full device backup? help!

busywithbeans

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I bought the Lumia 920 today after owning the original Samsung Focus since day one. When I bought it at AT&T, the sales rep did not copy my old SIM card to my new one like I thought they usually did. Instead he said that WP8 now has full device backup, and that I could transfer EVERYTHING (game saves, texts, etc.) wirelessly. Here's the problem, however: doesn't my phone need to be backed up to SkyDrive first in order for this to work? It doesn't just wirelessly copy my old SIM to my new one, right? Because about a month ago, my Zune software stopped being able to read my Focus for whatever reason, so it hasn't been backed up in awhile. Normally it wouldn't be a huge deal, but I just got home from a two week vacation and have TONS of photos on my Focus that I obviously do not want to lose. I'm not really sure why Zune stopped working for my, but I didn't want to worry about it too much since I was switching to WP8 + Zune was transferring to Xbox Music, so I thought that had something to do with it.

Basically, I just need step by step help/instructions from transferring everything from my old device to my new one. Sorry, I know this is probably a really dumb question, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

spincel

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I bought the Lumia 920 today after owning the original Samsung Focus since day one. When I bought it at AT&T, the sales rep did not copy my old SIM card to my new one like I thought they usually did. Instead he said that WP8 now has full device backup, and that I could transfer EVERYTHING (game saves, texts, etc.) wirelessly. Here's the problem, however: doesn't my phone need to be backed up to SkyDrive first in order for this to work? It doesn't just wirelessly copy my old SIM to my new one, right? Because about a month ago, my Zune software stopped being able to read my Focus for whatever reason, so it hasn't been backed up in awhile. Normally it wouldn't be a huge deal, but I just got home from a two week vacation and have TONS of photos on my Focus that I obviously do not want to lose. I'm not really sure why Zune stopped working for my, but I didn't want to worry about it too much since I was switching to WP8 + Zune was transferring to Xbox Music, so I thought that had something to do with it.

Basically, I just need step by step help/instructions from transferring everything from my old device to my new one. Sorry, I know this is probably a really dumb question, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

What do you mean by sim transfer? With sim, you can only transfer contact using the Nokia Transfer app. For data and other stuff, WP7 back up only store local and might not work with WP8 because different software. Your best chance is back up WP7 local, copy file to somewhere, install the new software to use with WP8, then copy pictures or anything you want into the location that the new software needs to transfer.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Unfortunately the store rep was incorrect, there is no way to backup your WP7 data like game saves and transfer it to your new phone.

For your photos you will definitely need zune unless you backup skydrive but the pictures will be at a lower resolution. Your best bet is to try and get zune working, a reinstall of the software wont remove your pictures already on your pc. Always a good idea to have a backup though, just in case.

Zune is still available from here to download: Zune Support | Download the Zune Music + Video Software | Install Zune - Xbox.com

busywithbeans

May 19, 2012
Visit site
ugh..that's what i was afraid of. so what was that first pop up that came up when i fired up the lumia though? it did that say something about transferring all your data.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I would guess its the transfer my data app nokia has on their phones, but I think that only does contacts. Just another one of those missing WP7 features that are now in WP8.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3