I have to say IPhone 5 wins with pictures

jkrc717

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm comparing the pictures from

Camera phone comparison; iPhone 5, Note II, HTC 8X, Lumia 920 | ZDNet

Iphone and Lumia are neck and neck. It's also a matter of opinion.

Note II looks good. I really do not like HTC at all.

Day time shots, IPhone wins by a hair over the 920.

Low light, 920 beats IPhone by two hairs. Reason is because the 920 pics look a little bright.

Don't bite my head off. This is just my opinion.

I hope that Nokia fixes this problem because with the hardware the L920 has, it could not just be better, but actually smoke the competition.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Hmm... The 8X's photos look a bit over-saturated to me. The 920's look a little darker than the iPhone 5's. The Note's pictures actually look pretty good.

keizka

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
So... iP5 wins in daylight pictures by hair, but loses in low light pictures by two hairs? How is it then winning? :s

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
So... iP5 wins in daylight pictures by hair, but loses in low light pictures by two hairs? How is it then winning? :s

The hairs in the daylight shot were head hairs while the hairs in the ngihtime shot were... nevermind. :p

At the end of the day, Nokia is the clear winner for me as I prefer to include video and audio into the camera comparison. Frankly I have been unimpressed with the iPhone 5 camera. It's not a whole lot better than the 4S (performs better in low light, but not by enough for me to care... low light pics still aren't good enough IMO to be called great).

It's going to take me trying the L920 out to see what the difference really is. I already know how pictures that I take turn out with the iPhone 5. I will have to compare them to pictures that I take with the L920 to know which phone takes the better pictures with ME behind the shutter.

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
the ability to take a really sharp picture is there in the hardware, personally i like the slightly less saturated images the lumia pulls out, and if they can fix the softness with a firmware update like they say then the 920 will have the best camera hands down. plus the OIS and excellent low light ability pushes it over the top.

personally i haven't been that impressed with the iphone 5's pictures in the actual use i've had with friend's phones.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I forgot to add that it is dangerous to justify a piece of hardware by saying "a fix is coming". While it may be true, it also may not be. Phone OS updates around the board have been notorious for promising functionality and fixes that some people claim they notice right away and others claim they never noticed. Maybe this had something to do with the extremely strange launch information we got on the phones... although that doesn't explain the other makes and models.

And don't get me wrong. I am just as hopeful for the camera fix as anyone else out there. But if the phone doesn't take pictures to my satisfaction within the 14 day return period, I will likely take it back and re-buy it once the proper firmware is out and everything is fixed. This way I don't risk locking myself into a contract based on a promise I was made that never came to be.

jkrc717

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

Ya, it technically doesn't make sense.

Daytime shots out weigh nightime shots for me.

But like I said its neck and neck.

I'm sure when they give it some software updates, it won't even be an issue anymore.

jkrc717

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I forgot to add that it is dangerous to justify a piece of hardware by saying "a fix is coming". While it may be true, it also may not be. Phone OS updates around the board have been notorious for promising functionality and fixes that some people claim they notice right away and others claim they never noticed. Maybe this had something to do with the extremely strange launch information we got on the phones... although that doesn't explain the other makes and models.

And don't get me wrong. I am just as hopeful for the camera fix as anyone else out there. But if the phone doesn't take pictures to my satisfaction within the 14 day return period, I will likely take it back and re-buy it once the proper firmware is out and everything is fixed. This way I don't risk locking myself into a contract based on a promise I was made that never came to be.

I honestly suspect that the phone just wasn't ready. That's why there were no announcements and Nokia, Microsoft, ATT couldn't give a firm release date.

I also think they were like screw it. We need to get these things out there and we'll just promise to update them. I mean even Nokia drive is in beta.

Your point is very true, but the L920's hardware is better. So no matter what, the 920's camera should be better overall.

un hombre

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I have to say I owned iPhone 5 for 1 week and sold it, because I decided to go for Lumia 920 instead.

During the time, I made quite a bit of photos with it, and I have to say, that daytime photos, especially with HDR, are very impressive indeed.

Macro shots are really nice as well, although I noticed, that HDR or not, iPhone had a bit of problems with over-saturated reds.

Night shots were acceptable, lots of noise but still much better than majority of cameras.

I have seen many Lumia 920 photos, and while night shots are very nice and impressive as well, day time photos are - like we all now - blurry and lack detail.

I am not sure if it is Nokia's fault, because HTC's phone lacks detail as well. Maybe it's Windows Phone 8's fault, I don't know, it will be interesting to wait and see how other WP8 phones perform.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
^ I wouldn't say its Windows Phone's fault, but more like the OEMs haven't had enough time to optimize their drivers and processing software for it. Apple have their own platform, full control...just like Nokia did with their old platform, and that is a big +.. also, they have like 4-5 years of testing and perfecting their imaging software. Nokia had..one year tops.

Apple are utilizing the available camera module/optics set in the iphone 5 to the maximum.. its a pretty good achievement. Similar to what Nokia did with their Symbian based camera smartphones.

If you look in the android realm, its the same thing... there hasn't been one proper camera phone for 5-6 years now, they are all average at best. Even that new Samsung android camera is mediocre..

The camera isn't just about day time quality photos, we need a proper 1v1 test of day light, sunset/sunrise, portrait, low light no flash, low light flash, low light flash bar scene, flash group/portrait shot.

Also, having a camera button is a HUGE plus.

Also, we need a audio/video recording test between the two.

Also, 920 uses true 16:9 aspect ratio for both pictures and video, which is way wider than the iPhone 5.

Once that is done, we can see which camera package offers more to the end user, overall.

Last edited:

Gken

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I honestly suspect that the phone just wasn't ready. That's why there were no announcements and Nokia, Microsoft, ATT couldn't give a firm release date.

I also think they were like screw it. We need to get these things out there and we'll just promise to update them. I mean even Nokia drive is in beta.

Your point is very true, but the L920's hardware is better. So no matter what, the 920's camera should be better overall.

+1 same thing with the surface technically. They wanted to push it out asap, learning from (dare I say this?!?!) apple. Just get it out there and then push out updates, apps, and more.

chrgeorgeson

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
^ I wouldn't say its Windows Phone's fault, but more like the OEMs haven't had enough time to optimize their drivers and processing software for it. Apple have their own platform, full control...just like Nokia did with their old platform, and that is a big +.. also, they have like 4-5 years of testing and perfecting their imaging software. Nokia had..one year tops.

Apple are utilizing the available camera module/optics set in the iphone 5 to the maximum.. its a pretty good achievement. Similar to what Nokia did with their Symbian based camera smartphones.

If you look in the android realm, its the same thing... there hasn't been one proper camera phone for 5-6 years now, they are all average at best. Even that new Samsung android camera is mediocre..

The camera isn't just about day time quality photos, we need a proper 1v1 test of day light, sunset/sunrise, portrait, low light no flash, low light flash, low light flash bar scene, flash group/portrait shot.

Also, having a camera button is a HUGE plus.

Also, we need a audio/video recording test between the two.

Also, 920 uses true 16:9 aspect ratio for both pictures and video, which is way wider than the iPhone 5.

Once that is done, we can see which camera package offers more to the end user, overall.

You keep saying that they had a year to test this stuff out. MS and Nokia have been in bed with each other for over 18 months. You bet that MS gave them the earliest builds of WP8 so they could test it out, and they even had people from MS go to Nokia to work with them on this hardware.
I'm not saying that makes it any better or easier for Nokia to develop for WP8 but I can tell you that your average customer isn't going to care if the 'potential' is there in the Lumia 920 they just want the awesome camera to be great out of the box.
The day time pictures I've seen with these review units haven't been exactly stellar.

I'm not saying this to start a fight but Nokia really needs to step it up. Simple as that.

Necroscope

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm comparing the pictures from

Don't bite my head off. This is just my opinion.

Hard not to. I was all, like, 'hmm, not a lot of difference' through the daylight pictures. Then I got to the leaf on the curb. The 920 really popped on that one, maybe a little too much. Then I got to the waterfront and thought, 'the 920 didn't do so well with this one, too dark'. Then the pictures in low light, holy crap! The others should not even be called cameras compared to the 920. Two hairs?? The iPhone pics are the only other ones I would not immeadiatly delete. After seeing the 920's performance in low light, I would not keep the iPhone ones either.

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
OK, FIRST Off, he has the Seattle Waterfront pictures for the Lumia 920 and HTC 8x Swapped. You need to save those photos to your drive, bring them up, then check out the properties (exif data) and you will see which phone really took those pictures (For the Seattle Waterfront only.)

Last edited:

keizka

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
We're still talking about a complete change of developing environment here. HTC has been doing this with WinMo/WinPho far longer than Nokia. Sure, Nokia needs to step it up. That still doesn't excuse HTC and slightly lackluster camera performance on 8X.

Necroscope

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
OK, FIRST Off, he has is Seattle Waterfront pictures for the Lumia 920 and HTC 8x Swapped. You need to save those photos to your drive, bring them up, then check out the properties (exif data) and you will see which phone really took those pictures (For the Seattle Waterfront only.)

I honestly was thinking that base on the pictures, then thought maybe it was getting dark when he was taking the pictures. Then I saw the low light snaps and couldn't believe the same camera took those as took the waterfront pic.

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Second, ya, it seems that Nokia has some work to do to get the best of the hardware. There in camera processing just seems to aggressive

Third. Still, all the daytime shots would suffice for what just about everyone uses them for... Showing off a moment either on their phone, blog, FB, etc. Lowlight and Video with OIS is where the Nokia phone shines.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3