Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: What Platform were you using before getting a 920?

Voters
173. You may not vote on this poll
  • WP7- Blazing the trail!

58 33.53%
  • iOS- I'm recovering from the faux-leather

51 29.48%
  • Android- Finally just wanted something that just works

35 20.23%
  • Feature phone- I've just left the stone-age, this is my first smartphone

9 5.20%
  • Other- RIP Palm/webOS :(

13 7.51%
  • Multiple - yes, I have a problem

7 4.05%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Quote Originally Posted by cancerkilla23 View Post
    Ahh, I knew I was missing an option. I'll see if I can possibly edit the poll. Never had the opportunity to really mess with a Symbian device. What should the witty catchphrase for symbian be?
    Symbian/MeeGo user here too.

"Gentlemen, it has been a privilege playing with you."
    cancerkilla23 likes this.

Long-time iOS user. Switching from my iPhone 4 today!!!

Global Posts
    1,421 Global Posts
    I was thinking "faux leather" in terms of the backs of the BB Bolds. But Blackberry is missing from the options. I guess "Other" will have to do. Poor RIM forgotten again.........
    Thanked by:

I was on iOS, then moved to Android couple of years ago and now can't wait to switch to WP. I think MS finally has got it together. I can't help but admire the Windows 8 PCs and tablets, I am hoping I'll get the same experience on a phone.

Great poll, very interesting results so far. Almost even between the top 3.

I've had all 3 and this is the 1st time I'm staying in the same family.

You get treated in life the way you teach people to treat you.― Wayne W. Dyer
    ;)

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by experiment626 View Post
    I was thinking "faux leather" in terms of the backs of the BB Bolds. But Blackberry is missing from the options. I guess "Other" will have to do. Poor RIM forgotten again.........
    Good point, this is what happens when you write a poll in quick haste while at work! I actually had a BB Storm way back in the day (not as bad as it got a rap for, IMO). I'm curious to see what BB10 can do if WP8 doesn't make a serious push in the holiday season. RIM is dropping the ball giving WP8 a holiday season head start...I think they need to hit a grand slam with this in order to have a chance.

In the meantime, if you could answer under 'other' that would be great! I'm going to do a write-up of the results after launch weekend, so any feedback is really appreciated!

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Well.. i left my beloved webOS that i have used since day one. Started on my Palm Pre, then on a HP Veer and i was one of the "lucky" once to get a HP Pre 3 which was my main phone until this Monday, when i bought the Lumia 920.

WebOS was a great OS. It had inductive charging from day one and even still has a few advantages over what i am seeing on android, ios and now wp8. ( Talking about the cards / multitasking and the notification led on the device )

But .. i don t regret going to WP8. I love it so far for many reasons. I love the tiles and the HUB views in different applications. The great keyboard with its suggestions. Voice recognition. The Nokia map stuff etc. The Nokia Lumia 920 is super fast and solid and takes awesome pictures.
    LeeWarner and nyquistjack like this.

Coming from the following smartphones:
    iPhone 3G > iPhone 4 > Cyan 920 (out for delivery today!)

Pretty excited to get away from Apple since I use Windows for everything.

Really impressive that more iOS and more Android users are switching than people coming over from WP7. I find a lot of android and iOS diehards hating the platform without even looking at it.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    19,947 Global Posts
    "Multiple - yes, I have a problem"

:D

WPCentral Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | CrackBerry Mod

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    3rd generation iOS user

Original, 3G, 4

Coming from WP7, had a Samsung Focus since it came out....its time for a new phone

Moving from Harmattan to WP8 must be difficult... a lot of people that use it are kind of hardcore linux/open source guys, so going the Microsoft route won't be easy. Also.. It was Nokia's own "home grown" platform, and for Nokia users, that has been the symbol of independence for a long, long time.. with the help of Symbian of course.

Quote Originally Posted by cancerkilla23 View Post
    . What should the witty catchphrase for symbian be?
    I dunno.. tricky.. but its an important one. There is still a pretty substantial user base, and I think Nokia is trying hard to keep them from going to android, which seems like the more "natural" transition..

I really don't like android for a lot of different reasons, so.. I am glad Nokia didn't go there, that would have been the end of the line for me. On the other hand I've always liked Microsoft, so..it works out. I mean, its really sad to see what they did to Symbian and MeeGo, that was a bit too much, but.. whatever.
    How is Symbian not an option?

N8 user myself...

Quote Originally Posted by kevhanson View Post
    If it sucks, then in a year, I'll switch to the iPhone 6.
    You mean the iPhone 5S?

--------------------

I'm swithing from iPhone 4 to Lumia 920 .
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
    Yeah, lacking Symbian which still like only 4 years back was the biggest smartphone OS :P

As for a witty comment, perhaps focus on it's capability and freedom at the expense of fluidity and user experience.

I come from N8, which runs Symbian^3 Belle.
    4 years back?! It was the biggest smartphone OS still this year.

January 2012 web usage:

Symbian 31.89%
    IOS 24.04%
    Android 23.21%

October 2012:

Android 30.19%
    IOS 23.72%
    Symbian 11.7% (combined with series40 26.7%)

It also was still the highest selling platform when Nokia announced going WP and abandoning Symbian.

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Hey mods, any chance you can sticky this so I keep getting responses as people get it through the weekend?

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    IPhone 5. I was looking for a change.

Its really nice to see Nokia users come together regardless of which platform they are coming from.. we have Symbian users, MeeGo users, and now Windows Phone users.. which seems to be able to convert a lot of iOS and Android users.

I like Symbian, but there was no way they could have convinced someone that is using an iPhone to buy a phone with Symbian, like they are doing now with Windows.. No matter how good the UX, the negative press around it was really heavy, and the US based carriers never liked it for some reason..

Maemo/Harmattan .. same thing, it would have been really hard to penetrate the US market.

Quote Originally Posted by DungMasterFang View Post
    It also was still the highest selling platform when Nokia announced going WP and abandoning Symbian.
    Nokia sold more Symbian phones last quarter as well.. which doesn't really mean anything, but still..

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Coming from Windows Phone 7 (Samsung Focus S), and I've had an iPhone, Android, Blackberry, and WinMo devices in the past.

I just picked up my Lumia 920 about four hours ago, and it's freakin' amazing.

My Focus S will now be my timer/pseudo iPod Touch during my jogging sessions. I'd like to thank my Focus S for a year of great service, and for introducing me to Windows Phone.

The Samsung Focus S is the girl you date....the Nokia Lumia 920 is the one you marry.

Global Posts
    811 Global Posts
    I am coming from android technically, but even after a year using it I never considered myself an android user. I was always biding my time til I could get a windows phone. When I saw the 920 was $100 and the wireless charging came with it I decided to pat my etf and jump sprint to att to get one.

I said to my wife that Nokia is doing what palm should have done. Undercut the other flagship phones by half and include the wireless charger. Well, that and make the hardware solid.

Glad to be on a decent OS again. I will forever miss webOS and nothing will ever match it (multitasking on wp8 is absolute garbage).

Quote Originally Posted by Beatmaster99 View Post
    Well.. i left my beloved webOS that i have used since day one. Started on my Palm Pre, then on a HP Veer and i was one of the "lucky" once to get a HP Pre 3 which was my main phone until this Monday, when i bought the Lumia 920.

WebOS was a great OS. It had inductive charging from day one and even still has a few advantages over what i am seeing on android, ios and now wp8. ( Talking about the cards / multitasking and the notification led on the device )

But .. i don t regret going to WP8. I love it so far for many reasons. I love the tiles and the HUB views in different applications. The great keyboard with its suggestions. Voice recognition. The Nokia map stuff etc. The Nokia Lumia 920 is super fast and solid and takes awesome pictures.
    webOS Refugee. Now a Windows Phone 7 (HTC Arrive) refugee and an Android escapee (evo 3d) back on my original Pre for now. Looking forward to a killer device on ATT so I can dump Sprint and get back into the WP7.5 world.

If you are a fellow webOS refugee, visit this thread for some getting started tips.

http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...ion/180046.htm

"Symbian - The king is finally dead" ? It did rule the smartphone world for almost a decade.. now its just a zombie OS waiting to die.

Quote Originally Posted by nyquistjack View Post
    I will forever miss webOS and nothing will ever match it (multitasking on wp8 is absolute garbage).
    Never had the pleasure to use WebOS, but I've used Nokia's Harmattan, and from what I hear it rivals WebOS in terms of multitasking and usability in general. After all.. Peter Skillman was the guy behind both projects, so.. similarities are to be expected I guess.

I am going to miss the multitasking on Symbian a lot.. its properly done, and its really hard to go back in a any way. Multitasking on iOS 6 is way behind Symbian..I still don't understand why, the hardware on the iphone 5 is almost twice as powerful as the one on my 808, and still... so restrictive.

Anyway, there were couple of videos from the Microsoft Build conference that made me feel a bit better about it... at least they trying to "mask" the pausing of the apps as well as they could.
    Last edited by vlad0; 11-10-2012 at 12:43 AM.

We are on a roll here. I noticed that at least 60% of the converts actually comes from non-WP platform. This is really promising & potentially epochal ;)
    PS. I've been with WP since day 1.
    Trophy -> White L900 -> Upcoming L920.

Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    I've got a Galaxy Nexus and iPhone 5...and just ordered the 920. I don't intend to "leave" any platform, but rather use and enjoy the unique benefits of all of them. Of course...I'm not normal=/

All I want is an HTC-designed phone with Nokia materials & camera, a WP software UI/UX, Android's openness for app/OS ties and integration, and iOS's app quality/update commitment/catalog breadth...is that too much to ask?!
    Current: Lumia 1020 (unlocked, international), Dell Venue Pro 8, Acer Aspire S7 (2013)
    Past: Samsung Focus, HTC Radar, Lumia 710, Lumia 920, HTC 8X, Lumia 521, Lumia 925, Surface RT
    Current non-WP: Nexus 5

Came from HP Veer on WebOS, Pre before that, and just about every palm phone back to the Samsung I300 (was around 2000-2001?). Miss throwing away a card to close an app and having a phone that really fit in my pocket, but that is about it.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast