Vibrate makes it sound like it is falling apart

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
In a business environment a vibra sound that loud and disrupting would be unacceptable. Would be a deal-breaker for me.

HTCs have a great vibra sound that is very assertive but not loud.

psyberjay

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I went to AT&T store to possibly exchange my 920 to a new device, and other l920 had the same rattling. The sales rep told me that's how the phone was made and there's nothing they could do about it so I just came back home. Nice way to waste an hour and a half.

octavian90

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
In a business environment a vibra sound that loud and disrupting would be unacceptable. Would be a deal-breaker for me.

HTCs have a great vibra sound that is very assertive but not loud.

honestly the claims are a little exaggerated. Its a little annoying but hardly disruptive. Could be a bit softer that's all.

clmbngbkng

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
I find it hilarious that no reviews mentioned this noise as a fault...also find it strange that Nokia engineers preferred not to fix it.

I also find it very interesting that it wasn't mentioned in any review. This is what makes me think it is a problem with our handsets and not every 920.

honestly the claims are a little exaggerated. Its a little annoying but hardly disruptive. Could be a bit softer that's all.

I'd be thrilled if it was quieter. I want to keep the phone, just want the vibrate motor to not announce to everyone in the room that it is on. I want to still use vibrate mode while in class, work, and church.

Last edited:

theecosystem

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
it's annoying enough that some folks are saying they'll pass on the phone. to others it's just a minor annoyance. if i were in the phone business, i'd want both of those people to buy buy my phones so i'd engineer the buzz out of the phones which must be pretty simple and cheap given that most phones don't do this. look how far that level of attention to detail has gotten apple.

monotheist

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
If the vibration makes a loud sound it completely defeats the purpose of vibration as the phone is NO longer on Silent mode and highly likely its bothering other people around you. [@ Meetings, seminars etc] I put my phone on vibration for the sole purpose not to be the disturbing one.

igoramadas

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
If the vibration makes a loud sound it completely defeats the purpose of vibration as the phone is NO longer on Silent mode and highly likely its bothering other people around you. [@ Meetings, seminars etc] I put my phone on vibration for the sole purpose not to be the disturbing one.

Fair enough. But if I'm in a "quiet" meeting/seminar then I prefer just having the phone on silent mode and outside my pocket, so if the screen comes up I know there's something going on. It will disturb others as much as someone trying to get his phone (and a big one!) out of his pocket.

When someone had the brilliant idea of the vibration function a few years ago, I'm pretty sure it was meant to be used on noisy environments where you can't hear the phone, so in this case you would feel it. And for this purpose the Lumia 920 is a champ.

But once again I also do not think it's a nice sound, it sounds and feels harsh, but as long as it's not affecting anything else than I'm happy with it. That's a minor detail I can easily live with. If it does affect, then I'm sure Nokia will exchange it and in this case I'll probably get a brand new, scratch-free, freshly baked phone after a few weeks.

If someone isn't happy with it... then go for the HTC 8X, it's also a really good phone and apparently it has a smooth, lovely, orgasm-giving vibration.

Last edited:

PBNkapamilya

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry, but the vibration's a non-issue for me. I own a Nokia 3110c (5-year-old feature phone, I know, but I'm definitely switching to Lumia 920 once it gets here in our country), and it does vibrate loudly, but I don't really mind. Almost all Nokia models vibrate loudly. I could even say it's a ringtone in itself which I could hear if I don't feel the vibration enough.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I really do think a lot of you don't know what we mean. My 900 had a strong vibrate after I got a "fixed" one. This isn't strong, this is a rattle from inside the phone. We know the difference, as did 900 users, & Nokia, who acknowledged back then that it shouldn't sound like that

jenjen4u

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, ive owned alot of nokias, And at the moment have a dual sim one aswell as my L920, My dual sim nokia vibrates way stronger than L920 i always find i jump out of shock by the vibrations of a Nokia phone. in my opinion all we really need is vibration strength adjuster to suit our preference. I got a vibration adjuster on my dual sim nokia and definitely makes a difference with the vibration

goldie_rt

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
At the suggestion of Nokia's help, I took it back (knowing it would not fix the issue). It's pretty obnoxious and I refuse to believe the sound is 'normal' (and if it is, I'm even more concerned, because it sounds so cheap), but I'll deal with it for now.
Worst case scenario, I have another line due for upgrade in May, but hopefully this will sort itself out.
Still a great phone otherwise.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte