[poll] Lumia 920 customer satisfaction

the_thunderbird

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
This same complaint/issue thing happened with the 900, too. And like the 900 I bought this phone with WPCentral Forums induced nervousness however, this again has been unfounded. Certainly understand there are some issues but there seems to be some hyperbole on the forums with some users, and a large number of threads on the same issues exacerbating the appearance of the issues. These constant polls are always demonstrating that the quiet majority is really very satisfied. Hopefully the units that do have issues are resolved soon so we can have more productive discussions on making the 920 the best device possible. This board must be terrifying to a potential new user!

ericjojo

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I can see how people who previous owned WP devices like WP 8 a lot. Even if you switched from iOS, you'll probably really like it. However, if you, like me, came over from Android, it may be a different situation. I bought the Lumia because it's the only LTE device available here for the launch of the new 4G network in December.

For me, it's the most schizophrenic device I've ever seen:

- great (even excellent) hardware
- the best camera I've ever seen in a mobile phone
- excellent screen.
- heavy. I complained about this in other threads, but now I've gotten used to the weight and I actually like the heft.

However:

- I've been feeling like I'm wearing a straight-jacket ever since I started using WP8. What this OS does, it does well. However, it does VERY LITTLE. Except for moving colorful little blocks, I can't customize it whatsoever. I just fail to see what Microsoft mean by "personalization" in this context. Having the Whatsapp icon in the top right rather than in the bottom left corner isn't exactly my idea of a "personal" homescreen.

I'm not one of those Android users who installs custom ROMs etc, but after installing 20 apps on the Lumia, the whole device is a mess. The homescreen is a mess, and don't even get me started on the apps list.

So yes, I'll be selling mine, even though that means that I'll lose LTE functionality. I'll definitely check out WP8 again in a year or so - perhaps by then, Microsoft has found a way to organize apps on the OS and maybe they'll also have introduced a notification system and VPN by then.

I know that this is going to strike a nerve with you guys - but I just don't see how Microsoft is going to gain market-share with the OS as it presents itself right now. I have the feeling that a year from now, Nokia will be gone (or will have been eaten by Samsung, HTC, or even Microsoft itself) and WP8 will still be at 0.5% market-share.

Ahem...Mr Troll, if you don't want the Nokia Lumia, I'll love to buy from you and I know that many will love to do the same. Nobody forced you to switch...and oh yes WP8 is a very different OS compared to your boring iOS or even you malware-driven Android phones.

The truth is Microsoft never tries to gain even 20% marketshare overnight, they achieve it gradually, never seen a more patient company because they build well for the future.

You can go back to the over-hyped platforms you suggested and nobody will miss you. Just remember you on a time bomb.

danbbrantley

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
This same complaint/issue thing happened with the 900, too. And like the 900 I bought this phone with WPCentral Forums induced nervousness however, this again has been unfounded. Certainly understand there are some issues but there seems to be some hyperbole on the forums with some users, and a large number of threads on the same issues exacerbating the appearance of the issues. These constant polls are always demonstrating that the quiet majority is really very satisfied. Hopefully the units that do have issues are resolved soon so we can have more productive discussions on making the 920 the best device possible. This board must be terrifying to a potential new user!

This is so incredibly spot on. It's really kind of sad, too, because these forums do hold a lot of clout. I see other sights posting articles about problems that have been identified on these forums, I only wish I saw articles based on customer satisfaction polls like this one or based on Amazon.com's reviews of the phone. The quiet majority is definitely happy with the phone. I don't have one yet but I keep telling myself to stop going on these forums because they're so discouraging...I have to go and read Amazon reviews to get my confidence back afterward.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
As for the hype: it was exactly the same with WP7 and yet nobody bought the hardware after an initial phase of general enthusiasm. I just know that here in Switzerland, the phones don't sell at all

Switzerlands population isn't exactly known for jumping on new/unproven consumer technology. WP won't take off in Switzerland without it becoming successful elsewhere first. The same was true for Android and iPhone.

However, I agree that WP7 and WP8 are experiencing similar levels of hype here in Switzerland... in both cases it was/is almost non-existent. More often than not, WP only gets media coverage due to Nokia's financial situation. That some of Microsoft's services like Zune Pass, Local Scout and audio search aren't supported isn't helpful either.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm extremely happy with it, but I wouldn't recommend it to friends. I feel that in order to be happy with WP8 right now, you have to have an early-adopter mindset, be very patient, and be willing to cut the OS a lot of slack as it updates and the ecosystem builds out. IMO, you can't rely on this phone for social networking and navigation the way you can on more mature phone OSs yet. What you get with the 920 is terrific hardware and a slick new (and thankfully different) OS that has the promise of keeping current and pushing updates in a timely manner, and maybe listening to users' needs once in awhile rather than just what one person thinks works best for everyone. What you don't get yet is a lot of the apps and settings you're used to if you're currently on Android or iOS (something like Spotify is NOT Spotify if you're a subscriber already, and nothing is a replacement for Google+).

The reason I wouldn't recommend it is that anyone who is already in that mindset has already done the research, weighed the pros and cons and decided whether or not to get it on their own. Anyone not willing or able to do that research shouldn't move to this yet, because they'll be frustrated when they suddenly realize they can't easily make their phone go completely silent (no vibrate either) the way they were able to on their 1997 Nokia phone, or mark all emails as read the way they were able to on their 2001 Blackberry, and their favorite app isn't available yet (wat?! no Instagram!?).

LordGreylock

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Obviously no phone is perfect. Despite a few small issues, I have been very happy with this phone. I do recommend it to others. The only hesitation I see with people who are not very tech-savvy is they will miss out on some bigger name apps out there that all their other friends use. They will sometimes ask me "where is X and Y app", well, X and Y app don't actually exist on WP8 yet, but you can use Z app and it does the same thing.

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
This is so incredibly spot on. It's really kind of sad, too, because these forums do hold a lot of clout. I see other sights posting articles about problems that have been identified on these forums, I only wish I saw articles based on customer satisfaction polls like this one or based on Amazon.com's reviews of the phone. The quiet majority is definitely happy with the phone. I don't have one yet but I keep telling myself to stop going on these forums because they're so discouraging...I have to go and read Amazon reviews to get my confidence back afterward.

Thought it was just me lol! It has been hurdle after hurdle trying to get a L920 for me here in the UK but ironically the promise of this device is keeping me going... So Nokia must be doing something right! I've wound my self up to embarrassing levels over this device and because of these forums. The proof will be in the lumia pudding I guess but im still looking forward to it. I think... ;)

jivy26

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I personally love the phone and I'm trying to get the wife to convert from sgs3 as well..one thing I dislike is that the stock kb doesn't always show predictive text in some applications and makes it annoying to correct mispelled words because you can't just click on a certain part of the word and change that particular letter.

I did a hard reset as another user suggested and battery life after the gym this morning is 90% instead of 79-80%. So I recommend hard reset when you first get the phone.

NewbeJoe

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Just a note in case anyone has an issue; I got my 920 on the 10th and on the 12th the Camera stopped working. Not sure why but any app that tried accessing the camera would dump me out to the "Start" Screen. Even accessing it directly via the Camera button would do the same. A reboot did not resolve it, however if i turned the phone off and lightly popped it around the lens area with my knuckle, it started working again. I can only assume that the camera may have been stuck in ankward spot preventing it from functioning correctly. Either the focus or Optical Stabilization. It has not acted up since though and I use the camera often. Still love the phone.

o1legacygt

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
My only complaint is about AT&T. I must say this is the worst customer service I have ever seen. I wouldnt mind if the prices were reduced in lieu of poor customer service. However, the high prices and very poor customer service just kills me. Im actually considering trying to utilize the 14 day window to return and wait for phone to become unlocked and just use on T-Mobile network.

I know I love the phone enough to pay full price of 700+USD

Juiblex

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I like the phone (hardware), Nokia did an excellent job with it. I am loving the speed of LTE too. Amazing. But...
Now I am more often running into things that are making me feel more and more disappointed then excited. I seriously think with the music player they had a meeting and said that is the least someone can live with feature wise. I cannot think of a system in my home/work/car that plays music or video and does not come with a stop button. I was adding/removing some music via usb but had to go in and manually delete it on the phone because it was read only due to the fact it was still in use even though I had stopped playing music awhile ago.

And the file sorting is borderline non functional its so bad. I want to play an album with various artists, nope I have to add each artist on the album to the now playing one by one or make a play list. I don't know why developers exclude the play by folder like its a sin in media players.

My latest annoyance is the downloading of files through the browser, exe files apparently are not allowed, I wish I had a list of files Microsoft allows us to download because I don't know what else I am not allowed to do. And apparently there is the same issue with email attachments.

Overall I think I will stay with it. Hope I will find less issues and more goodies as time goes on. If not I think I'll go back to my android OS.

viedit

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
My initial battery issues appear to have self resolved, or I'm not using some app or function that I was using last week. So I can scratch that off the list of concerns at this point. I still find the daytime camera performance very dissapointing given the hype and quality of hardware put into the device. In normal lighting I'd rather use my old iPhone. It's just a better shooter in those situations. The video however on the Lumia is fantastic. It takes incredible videos for a "compromise" device like a phone. It's one of the most solidly built devices that will likely hold up to daily wear and tear better than any other device I've used and the app suite from Nokia is excellent. The navigation and music apps are very nice bonus items for the brand.

Most of my issues revolve around the OS and the state of the WP8 ecosystem. I came from a very mature platform (iOS) and just am not able to fully accept the absence of apps that I used on a daily basis. Fantasy sports from first party developers, native controller for my Sonos system, EA branded games, Days of Wonder games, quality education apps for my young kids, Citrix receiver, some vendor specific things for work, ect. I'm just missing A LOT of apps that I can get on the other other two big platforms.

In addition to that there's just a lot of small things that add up that I find frustrating. IE 10 is not a polished browser. The link recognition and responsiveness of the browser to understand that I clicked a link just isn't up to iOS. Clicking on links in forums can take two or three taps before I hit the magical spot where it understands that it' a URL instead of highlighting the entire cell of the thread description. Tapping short links embedded in other text is completely useless unless you pinch and scroll in. It's just a very "dumb" browswer compare to what I was used to. It's also missing a "tap to top" function that I used all of the time in Mobile Safari to auto scroll to the top of pages.

The calendar function is terribly limited and they can't even take the time to publish the contents in English let alone let me pinch to zoom in and read what is in the 30 day calendar.

And good luck reading a PDF attachment from an Email. I'm using the MS provided app for it (not even supported native by the OS? really?) and you can't even zoom in to read text. It's useless.

There's a lot I do like about the OS. Live tiles are excellent ways to convey information and function. And it gives me the freedom to devote the real estate space for the stuff I want instead of having a sea of similar sized icons. Add in the dynamic data that can be provided in them and it just simply is a better way to work than iOS or Android. I really like it. The hubs/people function is also very nice and something that is unique and very cool. It's a great way to organize your different groups of friends/family and keep that information seperated out.

I'm just having troubles accepting the "cons" of the platform at this time. I just felt like the entire thing was rushed to make a push for the Christmas season. It was obviously a great upgrade for people already in the ecosystem or a great introduction to a smart phone for new users, but I just don't see a lot of Apple or Android in particular people coming over and staying. The immaturity of the ecosystem is going to drive them batty.

ccube1

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Seems like the satisfaction level of lumia 920 is very high to near 90%, but number of complain threads occupy big portion of the forum, are they not voting here?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
My only complaint is about AT&T. I must say this is the worst customer service I have ever seen. I wouldnt mind if the prices were reduced in lieu of poor customer service. However, the high prices and very poor customer service just kills me. Im actually considering trying to utilize the 14 day window to return and wait for phone to become unlocked and just use on T-Mobile network.

I know I love the phone enough to pay full price of 700+USD

So you're going to pay $700 for a phone that you will use on a network that costs $60-70 a month versus getting the phone for $99 on a network that costs $100 a month?

Did you do the math? Over the course of a 2 year contract you'll save MAYBE $200 at most. For that you are getting an inferior network with no LTE and less coverage than AT&T or Verizon and using a phone they don't sell and probably won't be able/willing to support.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Seems like the satisfaction level of lumia 920 is very high to near 90%, but number of complain threads occupy big portion of the forum, are they not voting here?

I think it's because there's very little to complain about when it comes to the Lumia 920 as a device. Aside from defective hardware which is easily returned/exchanged, the bulk of the complaining has to do with WP8 and the lack of x feature or y app, or weird quirks, bugs and usability issues that are always there in early versions of any software. I'm sure a device-independent survey that was only about WP8 would show very different numbers.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

No it's just that the complainers are more vocal. Most people will not post just to say "the phone is great, I love it, no problems!"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3