I should change my mind? I am prepared to be persuaded.

I don't get this whole "signing your life away" thing. I bought a subsidized iPhone back when AT&T was selling the 3GS. Signed up for a two year contract. That contract expired over a year ago and I have been happily paying for the same program ever since. Just wondering why you are averse to a contract.. I know a lot of people are, it just hasn't been any kind of emotional issue for me. My bill is consistent as well as my service, so I have never had to call customer service.

Not sure I understand the ?250+ comment. I haven't followed the EE deal since I live in the U.S. but isn't the device .. at most ?129.99 with 500MB data plan down to ?19.99 with a 3GB and higher data plan? Sorry if I'm off on the details.

I can understand having an unlocked phone in certain cases though. I bought my unlocked 800 to see if Nokia and MS had really done it. Very happy with the phone. Now...that phone will do duty as my International travel phone.

As far as "weight". I think most people agree that Nokias are well built. Heck my e51 is only 12grams lighter than the current iPhone and it feels really solid and has been bulletproof since I bought it (whereas my iPhone 3GS literally started falling apart after a year). Give the 920 an honest shot. Guarantee that the "weight" won't be an issue in a few days. I also bet that in a few months or so, other phones are going to feel downright "disposable".

GreekboyD

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I am in the same boat and will go for the Nexus 4. At $349 it's just too good to pass up and I'm coming from three years with the iPhone 3GS. I honestly prefer Win 8 a tad more but I work for Bell and get 35% off on my monthly contract. Right now we don't have the Lumia 920 and I will not buy an unlocked version for $700 nor wait for us to get it six months later. This way I can give the Android OS an honest chance, allow the Win 8 ecosystem to build and jump in 1-2 years later.

I'm done with locking myself into 2-3 year deals for any phone and hopefully more phone manufacturers take the Nexus 4 lead and start subsidizing their phones unlocked.

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I am in the same boat and will go for the Nexus 4. At $349 it's just too good to pass up and I'm coming from three years with the iPhone 3GS. I honestly prefer Win 8 a tad more but I work for Bell and get 35% off on my monthly contract. Right now we don't have the Lumia 920 and I will not buy an unlocked version for $700 nor wait for us to get it six months later. This way I can give the Android OS an honest chance, allow the Win 8 ecosystem to build and jump in 1-2 years later.

I'm done with locking myself into 2-3 year deals for any phone and hopefully more phone manufacturers take the Nexus 4 lead and start subsidizing their phones unlocked.

What about being "locked in" to a 2 year contract is upsetting. Just trying to understand, so I can start getting upset too! I'm starting to feel like a fool for getting a SUPER cheap and high end phone in exchange for my agreement to stay with the company for two years... Besides the fact I can break that contract at ANY time and end up paying for what is essentially an unsubsidized phone.

Believe it or not, but companies develop new products by making profits on business. Google can obviously afford to subsidize phones....taking profits from other parts of the business, but they won't be able to keep it up forever. And if they do keep it up, count on them cutting corners with the phone specifications (like with the Nexus 4... no LTE, 8GB RAM?)

That's good you are open minded enough to give the Android ecosystem a fair chance. That's exactly what I did with Apple...until the phone started falling apart. I still don't see how you are coming out ahead, financially, by buying a 349 dollar phone. Are the prepaid plans that much cheaper? Seems like the Nexus 4 is down on specs and well over the 99 dollar Lumia 920 (or even 150 bucks). You say your store doesn't have the Lumia 920, why don't you just order from AT&T? I do understand some folks absolute need for certain apps, so if that's were you are coming from, I get it.

Just asking...not sure why I care, just see what, on the surface, seem like weak justifications to go a certain way, when the person seems to want something else.

AbsoluteZerow

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm in this same exact boat, except I don't mind being in a contract. My issue is if I want to pay $90+ for ATT's cheapest plan or $65 for Tmobile plan that gives me unlimited text, minutes, and 5gb of data. Yeah the 920 is cheap at $99, but the cheapest monthly option is $90+ and its pretty crappy when you look at how cheap TMobile is.

I've been a huge windows phone fan since 7 so its weird that I'm even considering a Nexus 4. But man, both of these phones are awesome. I'm still undecided. I plan to check out a 920 tomorrow to get a feel for the phone. I'll do the same with the Nexus 4 on the 14th. We'll see.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I have the Lumia 920 (got in unlocked and contract-free from Vodafone Germany) but will be returning it for the Nexus 4.

The Lumia's a great phone and I do like WP8 a lot. However:

- The price-tag: the 920 is insanely expensive here. I paid 750$ for it off-contract for it. While it's a great phone, it's not 750$ great.

- The weight: at first, I thought it bothered me a lot. Then I thought I could live with it. Now that I've used it for a couple of days, I've decided that I can't. I don't like phones that feel like a brick in the pocket of my jacket when I walk around

- and last but not least: I'm a Google Apps customer. I like my Google Search, I like my GMail and I really like Google+. I guess there's a reason why Google isn't releasing any of their stuff to WP8: to keep customers like me from running over to the competition.

I don't care about storage - heck, I could probably live with the 8gb version (but who's gonna buy that if you can get 16 for 50 bucks more) and I have absolutely no worries about it being made by LG.

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm in this same exact boat, except I don't mind being in a contract. My issue is if I want to pay $90+ for ATT's cheapest plan or $65 for Tmobile plan that gives me unlimited text, minutes, and 5gb of data. Yeah the 920 is cheap at $99, but the cheapest monthly option is $90+ and its pretty crappy when you look at how cheap TMobile is.

I've been a huge windows phone fan since 7 so its weird that I'm even considering a Nexus 4. But man, both of these phones are awesome. I'm still undecided. I plan to check out a 920 tomorrow to get a feel for the phone. I'll do the same with the Nexus 4 on the 14th. We'll see.

That t-mobile plan is great. And actually, if my pre-order had fallen through and they didn't grandfather my plan I would have gone over to t-mobile. Tmobile coverage where I am in Hawaii is fantastic, but it's not so great on the mainland. I get a company discount, so my rate is only 70 bucks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss