High Sensitivity Touch doesn't work

pmouse

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
The two of my most anticipated feature: high sensitivity touch (so when I ski I don't need to take off my gloves), and always on Skype.

None of these promises got delivered, the high sensitivity touchscreen simply does not respond to my gloves, or finger nails, or forks...That is, until you turn off the feature in settings, and then turn it back on again. When you do that, it'll work for a bit then slowly reverts back to a normal...dull screen.

and of course, we know all about the Skype situation.

MSFT/NOK, I'm seriously ashamed with this execution.

Here's a video capture
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmbCU3m9f8Q

Last edited:

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
All the reviews I've seen noted that the high sensitivity touch does not work with heavy duty gloves such as ski gloves.

Yet there are multiple videos were reviewers and whatnot that are using Lumia 920 with banana, forks, tape rolls, another Lumia 920.
Makes it hard to believe it would not work with anything.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I got one today and I've tried using my screen with gloves, a usb key, fruit, nails etc it works perfectly on mine.

pmouse

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Yet there are multiple videos were reviewers and whatnot that are using Lumia 920 with banana, forks, tape rolls, another Lumia 920.
Makes it hard to believe it would not work with anything.
My experience in the store and with my actual phone is really hit and miss.

Since sending the original post, I've tested with all small objects I can find close me. Here's a list of things that "works" (provided that you reset the high sensitivity button. After a while, none of them work):

- Fork
- Nail cutter (plastic case)
- Coffee Beans
- M&M
- The Samsung Focus

Here's what doesn't work:
- Pen (or pen cap)
- Wallet
- Mouse
- Cup (paper or glass)
- thick stack of paper
- stone

?!?

As you can see it's completely arbitrary, I can't find any correlation in terms of shape, material, size, etc.

Or maybe I'm holding it wrong?

pmouse

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
The two of my most anticipated feature: high sensitivity touch (so when I ski I don't need to take off my gloves), and always on Skype.

None of these promises got delivered, the high sensitivity touchscreen simply does not respond to my gloves, or finger nails, or forks...That is, until you turn off the feature in settings, and then turn it back on again. When you do that, it'll work for a bit then slowly reverts back to a normal...dull screen.

and of course, we know all about the Skype situation.

MSFT/NOK, I'm seriously ashamed with this execution.

Here's a video capture
Lumia 920 High Sensitivity Touch - YouTube
I've captured a video of the randomness in the high sensitivity touch:

Lumia 920 High Sensitivity Touch - YouTube

Am I getting a defective unit?

Gken

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
ran into this problem when I started having critical battery, which is less than 10% I totally understand now. Hopefully this just needs a firmware update or just does it to conserve every ounce of battery life.

gemini5150

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I thought mine was broke too. after watching your video I tried to see if it was a battery issue because mine did not work as advertised and it was low batt. I used the same object twice ( a knife). first time it did not work. then I tried a different object that worked (the tip of a headphone plug) I tried the knife again and it worked. I think it has get used to using the smaller objects or something?

pmouse

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I thought mine was broke too. after watching your video I tried to see if it was a battery issue because mine did not work as advertised and it was low batt. I used the same object twice ( a knife). first time it did not work. then I tried a different object that worked (the tip of a headphone plug) I tried the knife again and it worked. I think it has get used to using the smaller objects or something?

That's the experience I'm seeing. I have over 80% battery, and as you can see in the video, the SAME object would not work, and later without doing anything, starts to work again.

Gken

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, sorry that was my initial guess. But it's not battery life, the high sensitivity is really tempermental unless it learns as you use it? No idea at this point only had it a day. I live in Hawaii so I don't wear gloves....lol, gimmicky here.

Yakkaimono

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
So far mine works with nails, leather gloves, thick jacket sleeves, several layers of cloth, all pens with metal caps, knifes, forks and basically everything that is some kind of metal and all kind of fruits.

But sometimes it just fails with everything other than nails and after a bit of trying it starts working again. Maybe the software isn't fully matured yet.

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
My experience in the store and with my actual phone is really hit and miss.

Since sending the original post, I've tested with all small objects I can find close me. Here's a list of things that "works" (provided that you reset the high sensitivity button. After a while, none of them work):

- Fork
- Nail cutter (plastic case)
- Coffee Beans
- M&M
- The Samsung Focus

Here's what doesn't work:
- Pen (or pen cap)
- Wallet
- Mouse
- Cup (paper or glass)
- thick stack of paper
- stone

?!?

As you can see it's completely arbitrary, I can't find any correlation in terms of shape, material, size, etc.

Or maybe I'm holding it wrong?

I would say that it is due to a lack of conductive properties in the material of the objects you use. It is still a capacitive screen, if you use a material that isn't conductive then I'd say it won't work. I'd assume things like plastic wouldn't work, which is probably why your pen or pen cap doesn't work. I'd expect metal things like forks to work best. I can't try it out as I don't have one yet but if you use things that aren't highly conductive like plastic and rubber I'd probably expect them not to work. I don't really know what they've done with that technology, but that's just my guess :)

panheid

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
$5 says somebody out there has tried surfing the web with their dong.

The real question is will it still work with a condom on?

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

prjkthack

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
$5 says somebody out there has tried surfing the web with their dong.

The real question is will it still work with a condom on?

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

You could always do that, its made of the same stuff as your finger, I can't imagine it not working...

That being said, I tried my iPod Touch, and my HTC Titan, and they both worked great. I'd hate to have to carry around another phone during the winter to use my Lumia 920 though. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)