Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
Like Tree2Likes
  1. camstreet1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    33 Posts
       #1  
    So Ive been hungering after a Lumia 920 and WP8 for ages, I even bought my g/f a Lumia 710 a while ago to see what it was like (she loves it, btw). But the pricing (at least in the UK) and general debacle surrounding the launch has really put me off. The weight issue hasnt helped either.

    Now along comes Google with the Nexus 4, selling the 8 GB version sim-free for 239. Yep, 239. And when I say sim-free, I also mean unlocked to any network.

    I genuinely think WP8 is better than android, and love many of Nokias exclusive apps/hardware innovations. But theyre not worth 250+ and signing my life away to EE for the next 12-24 months. Im not interested in the 8X.

    When the Nexus 4 goes on sale on Tuesday, I now intend to dive right in. Can anyone think of any GOOD reasons for why I should change my mind? I am prepared to be persuaded.
  2. miki20021's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    51 Posts
    #2  
    Windows Phone 8 vs Android.

    'Nuff said for me.

    I come from iPhone and I could never have used anodroid... It suck and lag so bad it hurts.
  3. fierywater's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    142 Posts
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    #3  
    I'd say go ahead and get the Nexus 4 if you're contract-averse. You're getting a pretty great ecosystem, the best Android hardware available, and the newest OS directly from Google, all for a stupidly great price.

    If I wasn't on Verizon in the U.S., I probably would have gone for it already. Worst case scenario, you don't like it and sell it. Then you'll be pretty much back where you started.
  4. camstreet1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    33 Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by fierywater View Post
    I'd say go ahead and get the Nexus 4 if you're contract-averse. You're getting a pretty great ecosystem, the best Android hardware available, and the newest OS directly from Google, all for a stupidly great price.

    If I wasn't on Verizon in the U.S., I probably would have gone for it already. Worst case scenario, you don't like it and sell it. Then you'll be pretty much back where you started.
    Think you're right Fiery - at the Nexus 4 price you just can't go wrong. In 6-9 months there'll (hopefully) be a new batch of WP8 phones (hello, Surface), and I'll take the leap then!
  5. mtbush's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    37 Posts
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    #5  
    Nexus 4 is appealing for it's ecosystem and being unlocked, but without LTE and max storage capacity @ 16GB it just wouldn't work out for me since I'm grandfathered into an unlimited data plan. Plus you factor in the crappy glass back that's already cracked in several review units, it's just an accident waiting to happen.
    ramrac and Ture like this.
  6. dkp23's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,412 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,441 Global Posts
    #6  
    Been using a samsung galaxy 2 3 fora month, im getting a 920.
  7. Tsaan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    #7  
    I've been an android user for over 3 years and I want something new to play with. I have the HTC One X now and I preordered a Lumia 920. Yes, the Nexus 4 is a nice phone and its price is great as well as the new operating system. The Nexus 4 doesn't have LTE which I'm spoiled with and I can never go back to HSPA+.
  8. xbilly's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    #8  
    I'm going for the Nexus 4.

    Was all set for Nokia 920 and would have ordered on EE had the rep called me back.

    As it was thought I'd buy in store so wasn't too concerned when the call didn't come. Then the price hike...

    Still want Windows Phone 8 and with SIM free Nexus 4 can sell when the second generation phones come out and 4G is more sensibly priced.
  9. KoukiFC3S's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,698 Global Posts
    #9  
    The Nexus 4 is a great device.

    IMO the 920 beats it in optics, and storage space. The screen on the 920 is supposed to be better as well.
  10. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    566 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,830 Global Posts
    #10  
    I perfer WP but I don't think I like it so much that I'll eat an difference of 240 if and when I can get it unlocked.

    Oddly I was talking about this earlier with my other half, she was looking to replace her blackberry and she pointed out that for the price of the 920 we can replace both our phones!
  11. camstreet1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    33 Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by cgk View Post
    she pointed out that for the price of the 920 we can replace both our phones!
    That's s very good point. I read somewhere that Microsoft and Nokia (prob mainly MSFT) are spending $1 billion on advertising for WP8... I think they'd be far, far better off spending the money on massively subsidizing the phones, like Google must be doing.
  12. tlo07's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    85 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,198 Global Posts
    #12  
    I'm also having a hard time choosing between the N4 and the L920. They both have some awesome features. I love the live tiles on the Lumia. I love the sparkly back and the "tiny world" photo filter on the N4. I've just decided that since the L920 is practically free I'll get it with my upgrade and in a few weeks if I still want the N4 I'll sell the Nokia to help pay for it (or I guess I could sell my iPhone 4s). I mean, its not like I can use an upgrade for the N4 anyway. I am worried about the phones being too big. I usually like phones with screens around 4.2 inches so these are getting pretty big. The problem is, all the good phones are big now. Has anyone seen any photos of the GS3 next to a N4 and/or a L920? I'll be able to see the Nokia in the store, obviously, but I would like to get an idea of the size before I actually order the N4. My daughter has the GS3 so it would be a good reference for me.
  13. mikewp's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    100 Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by camstreet1 View Post
    So Ive been hungering after a Lumia 920 and WP8 for ages, I even bought my g/f a Lumia 710 a while ago to see what it was like (she loves it, btw). But the pricing (at least in the UK) and general debacle surrounding the launch has really put me off. The weight issue hasnt helped either.

    Now along comes Google with the Nexus 4, selling the 8 GB version sim-free for 239. Yep, 239. And when I say sim-free, I also mean unlocked to any network.

    I genuinely think WP8 is better than android, and love many of Nokias exclusive apps/hardware innovations. But theyre not worth 250+ and signing my life away to EE for the next 12-24 months. Im not interested in the 8X.

    When the Nexus 4 goes on sale on Tuesday, I now intend to dive right in. Can anyone think of any GOOD reasons for why I should change my mind? I am prepared to be persuaded.
    I don't get this whole "signing your life away" thing. I bought a subsidized iPhone back when AT&T was selling the 3GS. Signed up for a two year contract. That contract expired over a year ago and I have been happily paying for the same program ever since. Just wondering why you are averse to a contract.. I know a lot of people are, it just hasn't been any kind of emotional issue for me. My bill is consistent as well as my service, so I have never had to call customer service.

    Not sure I understand the 250+ comment. I haven't followed the EE deal since I live in the U.S. but isn't the device .. at most 129.99 with 500MB data plan down to 19.99 with a 3GB and higher data plan? Sorry if I'm off on the details.

    I can understand having an unlocked phone in certain cases though. I bought my unlocked 800 to see if Nokia and MS had really done it. Very happy with the phone. Now...that phone will do duty as my International travel phone.

    As far as "weight". I think most people agree that Nokias are well built. Heck my e51 is only 12grams lighter than the current iPhone and it feels really solid and has been bulletproof since I bought it (whereas my iPhone 3GS literally started falling apart after a year). Give the 920 an honest shot. Guarantee that the "weight" won't be an issue in a few days. I also bet that in a few months or so, other phones are going to feel downright "disposable".
  14. GreekboyD's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    144 Posts
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    #14  
    I am in the same boat and will go for the Nexus 4. At $349 it's just too good to pass up and I'm coming from three years with the iPhone 3GS. I honestly prefer Win 8 a tad more but I work for Bell and get 35% off on my monthly contract. Right now we don't have the Lumia 920 and I will not buy an unlocked version for $700 nor wait for us to get it six months later. This way I can give the Android OS an honest chance, allow the Win 8 ecosystem to build and jump in 1-2 years later.

    I'm done with locking myself into 2-3 year deals for any phone and hopefully more phone manufacturers take the Nexus 4 lead and start subsidizing their phones unlocked.
  15. bilzkh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    682 Posts
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    #15  
    I reserved a Lumia 920.
  16. Squachy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    385 Posts
    #16  
    Nexus 4 is made by LG.
    That's enough to keep me away.
  17. mikewp's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    100 Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
    I am in the same boat and will go for the Nexus 4. At $349 it's just too good to pass up and I'm coming from three years with the iPhone 3GS. I honestly prefer Win 8 a tad more but I work for Bell and get 35% off on my monthly contract. Right now we don't have the Lumia 920 and I will not buy an unlocked version for $700 nor wait for us to get it six months later. This way I can give the Android OS an honest chance, allow the Win 8 ecosystem to build and jump in 1-2 years later.

    I'm done with locking myself into 2-3 year deals for any phone and hopefully more phone manufacturers take the Nexus 4 lead and start subsidizing their phones unlocked.
    What about being "locked in" to a 2 year contract is upsetting. Just trying to understand, so I can start getting upset too! I'm starting to feel like a fool for getting a SUPER cheap and high end phone in exchange for my agreement to stay with the company for two years... Besides the fact I can break that contract at ANY time and end up paying for what is essentially an unsubsidized phone.

    Believe it or not, but companies develop new products by making profits on business. Google can obviously afford to subsidize phones....taking profits from other parts of the business, but they won't be able to keep it up forever. And if they do keep it up, count on them cutting corners with the phone specifications (like with the Nexus 4... no LTE, 8GB RAM?)

    That's good you are open minded enough to give the Android ecosystem a fair chance. That's exactly what I did with Apple...until the phone started falling apart. I still don't see how you are coming out ahead, financially, by buying a 349 dollar phone. Are the prepaid plans that much cheaper? Seems like the Nexus 4 is down on specs and well over the 99 dollar Lumia 920 (or even 150 bucks). You say your store doesn't have the Lumia 920, why don't you just order from AT&T? I do understand some folks absolute need for certain apps, so if that's were you are coming from, I get it.

    Just asking...not sure why I care, just see what, on the surface, seem like weak justifications to go a certain way, when the person seems to want something else.
  18. AbsoluteZerow's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    91 Posts
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    #18  
    I'm in this same exact boat, except I don't mind being in a contract. My issue is if I want to pay $90+ for ATT's cheapest plan or $65 for Tmobile plan that gives me unlimited text, minutes, and 5gb of data. Yeah the 920 is cheap at $99, but the cheapest monthly option is $90+ and its pretty crappy when you look at how cheap TMobile is.

    I've been a huge windows phone fan since 7 so its weird that I'm even considering a Nexus 4. But man, both of these phones are awesome. I'm still undecided. I plan to check out a 920 tomorrow to get a feel for the phone. I'll do the same with the Nexus 4 on the 14th. We'll see.
  19. zipro's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    265 Posts
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    #19  
    I have the Lumia 920 (got in unlocked and contract-free from Vodafone Germany) but will be returning it for the Nexus 4.

    The Lumia's a great phone and I do like WP8 a lot. However:

    - The price-tag: the 920 is insanely expensive here. I paid 750$ for it off-contract for it. While it's a great phone, it's not 750$ great.

    - The weight: at first, I thought it bothered me a lot. Then I thought I could live with it. Now that I've used it for a couple of days, I've decided that I can't. I don't like phones that feel like a brick in the pocket of my jacket when I walk around

    - and last but not least: I'm a Google Apps customer. I like my Google Search, I like my GMail and I really like Google+. I guess there's a reason why Google isn't releasing any of their stuff to WP8: to keep customers like me from running over to the competition.


    I don't care about storage - heck, I could probably live with the 8gb version (but who's gonna buy that if you can get 16 for 50 bucks more) and I have absolutely no worries about it being made by LG.
  20. mikewp's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    100 Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyfiive View Post
    I'm in this same exact boat, except I don't mind being in a contract. My issue is if I want to pay $90+ for ATT's cheapest plan or $65 for Tmobile plan that gives me unlimited text, minutes, and 5gb of data. Yeah the 920 is cheap at $99, but the cheapest monthly option is $90+ and its pretty crappy when you look at how cheap TMobile is.

    I've been a huge windows phone fan since 7 so its weird that I'm even considering a Nexus 4. But man, both of these phones are awesome. I'm still undecided. I plan to check out a 920 tomorrow to get a feel for the phone. I'll do the same with the Nexus 4 on the 14th. We'll see.

    That t-mobile plan is great. And actually, if my pre-order had fallen through and they didn't grandfather my plan I would have gone over to t-mobile. Tmobile coverage where I am in Hawaii is fantastic, but it's not so great on the mainland. I get a company discount, so my rate is only 70 bucks.
  21. mikewp's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    100 Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by zipro View Post
    I have the Lumia 920 (got in unlocked and contract-free from Vodafone Germany) but will be returning it for the Nexus 4.

    The Lumia's a great phone and I do like WP8 a lot. However:

    - The price-tag: the 920 is insanely expensive here. I paid 750$ for it off-contract for it. While it's a great phone, it's not 750$ great.

    - The weight: at first, I thought it bothered me a lot. Then I thought I could live with it. Now that I've used it for a couple of days, I've decided that I can't. I don't like phones that feel like a brick in the pocket of my jacket when I walk around

    - and last but not least: I'm a Google Apps customer. I like my Google Search, I like my GMail and I really like Google+. I guess there's a reason why Google isn't releasing any of their stuff to WP8: to keep customers like me from running over to the competition.


    I don't care about storage - heck, I could probably live with the 8gb version (but who's gonna buy that if you can get 16 for 50 bucks more) and I have absolutely no worries about it being made by LG.
    I don't have a huge amount of stuff on my phone and I'm over 8GB of storage... Hate having to manage space and want the extra space to store a movie or 3 when I'm traveling on the airplane.

    Hey as far as google search goes, have you ever tried the bingiton site that does comparisons? I use Google too... it's ingrained... But again, I wanted to try Bing, but psychologically, I felt the Google results were better. Until I tried the bingiton challenge. You do 5 searches and you choose the results you like better. Of course you can lie to make yourself feel better, but I honestly answered... and I really tried to do searches that I thought Google would do better, and Bing came out on top, barely for me..might even call it a draw. Still use Google though haha.

    All the competition has been GREAT for us consumers. Both Google and Apple have done quite a bit to really push things forward these past few years. I also think that MS and Nokia has stepped it up as well and has created an integrated ecosystem that works really well. The apps will come.
  22. camstreet1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    33 Posts
       #22  
    Just a note to those wondering about "signing my life away" on contract. The situation in the UK is quite different to the US - here the phone has launched exclusively on the one and only LTE network, which has just launched, and has a monopoly on 4G until mid-next year. As a consequence, the plans are insanely expensive for the amount of data usage they offer (what's the point in having super-fast speeds if your data allowance is only 500 mb/1 gb?), and the top-up costs if you do use up your data allowance are ludicrous. EE's 3G subsidiaries are starting to offer the phone too, but also at very uncompetitive long-term prices, probably to try and angle people onto the 4G network (the tmobile rep told me as much on the phone).

    So the situation is that if I get an EE contract, I'll be paying through the teeth, and in 6 months time 4G will get way more competitive as other players enter the market, but I'll be stuck paying extortionate prices for another year.

    Adding insult to injury, you can't actually get an unlocked 920 in the UK, and no guarantee 3rd parties will be able to unlock it either. I'm heading to Oz in December for a few weeks and will need a local SIM card (my backup phones have systematically died over the last few weeks) - not knowing if I'll be able to do this is a real drag.

    If the 920 was incontrovertably the best phone out there, maybe I'd still suck it up. But let's face it, all things considered it's a marginal call. The main bug-bear of US reviewers about the nexus 4 is the lack of LTE, but that isn't currently a problem in the UK as explained above, and won't be for a while. My previous phone was a galaxy s2 and android is great, if a bit stale compared to WP8. The price difference, however, is not marginal. And that makes Nokia's offering uncompetitive... in the UK.
  23. xbilly's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    #23  
    I agree.

    Seems crazy that Nokia (and to an extent Microsoft) are prepared to throw away customers in an effort to help EE build their LTE network. They are hardly in a dominant market position. Even more aggravating is that US and other markets are getting better deals. Be interesting to see the take up of WP8 and Nokia products by the turn of the year.

    Was prepared to bite the bullet to the extent of a 12 month 51 p/w contract with 49 920 but when EE decided they could eek out more cash out of WP8 and Nokia early adopters by jacking up the price, I bowed out.

    Aye well, at least Google have stepped into the bridge.
  24. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    566 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,830 Global Posts
    #24  
    So after using the nexus 4 for a few days (my other half got one), as much as I like the WP interface, do I like it at double the price? No.

    I might string out my 800 for a bit longer but for my type of usage, but I can't see myself paying 400+ for a phone when I get one with this spec at 240 - when I then look at my phone plan, the TCP is about half and that money is more useful to me in my stock pot.
    Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
  25. #25  
    They are both good, but I say go with the 920. You are in a WP forum, so...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions