AAWP - Lumia 920 hardware review

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
"But the biggest factor is the way in which the device has been put together. Internally, and unusually for a unibody design, the Lumia 920 has a double frame design (full circuit board frame, and separate metal frame), and the screen assembly effectively acts as a third frame. While this internal design architecture, together with a number of related factors around materials tolerance and component positioning, adds extra weight, it also gives the Lumia 920 exceptional mechanical strength and durability, endowing it with a greater ability to endure drops, bumps, and other shocks (and means you're less likely to need a full protective case, with the added size and weight that this entails)."

Awesome!

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
^they have been doing that triple frame design for a while. The N8 was built the same way.. I think it helps with cooling as well. They really know how to put a phone together.

Also, you won't feel like you are going to brake in half if its in the back pocket of your jeans and you have to sit down.. like most of the other top smartphones, particularly certain Korean products.

Volume is what I care about... 99cc, slightly larger than my 808.. not bad, now my only worry is one handed use, which seems to be a pretty difficult task from all the videos I've seen so far

WMRPD.jpg

"Like most of its direct competitors, the Lumia 920 is beyond the boundary of universal one-hand usage, which is generally considered to be devices with a width of 60mm or less."

Spot on.

"However, the UI design of Windows Phone means, notably the presence of the universal back button below the screen and the large target areas when reaching for pivots and panoramas at the top of the screen, is, arguably, more accommodating for one handed usage than both Android and iOS, "

Agreed. iOS sucks in that regard... I still don't know why they have navigational buttons at the top, and at the bottom of the screen.. it worked fine with their older 3.5 inch screen with a more square like aspect ratio, but it doesn't with the 4 inch 16:9 screen.

Last edited:

Calot

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Now, that is a smart, comprehensive, intelligent review.

None of those 'mammoth weight', 'blatantly gigantic' retarded expressions.

It clearly states that is the heaviest of the flagships, but it defends it by saying there are A LOT of things you get with the weight.

Excellent review, in my opinion.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Wow, that review was extremely informative. Lightyears ahead of all the other reviews I've read. Plus, it was not only unbias, but also explained why the phone is heavier. This also helps me understand why there are no 'drop test' videos online yet, the bias reviewers are afraid of the truth = Lumia 920 is the best built phone there is.

rajkumr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
This is the best and the most detailed hardware review of the lumia 920.
Gizmodo's punk *** review wouldn't even come to 1/5th of this review!

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Rafe and Steve have been covering Nokia for a long, long time ... they are great guys and know what they are talking about, unlike most of the "big" blogs..

He made points I've been making all along.. especially about the weight issue. Nokia didn't just add weight to it for fun, there are very good reasons for it.

btw.. the screen on this thing is brilliant!

rajkumr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So do you say it's unbiased due to it being more positive than others?

Nope!
They say its a heavy phone, but they don't slam down on it, but explain how and why and the would be benefits.

Most of the other reviews just mentioned some of the features in passing, but every damn feature is explained and most have videos showing how it worked.

I wouldn't call it bias. I would call it thorough. So the reader can be the judge for themselves!

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
All we need now is GSMarena and anandtech .. I really wouldn't even bother reading the rest of them.

drop test

The only reason I might be interested in this is because I want to see if the glass can handle the overall weight of the phone. The chassis itself is obviously very strong, but the weight it carries won't help the glass on impact..

ky Phan

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
All we need now is GSMarena and anandtech .. I really wouldn't even bother reading the rest of them.

The only reason I might be interested in this is because I want to see if the glass can handle the overall weight of the phone. The chassis itself is obviously very strong, but the weight it carries won't help the glass on impact..
what if the glass detaches itself from the unibody?

And you can just pop the screen back on

LOL

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Positive words don't mean a bias review. What is bias or useless is when reviewers say, "Heavier than a brick" and then give zero explanation as to why or how it compares to real-world usage.

The AAWP review focused on what IS in the phone, why it's good or bad, how it compares to previous smartphones, etc. It's just giving facts with a little bit of enthusiasm (and rightly so, considering what's all in the phone).

I even saw one of the official (and very bias) reviews spend the whole time talking about how great the phone is, only to conclude in the final paragraph that the phone was terrible to use, not worth the buy, and that no one would enjoy it as a smartphone. And that was coming from a well known review website!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism