[poll] Lumia 920 customer satisfaction

Shinigami26

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I can see how people who previous owned WP devices like WP 8 a lot. Even if you switched from iOS, you'll probably really like it. However, if you, like me, came over from Android, it may be a different situation. I bought the Lumia because it's the only LTE device available here for the launch of the new 4G network in December.

For me, it's the most schizophrenic device I've ever seen:

- great (even excellent) hardware
- the best camera I've ever seen in a mobile phone
- excellent screen.
- heavy. I complained about this in other threads, but now I've gotten used to the weight and I actually like the heft.

However:

- I've been feeling like I'm wearing a straight-jacket ever since I started using WP8. What this OS does, it does well. However, it does VERY LITTLE. Except for moving colorful little blocks, I can't customize it whatsoever. I just fail to see what Microsoft mean by "personalization" in this context. Having the Whatsapp icon in the top right rather than in the bottom left corner isn't exactly my idea of a "personal" homescreen.

I'm not one of those Android users who installs custom ROMs etc, but after installing 20 apps on the Lumia, the whole device is a mess. The homescreen is a mess, and don't even get me started on the apps list.

So yes, I'll be selling mine, even though that means that I'll lose LTE functionality. I'll definitely check out WP8 again in a year or so - perhaps by then, Microsoft has found a way to organize apps on the OS and maybe they'll also have introduced a notification system and VPN by then.

I know that this is going to strike a nerve with you guys - but I just don't see how Microsoft is going to gain market-share with the OS as it presents itself right now. I have the feeling that a year from now, Nokia will be gone (or will have been eaten by Samsung, HTC, or even Microsoft itself) and WP8 will still be at 0.5% market-share.

This is just a bunch of opinions honestly, coming from ios the WP8 homescreen is a revelation, I can have all the apps and information that I actually use, front and center continuously updating. "Does very little" what about being updated in real time? Explain to me what you consider so customizable about android, it came down to the nexus 4 and the lumia for me, both were awesome but I went with the lumia because of the homescreen, not in spite of it. "perhaps by then, Microsoft has found a way to organize apps on the OS" what you mean like alphabetically? They already do that... Or would you prefer Ios "bubbles within bubbles" method, how many apps do you really use? I mean honestly, I feel like people ***** about the apps thing too much when most people i know have apps for apps sake. Just your opinion and I understand and appreciate your point of view but some of what you're saying makes no sense.

asiaexpat

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
im coming from a lumia 710.

i love the extra real estate on the 920, the great camera, and the fact that if i set the text size to the max i can read emails, sms etc. without putting on my reading glasses.

waiting for a few apps but they are already in the pipeline

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Definitely happy customer recommending everyone to get it. My student's father wants WP8 badly and I showed him my phone today he was jealous, haha.

Shinigami26

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Damn I hate to do this, but I have to retract my Lumia recommendation, not even a week after I got the phone, I cannot receive text messages from anyone. You would think this was a network issue right? As did I, until I spent 3 hours with AT&T on the phone, only to have them tell me that it's the phone itself... I really was starting to enjoy the device, I even got over the terrible maps & drive interplay (no audible street names WTF???), confusing navigation on IE, all because I loved the phone especially in cyan. Now here I am unable to do basic phone functions... never again Nokia... Never again

ericjojo

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Sad news... My Lumia 920 just fell flat on a ceramic tile and my screen is badly cracked. Been to Nokia stores here in Nigeria and they done have the screens yet. I'm so sad and confused, I really need help. Any suggestions please?

Steven Ealy

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I will say that the phone is far from perfect, but i still like it very much for my tastes. One of the biggest surprises I found out after owning the phone is that everything was the complete opposite of what the public said it was.

What they said: The phone is too heavy

What I found: I am have a slim frame (6'2" 155 pounds) and I have not experienced any wrist cramping symptoms while owning this phone for 5 months now. The real problem with the phone is not that its too heavy, but rather that its too slippery! The polycarbonate finish has caused me from time to time to drop my phone on hardened floors (at least 3 times now!).

What they said: The battery life is poor

What I found: Bluetooth, WiFi, GPS, and NFC are turned on by default. Of course its going to kill battery life. A simple Windows 8 app can be setup on your start screen to quickly turn off these battery-hogging features on demand. The built-in battery saver app helps as well by preventing background apps from running, as well as turning of automatic synchronization of emails. Also, turning off wifi when turning cellular, and turning off cellular data when using Wifi can boost your battery life 1-2% additionally because its not wasting unnecessary battery life looking for access points/updates. WIth heavy use I have been averaging 6-8 hours of battery life, with moderate use, between 8-10 hours, with average use, between 1 1/2 to 2 days. I have noticed that the life of the battery depends a lot on how contiguously you use it. Surf the web in four 15 minute increments and you might find the battery life has decreased 10%. Surf the web for an hour straight and you'll notice the battery life has gone down 15%. The hotter the phone gets, the faster the battery drains.

What they said: The camera is very good

What I found: The camera can be very disappointing in all scenarios if you don't know how to operate the camera. The built-in camera app for Windows Phone just doesn't cut it for night time photography. No matter what mode I used (auto, night, portrait, etc) my low light photos turned out like crap. It wasn't until I found a beautiful (paid, ugh) app called ProShot that allowed me to manually adjust the shutter speed, iso, EV balance that my night photos started turning out acceptable. Given acceptable lightning the camera does shine at producing HD quality photos, but consumers are in for a rude awakening when they find out the stock settings aren't very good.

What they said: The phone is practically indestructible.

What I found: The torture tests used on YouTube/Internet are very biased in general. If you understand the laws of physics and mineralogy you'll understand why these tests always pass. One thing to take into consideration is the Mohs scale of minerals in general. The Nokia Lumia 920 is built with standard Corning Gorilla Glass that creates a scratch "resistant" barrier to common objects on your screen. This gorilla glass has a stated Mohs scale of 6.8. Why is it that someone can take a sharp knife (or their car keys) and slice at the phone without any scratches appearing?! Brass and nickel plated objects like coins, keys, and utility knives have a Mohs rating between 3-5 and because of this they can never scratch the phone! Finally as far as the drop test is concerned, most of the ones I found were unfavorably landing on the polycarbonate side of the phone, which because of its durable build quality will not affect the functionality of the phone. The point of doing a drop test is to see if the frame survives, but most importantly if the screen survives. You cannot control when you drop your phone, or how it will drop. Thats why its called an accident. Here is visual proof that dropping your lumia 920 on its screen can completely ruin it.

Nokia+Lumia+920+dropped+zxpouvias+reddit.jpg

What they said: Windows Phone 8 suffers from a lack of quintessential apps.

What I found: Our consumerist society makes it nearly impossible for Windows Phone 8 to put a dent in the market right out of the gate. Developers are reluctant to create apps on the Windows Phone platform because 95% of their target audience use Android and iOS platforms. It's even more difficult to switch to Windows Phone even for the casual user because that one single essential app is not available for the Windows Phone 8 platform. My co-worker said he wouldn't switch from his iPhone because Windows Phone did not have instagram or Pandora radio. My sister would not switch simply because there is no Google Play. Microsoft can do 99% of everything correctly, but its that 1% that's the most prohibitive. App count is a very important factor you cannot rule out. It's not that its important who can create the most apps, but rather who has garnered the most attention from developers. The developer potential is there, because coding a Windows Phone offers a similar Microsoft-based programming environment, but if nobody knows the door is open, they will lock you out for life. I hope it doesn't come down to that! The Windows Phone 8 platform is a beautiful OS and the hardware complements the software elegantly.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
What they said: Windows Phone 8 suffers from a lack of quintessential apps.

What I found: Our consumerist society makes it nearly impossible for Windows Phone 8 to put a dent in the market right out of the gate. Developers are reluctant to create apps on the Windows Phone platform because 95% of their target audience use Android and iOS platforms. It's even more difficult to switch to Windows Phone even for the casual user because that one single essential app is not available for the Windows Phone 8 platform. My co-worker said he wouldn't switch from his iPhone because Windows Phone did not have instagram or Pandora radio. My sister would not switch simply because there is no Google Play. Microsoft can do 99% of everything correctly, but its that 1% that's the most prohibitive. App count is a very important factor you cannot rule out. It's not that its important who can create the most apps, but rather who has garnered the most attention from developers. The developer potential is there, because coding a Windows Phone offers a similar Microsoft-based programming environment, but if nobody knows the door is open, they will lock you out for life. I hope it doesn't come down to that! The Windows Phone 8 platform is a beautiful OS and the hardware complements the software elegantly.

i do not own a Lumia 920 (i have the 620) but i'm here to point out Pandora was launched for WP just yesterday! And why the heck your sis would want Google Play on another OS? that's the Google app store, it didn't make much sense to me lol

Aditya Phulwani

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
My BlackBerry representative came into my work to help us out with sales and product knowledge. I popped my SIM card into a Z10 to play around with for a week or so. I'm honestly thinking of leaving the country and hiding out so I never have to return it. I like it so much better than the Lumia 920. I was already fed up with Windows Phone 8/the Lumia 920 because of it's annoying animation times, scattered and disorganized notifications, lack of sound profiles, bulkiness, random freezes on the "resuming..." screen, poor email client, how many apps are just shortcuts to websites - YouTube for example...(although sensible developers are helping with the addition of things like MetroTube), how I have to wait for many apps to "resume", inability to change anything about the keyboard, and how the search hotkey can't be customized to use something other than Bing, random app crashes, terrible multitasking, unable to safe text drafts/lock threads or messages, lack of quick toggles - etc...the list goes on and on.

I like being able to go into my BlackBerry hub, interact with Facebook updates, text, email, see phone notifications, call history etc - without having to leave the screen and go find the dedicated app for that. It's so much more efficient, and I basically spend 99% of my time in the Hub, unless I want to see my news feed etc. I had to vote for "Not good, better switch to other smartphone" in this poll. BlackBerry is where it's at for me now. It'll be a sad day when I have to go back to my Lumia.

Awesome. Have fun with the ****ty ported Android App's and the sub-par camera and the dull OS and the not really intuitive gestures.

Seriously, by any chance did you visit the App Store? Compared to even the windows store, forget iOS and android, the BB Store is unbelievably lacking. The new apps are mostly ported or semi-ported android app's that are laggy and feel very very cheap.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
wow srsly? what the **** did you do to the phone? my 620 (yeeeps the lil brother) runs completely smooth, never experienced lags or freezes...terrible multi-tasking? RLY? apps crashing? not ONE single app i downloaded so far has crashed! And have u even learned how to properly use People Hub+Me?

Lack of quick toggles? There a lot of connection tiles available at the store, which quickly allows you to access wi-fi, cellular and so on! it's not one-tap so what? we are not mentally retarded to the point we can't bare one extra tap :)

Aw and good luck with those crappy Android-ported apps lol

So how can you say that about 920 when my 620 just does everything lag-free, no freezes, no hangs, no app crashes...

How much did Blackberry paid you? lol

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
My BlackBerry representative came into my work to help us out with sales and product knowledge. I popped my SIM card into a Z10 to play around with for a week or so. I'm honestly thinking of leaving the country and hiding out so I never have to return it. I like it so much better than the Lumia 920. I was already fed up with Windows Phone 8/the Lumia 920 because of it's annoying animation times, scattered and disorganized notifications, lack of sound profiles, bulkiness, random freezes on the "resuming..." screen, poor email client, how many apps are just shortcuts to websites - YouTube for example...(although sensible developers are helping with the addition of things like MetroTube), how I have to wait for many apps to "resume", inability to change anything about the keyboard, and how the search hotkey can't be customized to use something other than Bing, random app crashes, terrible multitasking, unable to safe text drafts/lock threads or messages, lack of quick toggles - etc...the list goes on and on.

I like being able to go into my BlackBerry hub, interact with Facebook updates, text, email, see phone notifications, call history etc - without having to leave the screen and go find the dedicated app for that. It's so much more efficient, and I basically spend 99% of my time in the Hub, unless I want to see my news feed etc. I had to vote for "Not good, better switch to other smartphone" in this poll. BlackBerry is where it's at for me now. It'll be a sad day when I have to go back to my Lumia.

Certain problems you mentioned with the Lumia and WP, also affect BlackBerry 10. Also, I can save text message drafts on my Lumia.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3