Is it legal or illegal for AT&T keeps locking the full retailed price phone?

ouchyoung

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering whether AT&T keeps locking the 920 purchased at the full retailed price is correct or not. As I chose to purchase it at full price, it means I didn't get any benefit from AT&T, why does AT&T still have the power to lock my phone to their own network to kill my rights for choice?

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering whether AT&T keeps locking the 920 purchased at the full retailed price is correct or not. As I chose to purchase it at full price, it means I didn't get any benefit from AT&T, why does AT&T still have the power to lock my phone to their own network to kill my rights for choice?
You can get it unlocked.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

Because that's allowed in the U.S. I don't like it either, that's why I always buy unlocked/unbranded phones. I know the FCC has tried to regulate wireless carriers a little, with things like net neutrality, but the wireless carriers start screaming about getting regulations and the government out of their lives.

I guess we can't win. :D

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Why would it be illegal, it is their branded phone which means they can have it locked for their services only especially when they have 6-month exclusivity. If you want an unlocked phone, go get one from another retailer that is unbranded.

The benefit of you paying full price is that you are not stuck with a contrat and can cancel at any point. Also at some point, you will be able to unlock through ATT or a 3rd party.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Now or in 6 months like the Lumia 900?
Right away...? Unlockers can't do it either? Or one of those sim cards that people used with the iPhone devices? I don't keep up with the unlocking scene any more as I use AT&T primarily and don't use any other GSM carrier.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site

invisik

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
The AT&T rep at my corporate store said they will give you an unlock code in 3 situations:

1. You buy it for the full price up front, get an unlock code that day
2. You finish out a 2-year agreement
3. You pay early termination to get out ofa 3 year agreement

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
The AT&T rep at my corporate store said they will give you an unlock code in 3 situations:

1. You buy it for the full price up front, get an unlock code that day
2. You finish out a 2-year agreement
3. You pay early termination to get out ofa 3 year agreement

If it's an exclusive device... ugh. Someone I know has a HTC Vivid. It's, "AT&T exclusive," and now discontinued by the manufacture (HTC... I *do* wonder why their star is fading). Now, AT&T says it will not be unlocked, as it is 100% exclusive to them. Well, that settles it. Since my contract is up, I'm moving to T-Mobile. Google Nexus phones have an unwritten target of being developed for T-Mobile, anyways (if you need to buy an android phone, for any reason).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3