Glossy is horrible compared to matte

Toolzero

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I just got back from my local AT&T store. I really want a yellow 920, but I was afraid of what i've been reading about the glossy so I went to check out the black matte vs the red and white glossy.

Whoever the knucklehead at Nokia is who approved the glossy phones should be fired. All 920 colors should be matte.

The second you touch the glossy case you get to see all of the grease from your three previous meals. It's nasty. The glossy case also makes the phone feel like a plastic cased phone, which to me feels cheap, and it's a little slippery to hold. Not much, but it doesn't feel solid like the matte, it feels greasy.

The black matte case is excellent. You can't see or feel any grease at all. It's a lot more pleasant to hold and doesn't feel like plastic. The overall look and feel of the black matte phone is outstanding.

I'm now going to order a matte cyan 920. I'm really glad I waited and didn't jump on the yellow phone before I felt and saw the difference. I would have been unhappy.

I know plenty of people are happy with the glossy cases, and that's great. But if you are like me and this issue is important to you, you've been warned. Check both cases out before you buy if you can.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I just got back from my local AT&T store. I really want a yellow 920, but I was afraid of what i've been reading about the glossy so I went to check out the black matte vs the red and white glossy.

Whoever the knucklehead at Nokia is who approved the glossy phones should be fired. All 920 colors should be matte.

The second you touch the glossy case you get to see all of the grease from your three previous meals. It's nasty. The glossy case also makes the phone feel like a plastic cased phone, which to me feels cheap, and it's a little slippery to hold. Not much, but it doesn't feel solid like the matte, it feels greasy.

The black matte case is excellent. You can't see or feel any grease at all. It's a lot more pleasant to hold and doesn't feel like plastic. The overall look and feel of the black matte phone is outstanding.

I'm now going to order a matte cyan 920. I'm really glad I waited and didn't jump on the yellow phone before I felt and saw the difference. I would have been unhappy.

I know plenty of people are happy with the glossy cases, and that's great. But if you are like me and this issue is important to you, you've been warned. Check both cases out before you buy if you can.
I agree. Matte is way better. The glossy is probably the biggest fingerprint magnet that I've ever seen and that's not exaggerating one bit. Just terrible.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Well all of our hands are different.
Have had glossy white N9 since it's release in 2011 and have had no problems Also own cyan Lumia 800.

mcphersc

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Fingerprints really aren't a big deal to me. I think the glossy red is really great looking. I got a zagg invisishield on it tho and it kinda makes the back of the phone look/feel matte

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Useless thread for a first post from the OP. Glossy, flat, shiny, matte finish. Who cares? It's all subjective. One isn't better than the other.

electricbopeep

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Had a glossy white 900 and loved it. Now have glossy red, which I thought I would really dislike and it turns out that I'm really feeling it. Would've liked matte gray but I'm happy with the red.

pike1783

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Loved the red but was covered by prints and smudges within 20 seconds of holding and using in store. White was the same but harder to see the prints on it at certain angles. I've been using my black one since 9 this morning and still looks perfect. I would have considered the other colors had they been matte. I kept eying the red in store but every time I picked it back up I kept thinking of how often i had to clean prints off my iPhone and Focus.

mbmullins76

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I went to my ATT store this morning set on getting a red or white phone. After looking at the white and black side by side, I really liked the matte finish. Wish more colors were offered matte.

Toolzero

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I know to some people the finish doesn't matter. And that's great. But to a lot of people I know this is a significant concern, so I thought I would contribute my first hand experience. There is no reason to attack me.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I know to some people the finish doesn't matter. And that's great. But to a lot of people I know this is a significant concern, so I thought I would contribute my first hand experience. There is no reason to attack me.

The reason you were "attacked" to use you word, is because of the tone of your post. "Glossy is horrible" and "knuckleheads" and words like that gives your post a negative tone. Maybe if you word it as "Glossy is horrible, IMO" or something like that. That's what I mean by it's all subjective.

Also, it doesn't matter what phone you use. Eating three meals and not washing your hands will leave marks on any phone.

ozziegt

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I was going to get matte cyan but then I saw matte black in the store as well as glossy white and I went with white. Looks a lot sharper IMO. But yeah fingerprints are a problem.

wenw

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Fingerprints really aren't a big deal to me. I think the glossy red is really great looking. I got a zagg invisishield on it tho and it kinda makes the back of the phone look/feel matte

May I know where to buy the zagg invisishield? Ebay? I checked Amazon, but all the invisishields are "pre-order" and won't be available until mid-Novmember... And how does it work? Easy to install?

ozziegt

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The Zagg might be OK for the back of the phone but do not get it for the screen. I would check ebay. You put it on like a screen protector. IIRC you mist the Zagg with water to lubricate, put it on, get rid of any air bubbles and then let it dry.

robinleck

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
My glossy red looks like a work of art. It doesn't feel cheap and plastic, it feels almost like ceramic.

Can't help not chiming in on what you've said. I own a white glossy 900. And it really feels like premium ceramic.
To each his own, cheap looking or not is a matter of perception. Enjoy your 920 !!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)