High Sensitivity Touch doesn't work

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Question: Do you have a screen cover on your phone? I put a zagg on mine. It still worked with fingernails and thing gloves, but thicket gloves did not. As soon as I removed it, it worked fine with just about anything I threw at it. I haven't touched the sensitivity settings ever.

blazing_dragon360

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I was testing this out and was bothered at first because it didn't work using keys or other objects either. It appears that my phone doesn't enable high sensitivity immediately even though the setting is ON. For example I'd have to put my key on the screen for about 3 seconds before the phone would sense it. From there the screen is very sensitive and I can control it with any metal object or even thick clothes to emulate a glove.

Not sure if this is the default experience for all 920s or just my phone being quirky.

Darus214

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
If you google how this screen works, it basically adapts to the input. I can sometimes use it without even touching it, just my finger hovering over the screen. With that said, it think the screen calibrates to the input provided right after you unlock the phone. So if you unlock with your finger, it will look for a capacitive input. If you unlock the phone with a fork or glove, it will turn that sensitivity up and allow for touch that isnt your finger. Basically it tries to adapt which is why some people might have a problem at times because its looking for a different type of input.

maks327

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I agree. To the OP, I was thinking the same thing, that my super sensitive screen just wasn't working.

But the above posters are correct, the screen adjusts. Try taking the fork or a pen with a metal cap and hold it to the screen for just a couple of seconds. It works perfectly after that. I think this explains why your use is hit or miss, sometimes you're not leaving the item in contact long enough for the screen to figure out it needs to go into super sensitive mode.

I'm pumped! This phone just keeps getting awesomer and awesomer.

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am wondering. Does anybody have a drawing app like draw something? I tested this with the end of a paper clip and after a tiny delay of first sensing it I can use the paperclip end on the screen (very carefully). Does it replicate drawing with a stylus in these apps?

This might be great for notetaking apps if we can get a metal tipped stylus (like a Wacom stylus with a metal end that will not damage the screen).

sudakoma

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Just tested a few items I had lying around my desk, here are my results:

Works

Keys
Tape measure (but only the metal tape part, the plastic case didn't work)
Ipod touch
Finger wrapped in thick woolly jumper ;)
DVD disk

Didn't Work

Any type of pen
Stapler
Cheque book
Screwdriver

Seems a bit hit and miss to me with the type of material that works but as long as it works with or without gloves I'm happy.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Gotta say pmouse I love the action statement. "MSFT/NOK, I'm seriously ashamed with this execution." Thats really gonna hit them where it hurts.

Ya know, looking over your previous posts you have experienced just about every problem imaginable with your phone. Really, the odds of getting such a lemon piece of junk must be astounding. I just tried to calculate it using my 920 and the dam thing started flashing "Tilt".

Of course I'm offended by such a message. Such nerve that device has to flash such a mesage at me...

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
What is the point in testing it with anything other than gloves or perhaps a stylus?

Who the **** is going to use their phone with some nail clippers or a napkin? :dry

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I have a screen protector on my 822, and the OtterBox it's in has one, too. I didn't have a glove handy, so I used the sleeve of my Columbia lined fleece jacket. Two layers of fleece and two layers of that thin nylon worked great. Just for kicks, I folded the sleeve over. Four layers of each takes a bit of work, but I can slide up the lock screen through it.

I'm not going to waste my time with all that other stuff because I'm never going to take anything metal to my screen.

Moocowdeluxe

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
From my experimenting is does seem to take a second or two for the screen sensitivity to adjust when using things like keys on the screen.

What I've been trying to find is a stylus or some kind of pen that will work on the screen, since that's the only use for it other than nails and gloves, really. Haven't had any luck so far, though, asides from those capacitive styluses, of course. But let's face it: those suck. It's like using an oversized crayon.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
How long does it take for the sensitivity to drop?

I will test it on my unit.

Oxvk3.gif

ishredthecello

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Here is your problem from the video...it's plugged in.

Seriously, when mine is plugged in the screen is horrible. I think it's a software problem with the phone itself. Try unplugging it and see if it works better.

alogde#WP

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Ok here is mu story lol, first 920 i had worked perfecrtly but the battery was not good, so i hit factory settings and it bricked, got a new 1 and the screen does work after a few seconds but when i go into settings and try to click on display+ touch it tries to open it but switches back to the settings menu, it also does the same with audio and feedback to Nokia, does anyone know what is going on, reallly appreciate the help, thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6