Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

The two of my most anticipated feature: high sensitivity touch (so when I ski I don't need to take off my gloves), and always on Skype.

None of these promises got delivered, the high sensitivity touchscreen simply does not respond to my gloves, or finger nails, or forks...That is, until you turn off the feature in settings, and then turn it back on again. When you do that, it'll work for a bit then slowly reverts back to a normal...dull screen.

and of course, we know all about the Skype situation.

MSFT/NOK, I'm seriously ashamed with this execution.

Here's a video capture
    Last edited by pmouse; 11-09-2012 at 07:10 PM.

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    All the reviews I've seen noted that the high sensitivity touch does not work with heavy duty gloves such as ski gloves.

Global Posts
    2,698 Global Posts
    How long does it take for the sensitivity to drop?

I will test it on my unit.

Global Posts
    1,107 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stadifer View Post
    All the reviews I've seen noted that the high sensitivity touch does not work with heavy duty gloves such as ski gloves.
    Yet there are multiple videos were reviewers and whatnot that are using Lumia 920 with banana, forks, tape rolls, another Lumia 920.
    Makes it hard to believe it would not work with anything.
    lordofthereef likes this.

Global Posts
    4,036 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    I got one today and I've tried using my screen with gloves, a usb key, fruit, nails etc it works perfectly on mine.
    riffraffy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tissotti View Post
    Yet there are multiple videos were reviewers and whatnot that are using Lumia 920 with banana, forks, tape rolls, another Lumia 920.
    Makes it hard to believe it would not work with anything.
    My experience in the store and with my actual phone is really hit and miss.

Since sending the original post, I've tested with all small objects I can find close me. Here's a list of things that "works" (provided that you reset the high sensitivity button. After a while, none of them work):

- Fork
    - Nail cutter (plastic case)
    - Coffee Beans
    - M&M
    - The Samsung Focus

Here's what doesn't work:
    - Pen (or pen cap)
    - Wallet
    - Mouse
    - Cup (paper or glass)
    - thick stack of paper
    - stone

?!?

As you can see it's completely arbitrary, I can't find any correlation in terms of shape, material, size, etc.

Or maybe I'm holding it wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by pmouse View Post
    The two of my most anticipated feature: high sensitivity touch (so when I ski I don't need to take off my gloves), and always on Skype.

None of these promises got delivered, the high sensitivity touchscreen simply does not respond to my gloves, or finger nails, or forks...That is, until you turn off the feature in settings, and then turn it back on again. When you do that, it'll work for a bit then slowly reverts back to a normal...dull screen.

and of course, we know all about the Skype situation.

MSFT/NOK, I'm seriously ashamed with this execution.

Here's a video capture
    I've captured a video of the randomness in the high sensitivity touch:

Am I getting a defective unit?

ran into this problem when I started having critical battery, which is less than 10% I totally understand now. Hopefully this just needs a firmware update or just does it to conserve every ounce of battery life.

Global Posts
    1,107 Global Posts
    :D
    Hard to say. Will certainly look at the feature in detail when i get my phone next week.

Didn't the guy on the Nokia Lumia 920 announcement use mittens to demonstrate the Super Sensitive touch?

I thought mine was broke too. after watching your video I tried to see if it was a battery issue because mine did not work as advertised and it was low batt. I used the same object twice ( a knife). first time it did not work. then I tried a different object that worked (the tip of a headphone plug) I tried the knife again and it worked. I think it has get used to using the smaller objects or something?

Quote Originally Posted by gemini5150 View Post
    I thought mine was broke too. after watching your video I tried to see if it was a battery issue because mine did not work as advertised and it was low batt. I used the same object twice ( a knife). first time it did not work. then I tried a different object that worked (the tip of a headphone plug) I tried the knife again and it worked. I think it has get used to using the smaller objects or something?
    That's the experience I'm seeing. I have over 80% battery, and as you can see in the video, the SAME object would not work, and later without doing anything, starts to work again.

Yeah, sorry that was my initial guess. But it's not battery life, the high sensitivity is really tempermental unless it learns as you use it? No idea at this point only had it a day. I live in Hawaii so I don't wear gloves....lol, gimmicky here.
    Check battery saving settings. I think it is on by default.

Windows Phone 8: Tips, Tricks and Hidden Features | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

So far mine works with nails, leather gloves, thick jacket sleeves, several layers of cloth, all pens with metal caps, knifes, forks and basically everything that is some kind of metal and all kind of fruits.

But sometimes it just fails with everything other than nails and after a bit of trying it starts working again. Maybe the software isn't fully matured yet.

Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    My experience in the store and with my actual phone is really hit and miss.

Since sending the original post, I've tested with all small objects I can find close me. Here's a list of things that "works" (provided that you reset the high sensitivity button. After a while, none of them work):

- Fork
    - Nail cutter (plastic case)
    - Coffee Beans
    - M&M
    - The Samsung Focus

Here's what doesn't work:
    - Pen (or pen cap)
    - Wallet
    - Mouse
    - Cup (paper or glass)
    - thick stack of paper
    - stone

?!?

As you can see it's completely arbitrary, I can't find any correlation in terms of shape, material, size, etc.

I would say that it is due to a lack of conductive properties in the material of the objects you use. It is still a capacitive screen, if you use a material that isn't conductive then I'd say it won't work. I'd assume things like plastic wouldn't work, which is probably why your pen or pen cap doesn't work. I'd expect metal things like forks to work best. I can't try it out as I don't have one yet but if you use things that aren't highly conductive like plastic and rubber I'd probably expect them not to work. I don't really know what they've done with that technology, but that's just my guess :)
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    19,947 Global Posts
    Samsung Focus working to use the screen. That made me laugh, actually!

WPCentral Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | CrackBerry Mod
    Isn't there a setting for this too?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    19,947 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Rodriguez Jr. View Post
    Isn't there a setting for this too?
    Off topic: That really your name? Lol.

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    $5 says somebody out there has tried surfing the web with their dong.

The real question is will it still work with a condom on?

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
    Coreldan and TheBadGuy_88 like this.

PIN
    No
    Quote Originally Posted by Philorube View Post
    $5 says somebody out there has tried surfing the web with their dong.

The real question is will it still work with a condom on?

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
    You could always do that, its made of the same stuff as your finger, I can't imagine it not working...

That being said, I tried my iPod Touch, and my HTC Titan, and they both worked great. I'd hate to have to carry around another phone during the winter to use my Lumia 920 though. ;)
    prjkthack
    Nokia Lumia 830, Nokia Lumia 1020, iPhone 6
    Surface Pro 128GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvi View Post
    Off topic: That really your name? Lol.
    Yep, how come?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    19,947 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Rodriguez Jr. View Post
    Yep, how come?
    You don't know why I asked? Lol.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352565584.368823.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Question: Do you have a screen cover on your phone? I put a zagg on mine. It still worked with fingernails and thing gloves, but thicket gloves did not. As soon as I removed it, it worked fine with just about anything I threw at it. I haven't touched the sensitivity settings ever.

Maybe stating the obvious but have you tried a hard reset?

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    I just tried using it through my comforter, and it worked beautifully.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast