Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Is there a way to turn off the vibration at all?? It gets really annoying when I'm texting in quiet environment...

Quote Originally Posted by Villain View Post
    floating lens... am I the only one who expected this? I don't see it as a problem BUT people should have expected the vibration to rattle with a floating lens.
    sorry but that's rubbish. Other Nokia phones including the older Lumias rattle as well, and they don't have the OIS tech of the 920. I doubt the floating lens is unsuspended when not in use anyway, kind of how a hard drive arm parks at the side when done to not damage the disks if suddenly moved
    Has zero to do with the lens. All Lumias would rattle then

Quote Originally Posted by psyberjay View Post
    Is there a way to turn off the vibration at all?? It gets really annoying when I'm texting in quiet environment...
    Settings->System->ringtones+sounds

Mine does the same thing, my phone was laying on the table and my wife asked if it was broken. I'm going to hold off on returning it due to this thread. It does seem like it makes the phone better in pocket at actually feeling the phone, my IPhone4 I don't really feel sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by clmbngbkng View Post
    The title says it all. Whenever the phone vibrates it sounds like something is rattling inside. I've tried holding in the SIM card tray but that wasn't it. It isn't the buttons on the side.

Anyone else have this issue?

EDIT: Adding video of it here.

EDIT 2: Yes, we get that not everyone has this issue or might not be bothered by it. We're still trying to figure it out.
    Just sounds like the ceramic buttons vibrating to me. Maybe I'm missing something.

Mine sounds the same. If anything I thought it was too quiet. Maybe my iPhone 4 was just really loud because of the case it had or something... dunno.

Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    Guys, go back and change your phones, I got a Black one on Launch day, it had the loud rattle issue, did and exchange cuz it has dust under the camera lens, that one did had the rattle issue as well, today I went to the store to swap for a White one( I was waiting for the manager to call me) it was a new shipment they got today, this White one is perfect, no rattle at all.

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Just to quell my paranoia, I wanted to see if the slight rattle I hear when my phone vibrates is normal for the Lumia 920. I went to two different AT&T stores in my area, and tested out four display models. They all make the same exact slight rattle when they vibrate.

I think that's pretty good evidence that this is how the phone is supposed to sound.
    Wow, obviously some of you aren't paying attention lol, this is NOT normal. Wasn't normal on the 900, isn't normal on the 920. The many users who have proper devices are proof of this. My original 900 rattled, 4 weeks & 14 devices later, I got one that didn't

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    I've been talking with Nokia support on Twitter. If you have this issue then contact them and start the dialogue.

Quote Originally Posted by clmbngbkng View Post
    I've been talking with Nokia support on Twitter. If you have this issue then contact them and start the dialogue.
    could you back that up with some links?

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I sent an email to Nokia Support asking about the vibration/rattle thing.

Just to be clear, the vibration on my Lumia doesn't bother me at all. I do, however, want to know if my device is defective. If it's defective, and the defect may cause issues down the road, I'd replace it.

Anyhow, I emailed Nokia Customer support, and I've attached a screen shot of Nokia's response.

I guess I'll forgive their misspelling of "rattling". They're Finnish, after all.

This response, along with checking out the demos at a couple of stores exhibiting the same vibration rattle, leads me to believe that these are how the phones are made.

And to those who believe otherwise...hope you find/have found a device you enjoy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nokia-email.jpg  
    I have a hard time swallowing that when I have heard devices that don't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroscope View Post
    It is actually the earth's gravitational field shifting in response to this massively heavy device's vibration!
    This made me ACTUALLY laugh out loud. I almost woke up the baby!

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTGZ View Post
    The top by the headphone jack was loose. I could press down on it and it would pop. It also had a few dead pixels.
    I think you hit the nail on the head with this. The top of my phone pops and creaks near the headphone jack if you push straight down. The bottom of the phone is not loose like this. This could be the exact cause of the vibration rattle. The case is not seated properly at the top of the phone causing it to rattle when set to vibrate.

I've noticed in apps such as "Massager" that it has varying levels of vibration intensity. If someone could create an app that would apply this theory to our vibration function tied to the notification services, then we could throttle down the vibration on notifications. Reducing the vibration greatly reduces the risk of the "Rattle" we're experiencing. I'd pay a dollar or two for that! Get to work! :P

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I have not downloaded the SDK yet but I don't think that this is possible without rooting
    Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro2_248 using Board Express

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Rodriguez Jr. View Post
    Wow, obviously some of you aren't paying attention lol, this is NOT normal. Wasn't normal on the 900, isn't normal on the 920. The many users who have proper devices are proof of this. My original 900 rattled, 4 weeks & 14 devices later, I got one that didn't
    See you have way more patience than me. There is NO way I would make it anywhere close to 14 devices before I'm just like, "F this.. getting something different".

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by InnocuousScreenname View Post
    I sent an email to Nokia Support asking about the vibration/rattle thing.

Just to be clear, the vibration on my Lumia doesn't bother me at all. I do, however, want to know if my device is defective. If it's defective, and the defect may cause issues down the road, I'd replace it.

Anyhow, I emailed Nokia Customer support, and I've attached a screen shot of Nokia's response.

I guess I'll forgive their misspelling of "rattling". They're Finnish, after all.

This response, along with checking out the demos at a couple of stores exhibiting the same vibration rattle, leads me to believe that these are how the phones are made.

And to those who believe otherwise...hope you find/have found a device you enjoy.
    That's interesting because I contacted Nokia US and they are looking into it more. There is something going on.

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    normal or not, this is the most hilarious sounding vibrate pattern ever pulled off on a phone. the initial mini-pop to hard motor sound... lol. if so many lemons weren't floating out there, i'd consider exchanging but for now i'm ok just having a funny phone.

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Went to a corporate store tonight to exchange my phone. While waiting for a rep, I tested both 920's they had on display...both rattled. The three replacement phones the rep brought out for me all rattled too. I ended up not exchanging my phone as it doesn't exhibit any of the other build quality issues. I guess it is what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mpm277 View Post
    See you have way more patience than me. There is NO way I would make it anywhere close to 14 devices before I'm just like, "F this.. getting something different".
    No point in switching, Nokia has made the best device ever with the best support. I'm waiting until a new shipment comes into my store here to switch it

It's even worse if your phone happens to be upside down in your pocket, or in a backpack. Whatever is causing the rattle is exaggerated by the phone being turned upside down.

Global Posts
    4,203 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    Coming from a phone where there vibrate function often chose not to work and when it did it wasn't really that noticeable I was looking for a phone that would vibrate so I notice it. The 920 ticks that box for me pretty well. I did notice the other day that the very first part of the vibration does make a slight rattle but it doesn't bother me at all and if Nokia themselves are saying its not an issue that sort of settles the issue for me. I noticed that when there's a call and I move the phone I only hear the tone anyway so it makes it even more of a non issue as that's the only time I'd really get any sort of prolonged vibrate issue.

Its not the rattle I am concerned about, its the time. if i am in my office, I noticed that any sms or whatsapp mesg does a 3 step rattle, which is way too long that I have switched it off. Now I miss some of my emails and messgs when I am in office. HMM.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast