Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: What Platform were you using before getting a 920?

Voters
173. You may not vote on this poll
  • WP7- Blazing the trail!

58 33.53%
  • iOS- I'm recovering from the faux-leather

51 29.48%
  • Android- Finally just wanted something that just works

35 20.23%
  • Feature phone- I've just left the stone-age, this is my first smartphone

9 5.20%
  • Other- RIP Palm/webOS :(

13 7.51%
  • Multiple - yes, I have a problem

7 4.05%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Hi everyone!

I'm a WP newbie coming from Android (OG Droid>DInc>Droid Bionic) and I keep having debates with my iOS friend about who is going to lose more if/when WP becomes a major player. We both think the new lineup of WP devices is really compelling (he's actually admitted to me that he's itching to buy a 920, but can't leave the iOS ecosystem with all the money he's spent on apps at this point.) So I'm curious to see where everyone who is jumping on the WP8 bandwagon is coming from? Looking forward to dev'ing new apps for WP in the near future!

Cheers!
    clmbngbkng likes this.

Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Dude! Where is the poll!

Anyways long time windows mobile user to iOS now going back to windows phone with the Lumia 920!

I have used EVERY iPhone since the original. Don't get me wrong... I love my iPhone... but... I'm getting bored. Plus, AT&T didn't give me a discounted price on the new iPhone. I'm giving myself a one year test. I'm buying the no commitment Lumia 920 from AT&T. If it's amazing, then I'll happily stick with WP! If it sucks, then in a year, I'll switch to the iPhone 6.

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I'm coming off of Android, and iOS before that. I'm really excited to try WP8. It looks great and easy to use.

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Sorry! lol...boss wanted to chat! ...and I was thinking of clever catchphrases for each of the options ;)

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    I've owned just about every mobile platform one could own... At the moment I'm switching from an iPhone 4S.

My mobile OS history is pretty much... 3GS, Blackberry, 3GS, Droid Inc, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, now Lumia 920. I keep ending up back with Apple... Here's hoping WP8 is the silver bullet in Apple's head for me!
    clmbngbkng likes this.

iPhone 4. Making the switch today!
    tissotti likes this.

PIN
    No
    I own every platform, but my primary phone is a Windows Phone 7 device, and my secondary device is an Android.
    prjkthack
    Nokia Lumia 830, Nokia Lumia 1020, iPhone 6
    Surface Pro 128GB
    from iPhone 4 (iOS)

proud stone-age denizen right here

I'm a phone freak so i'm all over the map.

iPhone 4S, Nokia N9 (MeeGo), Galaxy S2, Lumia 800 and Nokia 808 PureView (Symbian) are the phones i own now.
    Next one will be Lumia 920.

I'm moving more towards tablets so the no-nonsense kind of smartphone UI that iOS and WP (and why not MeeGo) are now more to my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by corsica View Post
    proud stone-age denizen right here
    Me too! I have waited about 8 months to find a great smartphone to upgrade too. I thought for a long time about getting an iPhone and was deadset on getting the new one. However, a few months ago I saw news about the Lumia 920 and my entire mindset changed. I had heard about WP from a friend and loved the layout. I was ecstatic to find a great phone with looks I really loved. Cannot wait to get mine Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah P View Post
    Me too! I have waited about 8 months to find a great smartphone to upgrade too. I thought for a long time about getting an iPhone and was deadset on getting the new one. However, a few months ago I saw news about the Lumia 920 and my entire mindset changed. I had heard about WP from a friend and loved the layout. I was ecstatic to find a great phone with looks I really loved. Cannot wait to get mine Saturday.
    interesting, same thing here. got the feature phone in 2009 and started looking to update around this time last year. Wasn't too impressed with the 4S so I decided to get the new one, but that one didn't blow me away either :D

Global Posts
    629 Global Posts
    From iPhone (4) here as well. Looking forward to the change.

Maemo. While I do have Optimus 7 too, thus familiar with WP, N900 is my daily driver. So other.

Symbian should be included in the poll .. its Nokia own platform, so hopefully a lot of people will be upgrading to 920 from that, and not going android.

I have an iphone 5 and two Symbian phones.. next is 920.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,699 Global Posts
    I come from an iPhone 5.

I am coming from maemo5

Nice to see some other Maemo and MeeGo users here. :D
    andraeseus likes this.

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vlad0 View Post
    Symbian should be included in the poll .. its Nokia own platform, so hopefully a lot of people will be upgrading to 920 from that, and not going android.

I have an iphone 5 and two Symbian phones.. next is 920.
    Ahh, I knew I was missing an option. I'll see if I can possibly edit the poll. Never had the opportunity to really mess with a Symbian device. What should the witty catchphrase for symbian be?

Was a die hard Nokia fan (Symbian s60 all the way) but eventually gave it and decided to go for iPhone 4 when my 4th or 5th N95 died and Nokia failed to keep up. I will admit I loved it at first, and I do still quite like it now but will be glad to switch to WP8! Just waiting for my red Lumia 920 to arrive, can't wait!!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    19,947 Global Posts
    WP, Android, iOS, BlackBerry and WebOS!

All =)

WPCentral Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | CrackBerry Mod

Global Posts
    2,544 Global Posts
    Yeah, lacking Symbian which still like only 4 years back was the biggest smartphone OS :P

As for a witty comment, perhaps focus on it's capability and freedom at the expense of fluidity and user experience.

I come from N8, which runs Symbian^3 Belle.

Global Posts
    2,287 Global Posts
    Not quite sure what you mean by "faux leather" in the poll (obviously, I'm coming from the iOS platform), but yeah... I'm not getting a 920 just yet, getting the 810 on launch on Wednesday and very, very possibly getting the 920 (hopefully in yellow) in a few months. Looking very much forward to going WP8! :D

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by metalchick719 View Post
    Not quite sure what you mean by "faux leather" in the poll (obviously, I'm coming from the iOS platform), but yeah... I'm not getting a 920 just yet, getting the 810 on launch on Wednesday and very, very possibly getting the 920 (hopefully in yellow) in a few months. Looking very much forward to going WP8! :D
    I'm referring to the really tacky skeuomorphism that's all too abundant in certain iOS apps. This is a great article addressing it. I personally am not a fan of it at all, but the author makes a good point as to why it's there. The recently ousted VP was the guy behind a lot of it. (Can't remember his name off the top of my head.)

Andy Mangold
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast